• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki Rs 2017 highbrid steering rack noise and play

Mokip

Question

Update

Sorry for bumping an old thread just wanted to give a update for this problem. This is caused because the bushes in the steering rack doesn't support the road conditions in SL. The agents can repair it , the take the rack apart and replace 3 bushes on it (two on the edges and one on the steering motor area. They also check the steering angles with some specialized equipment. Once the rack is fitted back to the car they reset the steering position. 6 months warranty is given and they also say the new bushes are suited for SL.The problem can occur on miledges as low as 2000kms. i got the symptoms at 4500kms.

20181107_144353.jpg

Inked20181107_144237_LI.jpg

Edited by TheFlyingFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The lifetime and wear of suspension and steering components highly depend on where and how you drive your car. A car that's been driven on rough terrain will have worn out suspension/steering components when compared to a car with the same mileage, but driven on smooth tarmac. It can also be due to aftermarket wheels, over-inflated tyres and so on as well.

This is of course not denying that some cars have inherent suspension/steering issues that cause them to wear faster than others, but the above reasons are likely causes for your issue. Especially on such a new car.

If you have noise coming from the steering rack, it needs to be inspected first. If the damage is external to the rack (i.e. tie rod ends, rack ends etc.), they need to be replaced. If the rack itself is worn out and depending on the extent of the damage, it might be able to machine it and repair it. If not, a replacement steering rack will have to be installed.

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎19 at 6:38 AM, Davy said:

If you have noise coming from the steering rack, it needs to be inspected first.

hi, recently noticed a small low pitch groaning noise inside cabin passenger side ,accompanied by a small increase of tightness. It comes only when turning from left end position to centre position. What could be the reason,pump,rack,tie rods,steering column or anything else? This A4 has a full hydraulic steering system, no electric.

4 hours ago, ajm said:

hi, recently noticed a small low pitch groaning noise inside cabin passenger side ,accompanied by a small increase of tightness. It comes only when turning from left end position to centre position. What could be the reason,pump,rack,tie rods,steering column or anything else? This A4 has a full hydraulic steering system, no electric.

Ohh....that line....if only Komi and VVT were around :D

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, ajm said:

So the problem is only there when you turn it from left end to center, when it reaches to center problem disappear even though you continue to turn it to right.

18 hours ago, ajm said:

The tightness can be anything in the front steering/suspension assembly. It can be from a worn out ball joint in the tie rod end to a bent rack end that is causing the piston to move inside the rack at an angle, causing friction. However, since you say that there is a noise associated with it, my first guess is a clogged spool valve inside the steering rack.

In any case, your car needs to be put up on a hoist, and the rack ends separated from the tie rod ends to manually check for differences in tightness, and worn/bent components. If all that is good, then I suggest flushing out the power steering fluid to clear out the system from debris and blocks. If the issue was due to a clogged spool valve, there's a good chance that this will clear it out.

Note that what I've mentioned above is assuming your power steering pump is OK. If the groaning noise you hear is only at idle/low RPM, it might be that the pump is on its way out. Race the engine and steer to either side and observe if the noise disappears. If it does, it's likely that your power steering pump is not operating at full pressure at idle/low RPM.

• Thanks 1

The tightness can be anything in the front steering/suspension assembly. It can be from a worn out ball joint in the tie rod end to a bent rack end that is causing the piston to move inside the rack at an angle, causing friction. However, since you say that there is a noise associated with it, my first guess is a clogged spool valve inside the steering rack.
In any case, your car needs to be put up on a hoist, and the rack ends separated from the tie rod ends to manually check for differences in tightness, and worn/bent components. If all that is good, then I suggest flushing out the power steering fluid to clear out the system from debris and blocks. If the issue was due to a clogged spool valve, there's a good chance that this will clear it out.
Note that what I've mentioned above is assuming your power steering pump is OK. If the groaning noise you hear is only at idle/low RPM, it might be that the pump is on its way out. Race the engine and steer to either side and observe if the noise disappears. If it does, it's likely that your power steering pump is not operating at full pressure at idle/low RPM.
I think the 2017 swift has eps and not a hydrolic pump.

2 hours ago, Davy said:

If the groaning noise you hear is only at idle/low RPM, it might be that the pump is on its way out

hi,the pump was already making screeching noises at low rpm,was going to change it and do the flush. But this additional groaning noise inside cabin came recently,that's why the question if any other parts need to be checked.

hi Stig,this is 15year old A4.

hi,the pump was already making screeching noises at low rpm,was going to change it and do the flush. But this additional groaning noise inside cabin came recently,that's why the question if any other parts need to be checked.
I got confused because it was posted in the swift thread

21 hours ago, ajm said:

If the pump is faulty, you should replace it as soon as possible to prevent damage to the rack. A faulty pump usually fails to pump fluid maintaining the required pressure, and that will "starve" the rack and cause damage. Delay it more and be prepared to replace the rack as well.

On 12/18/2017 at 12:47 PM, Mokip said:

Has anybody using the  suzuki rs 2017 model e experience the above issue please share your thoughts and how to fix it  or advice.

Any recommendations please ?

I m owning one !.. I also have the same problem but does not come all the time. some times after long drive on trafic it comes. 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2018 at 4:03 PM, hasisoft said:

I m owning one !.. I also have the same problem but does not come all the time. some times after long drive on trafic it comes. 

i bought one recently... im also experiencing similar problem. found the root cause and the solution for this?

Anything related. Hope they haven't started sharing components with Japan :P

https://www.motorbeam.com/2017-maruti-dzire-steering-assembly-replaced/

Btw did you try taking it to a good alignment joint. Maybe you could jack it up & look for any play on the wheels or noises coming when turning the steering. Could be anything from your steering rack, track rod, tie-rod ends, lower arms, anti roll bar joints etc. Very peculiar given its a brand new car.

On 12/18/2017 at 12:47 PM, Mokip said:

Has anybody using the  suzuki rs 2017 model e experience the above issue please share your thoughts and how to fix it  or advice.

Any recommendations please ?

i bought one recently... im also experiencing similar problem. found the root cause and the solution for this?

23 minutes ago, MV-5 said:

That's so strange. It sounds pretty much like grinding.

I'm hoping to get this checked out, will reply on this thread if i have an update.

Thanks for your reply! :)

i got it checked.

im going to explain in layman terms since i dont know the technical jargons for these.

the issue was this section which i have attached herewith. This section is what connects the rack and the steering column (as i was told), once the gap between the sections connect both ends is tightened i didnt get that noise. however i was asked to monitor if im getting the noise again.

2018-03-28_105447.png