• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can I clean battery terminal while engine is ON?

flashmark

Hi,

My car dashboard lights flickering and all the meters in dashboard not working. I think this happen because of bad battery terminals. But I can not remove connectors which connect to the terminals because then my car player get reset.

Can I clean battery terminals without turning off the engine?

Or else Can I use car jump starter power bank to give battery power until I clean the terminals? 

Are there any other ways to clean battery terminals with support of power bank?

If you need a continuous power supply, you may need to connect a 12v battery parallel way and then remove the terminal from the battery you want to clean the terminals. 

I don't think removing terminal connections while engine is running is a good idea.

Simply connect another battery (12v) parallel way. Make sure the open connections are properly covered to avoid any damage.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nishan.dj said:

If you need a continuous power supply, you may need to connect a 12v battery parallel way and then remove the terminal from the battery you want to clean the terminals. 

I don't think removing terminal connections while engine is running is a good idea.

Simply connect another battery (12v) parallel way. Make sure the open connections are properly covered to avoid any damage.

Is that OK to use below steps.?

1. Start the engine using main battery

2. Connect 12v power bank to connectors

3. Remove connectors from battery terminals 

4. clean the terminals

5. Put back the connectors to main battery

6. Remove 12 v power bank from the connectors

7. Stop the engine

30 minutes ago, flashmark said:

My 12v power bank automatically turn off when there is no output device. I'm not sure whether the power bank provide power as backup battery when the car engine is not running.

Do not connect your power bank while the engine is running because that might damage the bank because you get 14V alternator output continuously connected to power bank's output. Better to play safe. Of course you do have a small load of about 50mA for the ECU when the engine is off but if that is not enough to keep your power bank  alive then switch on the parking lights to provide an additional load. 

Edited by Rumesh88

1 hour ago, flashmark said:

My 12v power bank automatically turn off when there is no output device. I'm not sure whether the power bank provide power as backup battery when the car engine is not running.

Use a lead acid battery (12V) to continue the power while main battery is disconnected. 

You do not need to start the engine. And mostly you shouldn't start the engine and do the electrical works if you are not a professional in that field who knows the stuff all around.

3 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

Do not connect your power bank while the engine is running because that might damage the bank because you get 14V alternator output continuously connected to power bank's output. Better to play safe. Of course you do have a small load of about 50mA for the ECU when the engine is off but if that is not enough to keep your power bank  alive then switch on the parking lights to provide an additional load. 

Thanks. Seems like a good idea.

3 hours ago, matroska said:

why don't you go to a battery place and get it sorted out - they will connect a backup supply 

Thing here is I couldn't find a backup battery near by. Is it safe to drive with this problem? 

Looks to me like a connection issue. Start by checking your fuses. Then move on to checking the connectors behind the gauge cluster and engine compartment. I'm afraid you will have to spend quite a bit of time checking and making sure harnesses aren't damaged and all connectors are properly secured.

Is it just the gauge cluster or do you have flickering headlamps and other components as well? From the video, it looks like the clock on the dashboard isn't affected. If it's just the gauge cluster, it can also be a circuitry issue on it. But you should ensure that fuses and connections are all OK first.

• Like 1