• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda ES8 Shock Absorbers: Genuine Vs KYB Vs Tokico

san1985

Hello experts,

Need to replace my Honda ES8 2004 rear shocks

Prices I got are as follows:

Honda genuine : Brand new - 15,900

Recon - 10,000

KYB - 8,700

Tokico - 9,900

What would you recommend ?

What will give the best value for money ? 

I have heard KYB is bit stiffer. Honda genuine cost almost double the price of KYB.

If it is worthy to use genuine I would not mind going for it. But dont want to use the genuine just for the sake of it paying double the price.

Hence seeking all u experta advice.

All member advices are welcome.. Thanks in advance 

Well..what exactly is Honda genuine shock absorbers these days ? Yes..it will come in a Honda box/bag with a Honda sticker on it...but 99.999% of the time car manufacturers don't manufacture shock absorber ! They source it from someone else. So find out what exact shock absorber Honda used for the Fit. So you will be able to get the exact same shock without the Honda sticker for a little bit less. 

Personally I would not go for reconditioned dampers unless I have no other option or there is a HHUUUGGGEEE price difference between the brand new and recon.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, iRage said:

Well..what exactly is Honda genuine shock absorbers these days ? Yes..it will come in a Honda box/bag with a Honda sticker on it...but 99.999% of the time car manufacturers don't manufacture shock absorber ! They source it from someone else. So find out what exact shock absorber Honda used for the Fit. So you will be able to get the exact same shock without the Honda sticker for a little bit less. 

Personally I would not go for reconditioned dampers unless I have no other option or there is a HHUUUGGGEEE price difference between the brand new and recon.

@iRageHmm I was searching for that information brother..some say its KYB and some says Tokico..but couldnt find exactly what Honda uses..

I am going to make up my mind to go with KYB..but my only worry is whether it will affect the comfy level considerably compared to original.

More ideas are welcome..!!

1 hour ago, san1985 said:

@iRageHmm I was searching for that information brother..some say its KYB and some says Tokico..but couldnt find exactly what Honda uses..

I am going to make up my mind to go with KYB..but my only worry is whether it will affect the comfy level considerably compared to original.

More ideas are welcome..!!

Find your shock absorber model number, search it online and you'll find pics of it. The company which manufacturer would have it's name near the model number. 

or visit the spare shop where you found the used shocks and check for any names on it. By the way are the used shocks with coil spring?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Find your shock absorber model number, search it online and you'll find pics of it. The company which manufacturer would have it's name near the model number. 

or visit the spare shop where you found the used shocks and check for any names on it. By the way are the used shocks with coil spring?

OK will do so after going home. I am not much of a mech guy..hopefully it will be visible without having to remove the shock from the car..!!

I guess they are excluding the coil springs..anyways will be going to pay a visit there in the afternoon. thank you @Magnum.

16 hours ago, san1985 said:

OK will do so after going home. I am not much of a mech guy..hopefully it will be visible without having to remove the shock from the car..!!

I guess they are excluding the coil springs..anyways will be going to pay a visit there in the afternoon. thank you @Magnum.

I don't think it'll be visible without removing it but do give it a try.

Once I bought used shocks for our Bluebird and it came with coil springs

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2017 at 3:42 AM, Magnum said:

I don't think it'll be visible without removing it but do give it a try.

Once I bought used shocks for our Bluebird and it came with coil springs

I couldt check it yet as the car is in the garage for a paint job these days..

Yeah u a correct.. recon one is coming with the coil sping. thx buddy 

5 hours ago, san1985 said:

I couldt check it yet as the car is in the garage for a paint job these days..

Yeah u a correct.. recon one is coming with the coil sping. thx buddy 

Then it's a reasonable price