• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Audi A1 1.0 TFSI vs Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost

dantoddd

Question

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, dantoddd said:

I'm considering buying one of these two vehicles. the Audi is about 3000 GBP higher in price. Does anyone here have experience with these vehicles. 

Also, do you know anyone who is importing these? Can i import a vehicle by myself, or is that too difficult?

both have local agents why don't you check with them

Sunday papers have a list of dealer ads if you care to look

3 hours ago, dantoddd said:

THx. But i can do those on my own. I'm looking for more specific information from ppl in the forum

Well...you did ask where you can buy them from and Kush's response was more than fair. Agents or a parallel importer you would find on the papers. So as you said you can do that yourself so I don't see why the question was asked. If you are asking for recommendations on importers then you should ask that ?

As for importing it yourself....its not that bad....you just need to find a car, apply for an import permit, get it shipped and then clear it at this end. Its not difficult you just have to put in some leg work.

However, if you are looking at buying a brand new unit, going with the agent does have its own benefits (and sometimes the excess/premium you would pay is worth it)

5 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...you did ask where you can buy them from and Kush's response was more than fair. Agents or a parallel importer you would find on the papers. So as you said you can do that yourself so I don't see why the question was asked. If you are asking for recommendations on importers then you should ask that ?

As for importing it yourself....its not that bad....you just need to find a car, apply for an import permit, get it shipped and then clear it at this end. Its not difficult you just have to put in some leg work.

However, if you are looking at buying a brand new unit, going with the agent does have its own benefits (and sometimes the excess/premium you would pay is worth it)

Thx. Any idea what kind of money you can save by doing the importation yourself. Tbh, I'll probably get a model from 215.2016 or even 2017. Nothing brand new.

I've seen a few A1 now in dealerships any idea if they're any good. I haven't seen any fiestas though

Also apart from UK where else can we import cars from?

Edited by dantoddd

10 hours ago, dantoddd said:

Thx. 1. Any idea what kind of money you can save by doing the importation yourself. Tbh, I'll probably get a model from 215.2016 or even 2017. Nothing brand new.

I've seen a few A1 now in dealerships 2. any idea if they're any good. I 3. haven't seen any fiestas though

Also apart from UK 4. where else can we import cars from?

1. Depends on the car itself..price (thus how much you save) will change drastically depending on the condition of the car, features/accessories/options, etc... the realistic answer to this question is...no one knows for certain. You will have to shop around and see how much the car is, calculate importation costs and compare that with what would be available at local dealerships at that particular time. Also remember....given enough time you will always find a cheaper car than what you are looking at (might not be in the best of condition but that would be the case). So figure out what car you want, figure out how much you can actually afford and get the most you can get for that price.

2. Can only be answered by actually looking at the car.

3.  Can only speculate as to why it is the case. Could be that the masses have a misguided dislike towards the Fiesta thus it would not move that fast off the showroom floor. Could be that the price difference between the brand new and imported used one is not that much ?

4. Japan, Australia, South Africa, Singapore, Hong Kong, from any country where it is RH Driven. Only thing is you have to calculate the cost of importing it from some countries is financially non-sensible. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dantoddd said:

Thx. Any idea what kind of money you can save by doing the importation yourself. Tbh, I'll probably get a model from 215.2016 or even 2017. Nothing brand new.

I've seen a few A1 now in dealerships any idea if they're any good. I haven't seen any fiestas though

Also apart from UK where else can we import cars from?

Check your inbox have sent you a PM.

• Thanks 1

I cannot speak about Audis but I can speak about Ford. I have a good rapport with the local Ford agent.

NONE of the 1000 CC Fords are approved by the Ford Motor Company for Sri Lanka. Only approved models are brought down by local agents and they are very strict about it. The reasons are pretty simple. The turbo units, the cooling systems and the suspension, the electronics and many other components may not be durable under Sri Lankan climatic and road conditions. I suppose it is the same with other 1000CC cars as well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crosswind said:

. I suppose it is the same with other 1000CC cars as well. 

I think the agents bring down at least the A1,A3,Q2 with 1L engines. So they should be released for SL or VW doesn't care how long they will last in our very small market.

On 12/22/2017 at 8:26 PM, ajm said:

I think the agents bring down at least the A1,A3,Q2 with 1L engines. So they should be released for SL or VW doesn't care how long they will last in our very small market.

Well... I don't know about the said agent but there are agents in this country who import unapproved models through third countries (for example, a European-made car intended for Singapore can land in the agent's yard in Sri Lanka via Singapore without the manufacturer even knowing about it.

about a decade and a half-ago, one agent had a side-business of bringing down second hand JDM models, until the manufacturer realised this and threatened to take away their dealership.

Edited by Crosswind