• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is the 2017 Suzuki Swift RS a full hybrid?

u.work

Question

23 answers to this question

Normally a full hybrid can propel the car on electric power alone,without Engine.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/mild-or-full-hybrid-distinctions-defined-36605

But then even the Prius does not qualify as a full-hybrid. The easiest way would be to check the hybrid battery voltage. Mild hybrid battery has a lower value(ex:48V for Euro cars with Brake recuperation & Stop/Start,not sure about Jap),where as Full have above 250V.

Edited by ajm

On 11/12/2017 at 1:57 PM, u.work said:

Is the 2017 Suzuki Swift RS, that is sold in the Sri Lankan market as 'hybrid' actually a full hybrid, or a mild hybrid. 

All the car sales guys claim it is a full hybrid. 

Any way for me to verify this is true? 

Thanks.

It's a mild hybrid. It has idling stop which turns off the engine when you're in traffic and not moving. And when you cruise at a constant speed. But if you step lightly on the gas it does around 12-15 km/pl in city.

On 12/11/2017 at 3:27 PM, u.work said:

Is the 2017 Suzuki Swift RS, that is sold in the Sri Lankan market as 'hybrid' actually a full hybrid, or a mild hybrid. 

All the car sales guys claim it is a full hybrid. 

Any way for me to verify this is true? 

Thanks.

The RS Hybrid is a mild Hybrid....the badges are different. the full Hybrid has a dark blue badge and the mild has a light blue badge...but that can be changed. Go with the model codes....

Full Hybrids = ZC43

Mild Hybrids = ZC53

1.0L gasoline variants = ZC13

1.2L pure gasoline = ZC83

1.4L pure gasoline = ZC33

Like thirtyone mentioned..the full Hybrid has an EV mode...the mild Hybrid does not and simply just assists the engine all the time.

11 minutes ago, iRage said:

The RS Hybrid is a mild Hybrid....the badges are different. the full Hybrid has a dark blue badge and the mild has a light blue badge...but that can be changed. Go with the model codes....

Full Hybrids = ZC43

Mild Hybrids = ZC53

1.0L gasoline variants = ZC13

1.2L pure gasoline = ZC83

1.4L pure gasoline = ZC33

Like thirtyone mentioned..the full Hybrid has an EV mode...the mild Hybrid does not and simply just assists the engine all the time.

Thanks a lot for the reply! 

You have mentioned 1.0L gasoline having variants. Any idea what are the different variants? 

And any idea about the approximate mileage of these versions? I've seen the Rs mild displays showing only 10km/l which seems pretty low to me. 

Edited by u.work

15 hours ago, u.work said:

Thanks a lot for the reply! 

You have mentioned 1.0L gasoline having variants. Any idea what are the different variants? 

And any idea about the approximate mileage of these versions? I've seen the Rs mild displays showing only 10km/l which seems pretty low to me. 

I don't know....what you see on Suzuki's website are the JC08 cycles rates...if you wnat to get a realistic idea take those consumption numbers and take about 70% of it (according to Japanese regulations the real world fuel figures need to be at least 70% of what was advertised). But please remember this will be a consumption figure based on 50% highway and 50% city driving. So if you drive only in the city you obviously will get lower than that.

• Like 1

Hybrid will cost you Rs. 650k more on taxes against the gem of the range RSt which is cheaper only to the full hybrid SL (ZC43S)

RSt has more options like the body kit and peddle shift... and is the cheapest in SL

RSt is Rs. 800K less in SL and as it is a non hybrid most probably will have less depreciation.

I have not seen full hybrids available for sale in SL

3 hours ago, kush said:

Hybrid will cost you Rs. 650k more on taxes against the gem of the range RSt which is cheaper only to the full hybrid SL (ZC43S)

RSt has more options like the body kit and peddle shift... and is the cheapest in SL

RSt is Rs. 800K less in SL and as it is a non hybrid most probably will have less depreciation.

I have not seen full hybrids available for sale in SL

There are reports of severe vibrations in the RSt along with cabin vibration even when going in near idle stop go traffic. 

So called depreciation for hybrids is a myth. I sold my Toyota hybrid for 9 laks more than what I bought it for.

9 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

There are reports of severe vibrations in the RSt along with cabin vibration even when going in near idle stop go traffic. 

