• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Charges when import a vitz from an auction

Gamge

Dear members

I think of a Vitz 2015/16  to import from a Japan auction. I may have to contact a dealer or someone imports. I went through some auction sites and they show the FOB prices. Accordingly, I would like to know the final cost when the car is released from Sri Lankan harbor. I do believe that there are insurance, shipping, clearance so and so charges available. But I don't have  any idea about the figures exactly so that I can compare sellers and go for a reasonable price (+ condition). Someone please let me know the breakdown starting from FOB values.  In addition, let me know any best auction sites available if possible.

NB: I saw one explanation in this forum but it was obsolete (for 2010) I therefore wish for the latest.

(Perhaps importers deslike this question and to reveal prices, but hope, rather many buyers will be benefited with a reasonable price than exorbitant ones)

Edited by Gamge

2 hours ago, Gamge said:

Dear members

I think of a Vitz 2015/16  to import from a Japan auction. I may have to contact a dealer or someone imports. I went through some auction sites and they show the FOB prices. Accordingly, I would like to know the final cost when the car is released from Sri Lankan harbor. I do believe that there are insurance, shipping, clearance so and so charges available. But I don't have  any idea about the figures exactly so that I can compare sellers and go for a reasonable price (+ condition). Someone please let me know the breakdown starting from FOB values.  In addition, let me know any best auction sites available if possible.

NB: I saw one explanation in this forum but it was obsolete (for 2010) I therefore wish for the latest.

(Perhaps importers deslike this question and to reveal prices, but hope, rather many buyers will be benefited with a reasonable price than exorbitant ones)

Not true....someone asked the same question about what CIF price was which I answered to just last week.

FOB = Free (or sometimes Freight) on Board. Basically it is the cost for you to buy the car at the sellers port/collection point without any shipping or insurance charges to the buyers port.

Auctions do not give FOB prices as the price will depend on the winning bid. What you would have seen is a dealer/agent's site with FOB price for a certain car that is currently available in auction (these guys would have already accounted for the actual purchase price of the car at auction and delivery charge to their vehicle yard for reselling).

When you import a car to Sri Lanka you will have to find out what the final CIF (cost = FOB price, insurance, freight) price is. Insurance and freight costs depends on where in Japan the car is getting shipped out of and where it will be trans-shipped through, etc...for that you need to talk to a vehicle exporter in Japan or an agent in SL that does this work.

Not to be rude or unhelpful but you need to find this out for yourself because none of us can give an exact figure on any of these things (nor should you expect us to....none of us are vehicle dealers).

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Dear members
Once I tried
For vitz 2017Jan Fm package
CIF ¥ 1200000 ~Rs. 1.62M
Tax. Rs. 1.7 M
When it comes to SL they say ~4M
So it seems agent fees n all other registration deregistration costs .7M
Which is~ 40% from cars CIF

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yma said:

Once I tried
For vitz 2017Jan Fm package
CIF ¥ 1200000 ~Rs. 1.62M
Tax. Rs. 1.7 M
When it comes to SL they say ~4M
So it seems agent fees n all other registration deregistration costs .7M
Which is~ 40% from cars CIF

These figures can change from case to case....perhaps the better response would be to give the OP info about the dealer/agent you used to get these numbers so he can compare general price ranges.

Edited by iRage

These figures can change from case to case....perhaps the better response would be to give the OP info about the dealer/agent you used to get these numbers so he can compare general price ranges.
My calculation might be very wrong. But that was d maximum a layperson could figure out.
So we need input from vehicle genius.

3 hours ago, Yma said:

My calculation might be very wrong. But that was d maximum a layperson could figure out.
So we need input from vehicle genius.

Well. Can u introduce the agent/dealer you got the above values from ? Then he would be getting the info he needs straight from the lion's mouth ne ?

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Well. Can u introduce the agent/dealer you got the above values from ? Then he would be getting the info he needs straight from the lion's mouth ne ?

@iRage and @Yma  I highly appreciate all your inputs and thanks. I think I got an idea how it would be better to move forward.

Edited by Gamge

Dear all members,

While looking for further information, I found followings and hope that it will be more useful to anyone who wish to import a car. These have charges roughly so that you can have an idea and experiences of others while importing.  

https://rayazmuthalif.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/a-brief-guide-on-importing-a-car-to-sri-lanka/

DISCLAIMER: I don't have any connection with any of them above. I mentioned only for sharing information. Relevant credits should go to the authors of the resources.

Well, I went through this process two times when I was in Japan some time back.  As previous members mentioned there are certain things which you can't handle entirely by yourself even being in Japan.  If you able read and write Nihongo it may be beneficial (no English documentation in vehicle import trade) .  When it comes to bidding some sellers tend to inflate prices if there is a more demand for particular model/ options/color. Once winning the bid, there is a quite a process to transport the car into the dispatching port. If there is a waiting period for shipping, you need to arrange a yard/place to keep the car until its turn. So better to go through some dealer/ agent who is into the business there (or friend).  After reaching the vehicle in SL, again you need to go through a clearing agent to release it from customs.  

You may save some money by going all these process by yourself but it takes lot of time and effort from you.