• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda FIT GP1 - Engine Oil Burning

Car Lover

22 hours ago, matroska said:

i used to have a GP1 and these figures are quite ok I used to get something between 12-14. non of the IMA hybrids are super fuel efficient - including insight, and the Civic FD3 - what I have noticed though is the hybrid batteries on those models seem to last longer. 

I believe this depends on the person and the driving style. Long distance I got a reading around 19 - 20 KM/L. City in traffic mine does 16-17 KM/L. I have done 42K reading now. It is just that you have to focus on the ECO meters provided in the car. 

14 minutes ago, tperera said:

I believe this depends on the person and the driving style. Long distance I got a reading around 19 - 20 KM/L. City in traffic mine does 16-17 KM/L. I have done 42K reading now. It is just that you have to focus on the ECO meters provided in the car. 

yeah on outstations it's quite fuel efficient - specially on the expressways.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2019 at 9:42 AM, tperera said:

Have you calculated fuel consumption from one pump to the next? From my experience dashboard indication is slightly optimistic. Mine does 16-18kpl depending on traffic. But I do not drive in high traffic regions. Worst I've done is around 14kpl per tank when I had to travel frequently in traffic during time I got wedding stuff to attend to. 

Guys, 

Do Stafford do the repair if we bring parts from outside?

Can someone help me to find out the part number for irradium spark plugs of Fit-Hybrid

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

60000 km after doing the piston ring cleaning option, my vehicle started giving the problem again. I am in a great trouble as I am not around in SL but the repair needs to be done urgently. In my absence, it will too risky to get it done at a garage.

Thinking of going for the safest option, Contacted StXXXX MoXXXXs and their estimate is roughly around Rs. 250,000.00. To my surprise, they do not give any warranty for the repair except the verbal warranty that the problem will not come again. Guys, how trustworthy SM guys are to hand over the vehicle and get done the repair in my absence? given a warranty is not offered!!!!

By the way, the vehicle has got into limp mode on the way to Colombo, as a temporary fix all spark plugs were changed and oil replaced with 40 (These stupid things can happen when a knowledgeable person is not around :)). The car has already done 153000 km,  will the use of 40 thickness oil further degrade the engine?

Now the vehicle runs okay but quite sluggish on hilly roads (kadugannawa). How risky to use the vehicle for a few weeks till I return back.......

Edited by vitz

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 3:36 AM, hondaclub said:

Like I have mentioned on my original post. Fix the root cause. Cleaning is only a temporary fix. Many have got through this issue by fixing the root cause. PM for the garrage contact. 

Hey Hondaclub,

I contacted the guy!!!! to me what he was saying was pretty strange. I just acted like a layman to get to know the guy. His first suggestion is to swap the engine with an Insight one costing Rs. 95,000. He did say that there is not such a problem with insight and he gonna swap the engine with little modification. But, we all know the truth of insights too.

Then I asked for the piston replacement kit thing, his reply was it would be costly and not worth of the money spent on....

What I realized is this guy going after quick money with easy work!!!!! That's not professionalism!!!!!! Better stay away from him :)

On 11/6/2018 at 12:18 PM, hondaclub said:

Check the oil burning marks in the silencer horse. Also is the level of oil dropping gradually? The signs looks like the piston ring issue given with the chassis number details. Having said that I suggest you do a scan to see if there is a miss in any of the cylinders. I came through the same process and finally replaced the piston and rings. Now on my 6000km and no issues so far. 

Dear Friend,

I recently bought Honda Fit GP1 & have the same issue.can I have your contact number so that I can take advice from you.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2017 at 11:32 PM, Car Lover said:

Hi, 

My friend has a Honda FIT Hybrid Model DAA-GP1.

Few weeks back he got his vehicle check engine lights on and put his vehicle for diagnosis at  local Honda Agents. They said there is an engine oil burning issue and hence they advice him to do engine flush clean-up along with spark plugs & injector cleaning. Then as per their advice he did above. During the repair they changed  engine oil from 0W-20 to 10W-30 stating that its advisable to move to a higher viscosity oil grade in case of oil burning. It costed nearly Rs 20k.

