• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

trish_auto

I hope you all must be experiencing  pouring rains.. according to latest satellite images we are directly under a strong atmospheric depression.  Wind speeds reaching nearly 120 kmph . This kind of a weather situation is very rare.  May expect flooding in many places around the Sri Lanka. 

Be careful in driving.

take care.

image.png

• Like 1

Couple of tips:

1. During heavy rain turn on your fog lamps or head lamps even if it's during the day time

And at night be mindful of others as well. Just because the visibility is poor do not drive with high beam on the whole time as it would be difficult for the on-coming traffic to see the road properly.

2. Before you leave home check if your windshield is clean sometimes a layer of oil builds up on the windshield which the wipers cannot wipe off easily. You may have to clean this off with car wash or glass cleaner. 

3. Strong winds can move your vehicle a bit so do keep a proper grip on the steering wheel.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Magnum said:

Couple of tips:

1. During heavy rain turn on your fog lamps or head lamps even if it's during the day time

And at night be mindful of others as well. Just because the visibility is poor do not drive with high beam on the whole time as it would be difficult for the on-coming traffic to see the road properly.

2. Before you leave home check if your windshield is clean sometimes a layer of oil builds up on the windshield which the wipers cannot wipe off easily. You may have to clean this off with car wash or glass cleaner. 

3. Strong winds can move your vehicle a bit so do keep a proper grip on the steering wheel.

Actually, during heavy heavy rains (as in snow), try not to use high beams at all. The high beam just creates a huge bright spot in front of the car as it reflects off the rain and just creates a blind spot for the driver.

1 hour ago, trish_auto said:

Should we really need to take risk in testing the effectiveness of Safety standards in cars ? :unsure:

A Srilankan  (Private+SLTB) bus instead of Fixed & Moving Barriers to be selected for  NHTSA's  Safety Ratings program.

A new standard for the next budget. !!.

15 hours ago, trish_auto said:

According to NCAP testing standards GP5 supposed to be safe..but not applicable to SL ?

Actually do they test these vehicles for highway conditions ?

Not to criticize a particular brand, but need to know whether these cars are as safe as  manufacturers are claiming.  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That is why we elaborate  , in Sri Lanka there is no speed limits for transport buses,

Disciplined countries have imposed maximum  30Km / hour for buses and drivers never accelerate beyond that limits. The fault is on our legislators and Sri Lanka Police.  Which police fine book states that.?. They use word ' අනතුරක් වලක්වා නොගැනීම'. A nonsense  inappropriate word.

So we must postulate a transport bus as barrier for a new SriLankan State  owned Safety Standard rule without any speed , since all leading safety ratings ( NHTSA ,NCAP,+++ ) are under specifications and useless to us, when the incorrect actions of Sri Lankan Police are inappropriate and should be supported, with a new Tax form effective from  next budget for the general public.

For me it is an ugly thought & scene, when a transport bus speeds beyond 30Km/h.

27 minutes ago, Rohnd said:

Well, I never seen speed limits for heavy vehicles including buses as 30 km/h rather 40 km/h.  For light weight vehicles it varies 60-70 km/h. For highways vehicle type is immaterial.  But funniest in all these rules is , single lane routes ( many main roads in type A even) are having all these speed limits together.  Then it is obvious that all drivers should follow the lowest speed limit as long as they are not allowed to overtake safely.  This becomes worse where there is a slow moving heavy vehicle ahead (ex: road stretches in Kadugannawa to Peradeniy) all have to follow that even if it moves 10 km/h.   afik there is no rule for minimum speed limit .   This is one of the reasons  behind the many head on collision accidents in SL ( many cctv evidences are in internet).

In this particular accident, I personally don't know who was wrong.  What if the car was recklessly overtaking and hit on the slow moving bus ? still the colliding speed would have been very high and suppose safety measure had no way to save the passengers.

Edited by trish_auto

42 minutes ago, trish_auto said:

Well, I never seen speed limits for heavy vehicles including buses as 30 km/h rather 40 km/h.  For light weight vehicles it varies 60-70 km/h. For highways vehicle type is immaterial.  But funniest in all these rules is , single lane routes ( many main roads in type A even) are having all these speed limits together.  Then it is obvious that all drivers should follow the lowest speed limit as long as they are not allowed to overtake safely.  This becomes worse where there is a slow moving heavy vehicle ahead (ex: road stretches in Kadugannawa to Peradeniy) all have to follow that even if it moves 10 km/h.   afik there is no rule for minimum speed limit .   This is one of the reasons  behind the many head on collision accidents in SL ( many cctv evidences are in internet).

In this particular accident, I personally don't know who was wrong.  What if the car was recklessly overtaking and hit on the slow moving bus ? still the colliding speed would have been very high and suppose safety measure had no way to save the passengers.

What I here mentioned was approximations and examples.

Yes ,whatever the  speed limits, I have never seen that  drivers in transport buses accelerate more than 30Km/h in disciplined countries.

May be not in this particular case, we have seen many cases that speeds of bus drivers were responsible for many fatal accidents in Sri Lanka.

Merely , our Police has no precautions and concerns about this factor. My massage was , if they are unable , legislators must come forward  and postulate necessary rules even at our cost (Tax and fines) as they entertain at present .