So called depreciation for hybrids is a myth. I sold my Toyota hybrid for 9 laks more than what I bought it for.

I test drove both versions (RST and the mild hybrid) here in SL, back to back, and didn't notice any bad vibrations in either version. 

1 hour ago, dilshant80 said:

You would have benefited from the price increases, even i sold my GP5 at Rs. 700k profit. But it is not the case with 5-6 year old Prius or even on Vezels.

I test drove both versions (RST and the mild hybrid) here in SL, back to back, and didn't notice any bad vibrations in either version. 

The full hybrid would hold a better market than the mild hybrid though, since fuel consumption is better due to EV mode driving. Also based on your points I believe hatchback hybrids are more in the price range of the average consumer compared to Hybrid sedans and SUVs, hence the better market value

57 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

The full hybrid would hold a better market than the mild hybrid though, since fuel consumption is better due to EV mode driving. Also based on your points I believe hatchback hybrids are more in the price range of the average consumer compared to Hybrid sedans and SUVs, hence the better market value

As far as I'm aware the full hybrid version is not available in an RS variant (I may be wrong here). Perhaps this is why we don't see it here in SL (the non RS trim is not as pretty) aside from the much higher factory price.

Speaking to the car sales guys, I was told that the mild hybrid is only slightly more fuel efficient (as low as 2 km/L) than the turbo variant. So I'd certainly say go for the full hybrid if you actually worry about fuel efficiency. 

Edited by u.work

As far as I'm aware the full hybrid version is not available in an RS variant (I may be wrong here). Perhaps this is why we don't see it here in SL (the non RS trim is not as pretty) aside from the much higher factory price.
Speaking to the car sales guys, I was told that the mild hybrid is only slightly more fuel efficient (as low as 2 km/L) than the turbo variant. So I'd certainly say go for the full hybrid if you actually worry about fuel efficiency. 

Agreed. the SL (full Hybrid) trim is not as nice looking as the RS. However, you get a lot more safety features as standard equipment than the RS. Fuel figures wise, JC08 has the RS at 27.4KMPL and the SL at 32KMPL so the fuel figures are not that far off between the two.

16 hours ago, dilshant80 said:

Agreed. the SL (full Hybrid) trim is not as nice looking as the RS. However, you get a lot more safety features as standard equipment than the RS. Fuel figures wise, JC08 has the RS at 27.4KMPL and the SL at 32KMPL so the fuel figures are not that far off between the two.

SL has safety features as standard where as in RS/RSt they are optional, they come as safety package.

And SL will be significantly expensive due to higher price and duty, even if you factor the higher kmpl payback period will be much longer to make financial sense.

In my view RSt is pick of the buntch

5 minutes ago, kush said:

SL has safety features as standard where as in RS/RSt they are optional, they come as safety package.

And SL will be significantly expensive due to higher price and duty, even if you factor the higher kmpl payback period will be much longer to make financial sense.

In my view RSt is pick of the buntch

Price is the same when checking the auctions. Reason is because not everyone knows about the SL and therefore those models are actually going for the same price as the RS hybrid. I saw a driving review by @iRage on the RSt where he noted that it is not as sporty as he expected it to be. Also the price difference between the RSt and RS hybrid is around 4 laks so in my view, going for the hybrid would be a better choice.

Edited by dilshant80

2 hours ago, Thushara Rathnayaka said:

How is your experience over using swift for considerable period? Will it be worth to buy a swift 2017 over Toyota car?

You need to be a bit more specific on the Toyota model? Mark X? Crown? Corolla? Belta? 

1 hour ago, RWD said:

personally I'd go for the Swift-Aqua is a smaller car and the Vitz is horrible to drive

Actually it is not that smaller. Dimension wise it is within the same class of car and only differs by a cm or two. The thing is the Swift has a boxier design, so it feels roomier than it is and has more usable space. The Aqua feels small because of the taping roof and all. In fact the Aqua has a longer wheelbase than the Swift.

• Like 1

Swift will be the better car to drive as in better handling. Also in terms of the interior you will feel the Swift is a bit premium with the nice feeling steering wheel and switchgear compared to the Vitz from 2018. Also the matter of a bot more poke from the turbo engine

• Like 1