• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need some guide on buying a Prius 2nd Gen 2008/2009

amsandun

Hello guys,

I am looking to buy my first car and going through many choices. I just came to know some Prius 2nd Gen models are available closer to my budget (3.3 - 3.5 mn).

Since the car is manufactured in 2008/2009 and might have been used for nearly 10 years,  is it advisable to go for it ? I hear it has good fuel economy though.

And what are the main considerations to look out for? (Hybrid Battery etc...)

Thanks in Advance.

Sandun.

Here is my experience (Anyway you need to check service history, etc as a normal vehicle),

Do a scan from a good service location (With a proper device)

Check voltage of HV battery cells, Report should show nearly same voltage for all cells.

Depending on the mileage you may need to check whether inverter pump is replaced or not (as i can remember brand new one is around 18k - Not from toyota lanka). (milage 80k+)

Other than that there is no any issues. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, carbuddy said:

Here is my experience (Anyway you need to check service history, etc as a normal vehicle),

Do a scan from a good service location (With a proper device)

Check voltage of HV battery cells, Report should show nearly same voltage for all cells.

Depending on the mileage you may need to check whether inverter pump is replaced or not (as i can remember brand new one is around 18k - Not from toyota lanka). (milage 80k+)

Other than that there is no any issues. 

Thanks for the info carbuddy.. :) So do you mean that after about 80k mileage, inverter pump has to be replaced? Bcz I am not well-versed on the subject, is the inverter pump used to charge the car battery? Is there any specific voltage value I should look for in the cells?

16 hours ago, amsandun said:

Thanks for the info carbuddy.. :) So do you mean that after about 80k mileage, inverter pump has to be replaced? Bcz I am not well-versed on the subject, is the inverter pump used to charge the car battery? Is there any specific voltage value I should look for in the cells?

Normally this is coming around 80k mileage. But it could be vary (in most case if ODO meter is not showing the correct mileage :) )  

Inverter Water Pump is used to pump inverter cool-lent needed for the Inverter. As i know there is no any direct relationship with battery. It is just a for cooling purpose. 

Regarding the voltage: it should have nearly the same value, but actual figure will be vary depending on the battery charge level. For example if battery is fully charged it may be 12.45 for all, if battery charge level is low at the time you take the report it could be 10.56 for all. [Note these are as example figures i cant remember what was there in my actual report :) ]. The reason for this is, if any of cell have different voltage (probably a low value, which is a bad cell) then it could result to weak other cells as well (means whole battery will be in bad condition).  So if the report have same value or nearly the same value then it is a good one.