• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Swift 2004 carbon soot on the exhaust

sira

Dear Friends  I need your advise on this. 

I brought this car 6, 7 month back and i realized the fuel consumption is very bad. some times it is 6 Kmpl. also noticed that the exhaust is dark.

So I taken my car to 2 different mechanics and they did almost every thing. then consumption became 7-8 kmpl . but the issue is exhaust pipe got carbon soot and plugs look bit a dark .

• No MIL indication and no error on engine scan
  • Emission test was passed

see my tuneup details. 

Tuneup 1 - mechanic 1

1. clean all injectors
  2. replaced the Air filter
  3. Unable to remove throttle body due to bad bolt. Applied  injector cleaner in to that

Same issue

Tuneup 2 - mechanic 2

1. Clean all  injectors
  2. Removed the manifold and cleaned all of them 
  3. Cleaned the EGR Valve
  4. Cleaned Throttle body - by removing it from manifold and cleanned all sensors
  5. Replaced the Spark plugs - iridium 

Same issue

Tuneup 3 - mechanic 2

1. Replaced all 4 injectors. 
  2. Cleaned the Throttle body
  3. replaced the air filter

doesn't  seems fixed the issue. Now the same mechanic saying , replace oxygen sensor 2 next to catalytic converter. 

I have spent hell of money on this issue  and  bit a reluctant to spend more rather not knowing exact  fault. I went to Anuradhapura on week end and it dose only 12 Kmpl. so i think it should do more than that.

Do you think this is normal? . Can this be a Oxygen sensor issue ?cannot see the error on the scan . The same mechanic said, some occasions sensors may not get 100% faulty but the reading may get degraded. but i'm not convinced with that. 

Hope you understand the this and waiting for your valuable comments

thank you 

2004 Swift. you got 7-8 Kmpl in city and 12 kmpl outstation. i know few friends who use/used this car, what i can say is , the only problem is "your expectation" is high.

you can get an idea from emission test result (how close the engine runs with optimum mixture),

check HC value , CO value and Lambda.if these values are OK and still a vehicle fuel consumption is very low then probably there is mechanical loss which can not be solved by doing a engine tun-up (mechanical loss = low efficient power conversion of a component starts from pistons to wheels, ex: brake binding, gear box, crank bearings.... i mean anything ).

Edited by MV-5

1 hour ago, MV-5 said:

2004 Swift. you got 7-8 Kmpl in city and 12 kmpl outstation. i know few friends who use/used this car, what i can say is , the only problem is "your expectation" is high.

Spot on! Well said!

Before wasting your time and money doing all of these things blindly, you should have just done a tune what involves a throttle body clean up, plus injector clean up, followed by a diagnosis. The scan would have revealed if anything is off. 

Excessive carbon in your exhaust is due to the engine running rich. Get a scan done and pay attention to ignition timing and O2 sensor values during cold start and observe the changes. It would be great if you could share a close photo of the exhaust tip to actually see if you are worried for nothing. Exhaust tips are black you know... they're not purple. :)

Also, it was wrong to use injector cleaner on the throttle body. It should have been cleaned with carb/throttle body cleaner, and the sensors should have been cleaned with an electronic parts cleaner. Also, some throttle bodies are not to be cleaned by spraying carb cleaner directly at them. Instead a clean rag is to be dampened with the solvent and cleaned by hand. 

16 hours ago, MV-5 said:

This is very true. If your car is Swift Jeep Model with M13A engine. There is nothing wrong with your engine. 7-8 in city and 12 outstation (with AC)  is what you can get maximum from this car because I also have one.