Then again  just few days after his repair,  Check Engine lights came again. Hence  went again to Agents & they said it's a known issue for my model a  hence they need to repair engine by changing Pistons, Piston  Rings & other accessories  etc etc.. which is kind of engine overhaul which may cost on avg Rs160k ++ . Other option is just clean the pistons without replacing.... which may cost 1/2 of the above price. However they havent recommend same as problem can re-appear.  It seems there were similar cases before for same model. 

My friend got shocked as his vehicle has done only 40,000 ++ Kms. Its totally a design fault.

I couldn't believe why Honda can't manufacture an engine which can drive at least 100,000Kms without any issue as  I never experienced same either with Toyota or Nissan. 

However through internet, I found that this is a known issue for Honda Fit & Insight, & hence Honda Japan has issued a recall notice for same. My friends model / Chassis No also falls within the recalled chassis range. Refer below link. ( Open link with Chrome browser and Translate to English via Google translator or refer attached 3 images  ) http://www.honda.co.jp/recall/auto/other/170120.html   

Seems initial Piston design allows sludge formation on the edge of the piston oil ring, hence it may result in poor sealing of the oil ring. Due to above it may cause engine oil to leak into engine combustion chamber which causes cylinder misfire hencec trigger Check Engine Lights. Sometimes even short circuit spark plugs. 

In the recall notice Honda has clearly mentioned below. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis No range - Honda Fit : 

GP1-1200002 to GP1-1242186

May 10, Heisei 24 - August 2, Heisei 20

[Request to customers]

1) We are very sorry for everyone you love us, but if the above events occur, please contact the nearest Honda dealer in advance to inform us of your visit date and we will accept your inspection.

2) If parts replacement repair is necessary, we will do it free of charge ( FoC). 

3) If you have any questions, please contact the nearest Honda dealer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this is known recall, when i ask from agents , they informed me that they haven't officially informed to do this free of charge from Honda yet.  

Q1 : Has anyone experienced similar issue with Honda FIT GP1 ( or Insight ) ?  How you have resolved it ? Have you guys replaced pistons + piston rings or only cleaned and re-fixed ? 

Q2 : I'm planning to write to Honda Japan and check validity of above recall option in SL. Does anyone has contact email of Honda Japan ?   I couldn't locate it from their Japanese web site. Has any one tried this option before and any positive response /luck with it ? 

Thanks. 

Recall2.png

GP1-1200002 to GP1-1242186

May 10, 2012-August 2, 2013

Found a GP1-122XXXX Fit manufactured in 2014. :( 

I just came across with a FIT DAA - GP1   - which is actually falling within the affected range specified above GP1 - 12XXXX GP1 1242XXX but still manufactured in 2014 . just wondering how this kinda scenario could happen 

any expert advice pls ??

11 hours ago, chathuranga.s said:

RMV updates the first registration date in Japan. In this case it could be 2013 manufactured car sold in 2014. 

Thanks. valuable information  in deed. :)

Edited by gobi

• 11 months later...
On 6/11/2019 at 3:36 AM, hondaclub said:

Like I have mentioned on my original post. Fix the root cause. Cleaning is only a temporary fix. Many have got through this issue by fixing the root cause. PM for the garrage contact. 

Hey I purchased a gp 1 a year ago it had 25k km on it back than its now at 60k km. Recently I started experiencing the same problems mentioned by almost everyone in the thread. Could you share a link where I can go to purchase the original repair kit. Thank you. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello friends, I am from Mauritius. Got the exact problem with oil burning engine and clicking sound in engine. I would request for your advice:

Which one is better ?

Buy a new " second hand engine " and change same or

Buy a good oem piston and rings and redo the cylinder to fit the new piston and rings ?

I dont want to buy a second hand engine because the problem is with most of the LDA MF engine for the 2012-2013 Honda fit engine and i may encounter the same problem again.

But a mechanic has told me that there is no guarantee that fitting a new piston and rings and gasket will work.

so your advice are kindly sought.

thanks

ashvin

10 hours ago, ashvin said:

Hello friends, I am from Mauritius. Got the exact problem with oil burning engine and clicking sound in engine. I would request for your advice:

Which one is better ?

