• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Displaying copy of revenue licence in windshield

nsiva

Dear friends,

i have a small clarification to make. Once I was warned by a traffic policeman if I don’t have the copy of car Rev. License pasted in my front windshield, he will be issuing a spot fine. 

How is that possible? Can any friends knowing the legal background tell me how it will be an offence since the original was avilable with me inside the car?

is there any provision in Motor traffic act saying a copy of rev. license at the front is more important than the original inside the car..!

What if I have only the copy pasted buy no original with me at the moment..?

thanks 

Edited by nsiva

As far as I know, it is a must to display your vehicle's revenue licence along with the vehicle's ID card on the front windshield. These two documents are first hand proof to show that your vehicle is road legal even when the vehicle is parked and the owner isn't there. 

2 hours ago, nsiva said:

is there any provision in Motor traffic act saying a copy of rev. license at the front is more important than the original inside the car..!

I haven't seen the gazette but afaik and heard it is true....

• 4 months later...
On 12/1/2017 at 10:21 AM, nsiva said:

Dear friends,

i have a small clarification to make. Once I was warned by a traffic policeman if I don’t have the copy of car Rev. License pasted in my front windshield, he will be issuing a spot fine. 

How is that possible? Can any friends knowing the legal background tell me how it will be an offence since the original was avilable with me inside the car?

thanks 

I think you do need to paste it on the windshield, while my wife was driving once a officer stopped the car for not having it in the windshield he didn't fine her but just gave a warning with that being said I have never pasted on my vehicle and was never asked to do so.    

On 12/1/2017 at 10:21 AM, nsiva said:

Dear friends,

thanks 

Friend,it's imperative that you keep all the documents in handy when driving your vehicle. These include

1. Your original revenue licence and small copy pasted on the windshield.

2. Your licence & insurance

3. Emission report ( just in case)

4. Certicate of registration of your vehicle ( a copy will do)

Edited by K.o.N.o.S

• 3 years later...

From the Motor Traffic Act: 

38. The revenue licence issued for any motor vehicle shall

(a) be displayed on the front of the motor vehicle and placed in a conspicuous position on the left or near side of the motor vehicle, so that the front of the licence and the writing thereon shall be clearly visible at all times to a person standing in front of the motor vehicle on the left or near side thereof ; and

(b) be made available for inspection on demand made by a police officer, Grama Seva Niladhari, or examiner, or by any person authorized in writing by the Commissioner or the licensing authority :

Provided, however, that the revenue licence shall be removed from the vehicle and produced when required by a court or the Commissioner for endorsement or retention.