Buy a new " second hand engine " and change same or

Buy a good oem piston and rings and redo the cylinder to fit the new piston and rings ?

I dont want to buy a second hand engine because the problem is with most of the LDA MF engine for the 2012-2013 Honda fit engine and i may encounter the same problem again.

But a mechanic has told me that there is no guarantee that fitting a new piston and rings and gasket will work.

so your advice are kindly sought.

thanks

ashvin

Get a new set of pistons and ring sets, it fixes the issue. Issue is with the piston ring grove design. Once you replace the pistons and rings with the new design it works. I did just that and issue never came up again until I sold the car. 

Buying an unknown engine is too risky and not worth. 

anyplace where i can buy new piston and rings please. I am from mauritius and we dont have the parts here. Covid is making it difficult to order. so any reliable place who sells genuine honda parts. contact number or website will be much appreciated.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Anton Rajo said:

I am planning to buy a GP1 2012. but that particular vehicle chassis number not fallen in that category. Is still advisable to proceed? Can anyone please help?

Well...if you chassis number is not within the range of chassis numbers which the recall is being made for, it means your car does not need the recall because it came out of the factory with the "fix" or was made before the faulty part was introduced. So...your car is unlkely to have the recall issue, i.e. your car is not effected by the faulty part/design.

That does not mean that your car is completely free of any oil burning faults....as the previous owner might have not taken care of the car properly or the engine might have wear and tear that causes oil burn.

So get the car inspected by a professional.

• 5 months later...
On 5/5/2019 at 2:05 AM, K.P. said:

Hello all,

My Honda fit gp1 (now 69000km) got tappet like noise and when I reverse and suddenly put the gear to drive, it shows me a misfire or something like it. Engine looks like jerking when I accelerate. But it went normal with in 4, 5 seconds.

Meanwhile engine oil level got drastically down and I have to top up it like twice a week. I'm a daly around 30 - 35 km traveler and twice car got jerk like a 'fish out of water' and engine do not let me to run anymore. When I check the engine oil level it shows me the minimum level so both days I filled it and jerk went out. 

But last week things went worst. I started the car but it wasn't let me to drive it even 10, 30 meters as car is jerking continuesly. Nothing to do and we decide to replace pistons and rings as it is a permanent solution for this matter. We went to a prestigious place near keththarama ground. (I don't know is it allow here to say the name. Anyway if anyone wants to know the name please let me know.) They said that it is common design fault and now they have permanent solution for it as we knew it before. They offered a package of 250,000/- rupees including engine overhaul, replacing all pistons and rings, replacing all 8 plugs, engine tune up and done each and all things which should done as necessarily. Yesterday I got the car back however they ask me to bring back after 500kms. Will update here what happen after it. Now car is smoothly running. I don't is it is because new broom sweeps well ? 

Moreover, I have noticed that the day finally my car got jerk, there is a thick layer of carbon in the tailpipe which I haven't previously noticed. Tailpipe is full off water drops not carbon before this matter cames in to the car. 

You are feel free to contact me. Of you want to get any idea about procedure. Also I have heardthat there are places which this thing can get done cheaply. But I need to make sure that they use genuine parts and do they have right knowledge to right thing. I'm happy with the service but price is cargills. 

Cheers!!!

Hello all, 

Its been 2 years since I got solved the problem, 78,900Kms on the clock and still car runs smoothly. Seems like changing pistons with rings is a permanent or last long solution for oil burning issue. 

Will update here if I face anything else in the future.

Cheers!!!

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/3/2017 at 2:27 PM, vitz said:

Thanks. Already mailed. Thanks google translator for japanese translation

What is the reply you received from Honda Japan?  I had same issue after 60,000 km and wrote Honda Japan. They informed this to Stafford and Stafford contacted me. According to Stafford they were not in a position to do the repair FOC as I didn't import this via Stafford. They charged me around Rs.65,000 to clean the Pistons and rings. I am facing the same issue now after 127,000 km. Now the repair cost is around Rs.250,000 in Stafford (Replacement of Piton kit).  

https://www.honda.co.jp/recall/auto/other/170120.html

As there is a recall order from Honda Stafford must do it FOC.