• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda FIT GP1 - Engine Oil Burning

Car Lover

5 hours ago, Nims said:

My car also was in limp mode due to engine misfire caused by same oil burning reason. Went with the 2nd option from agents since newer parts not available. Cost me 80k with the service. They change to 15w-40 oil ( doesn’t understand the logic ) . Still too early to comment on repair as only done 700km after it.

I didn’t go for the reconditioned engine replacement because I’m fed up with my luck.  But apparently it’s a very common thing done by the local mechanics.

I thought Micro is the only company which is incapable of supplying spare parts on time!!!!! Seems it is common to all agents in Sri Lanka trying to fetch some money by selling vehicles and not much concern about after sales service!!!

Edited by vitz

1 hour ago, vitz said:

I thought Micro is the only company which is incapable of supplying spare parts on time!!!!! Seems it is common to all agents in Sri Lanka trying to fetch some money by selling vehicles and not much concern about after sales service!!!

Irresponsible buggers through out the country ......

Not only car sellers, almost all sellers are same except very very few numbers who cares after sale service.

8 hours ago, gayanath said:

Irresponsible buggers through out the country ......

Not only car sellers, almost all sellers are same except very very few numbers who cares after sale service.

Perhaps cars are no longer considered "consumer durables"  (:D)

On 1/2/2018 at 6:24 AM, vitz said:

Well TBH i had heard a lot of good about St****** in the past. but  i see their level of service and expertise to be a notch below U**mo where I used to take the perodua. Many people I know who use modern Hondas go to the So-called Hub in maligawatta despite the exorbitant prices. 

• 3 weeks later...

Aaaand I got the same reply from Honda Japan (See email below). If their car has a problem in Japan, in the market it was DESIGNED for, no wonder it will have the same problem as a grey import in a market it was not intended to.

Thank you very much for your e-mail, and we're sorry for the late reply.
While we appreciate your patronage on your car, we would like to inform you that we produce our vehicles for specific markets. Even though some parts may be used jointly by different specification models underlying construction, emission system, etc. may be very different. Because each country establishes its own certification testing standards, cars of a particular specification are tested only for those markets.

And if any vehicle of different specification is used, problems with parts availably, differences in construction, etc. can result in much aggravation and unnecessary delays for the customer.

From the above reason, we don't recommend car import because we are not able to provide with our best assist for customers and product warranty will be invalied for parallel import vehicles and therefore, extension of the warranty period will not be applied too.

Thank you very much again for you're interesting with our products. We wish you can find the one with the performance you seek at your local dealer.

Sincerely yours,

Honda Motor Co., Ltd.

On 11/28/2017 at 3:05 AM, ajm said:

apart from Toyota,other Japanese manufacturers recently have been going downhill on the quality of design side. Maybe because of higher costs to develop complex systems and lack of finances force them to streamline the costs of validation processes during development of core parts which they take for granted. Due to fast changes in technology,it is getting harder for smaller car companies to survive on their own,and many go for joint development to share costs. Honda is one of the few that still does development on its own. Another reason could be that young Japanese are moving away from cars,and embracing technology instead. So its possible that engineers on the design team have not much car experience and only theoretical/simulation experience. No matter how advanced the tools are,it's experience and knowhow which enables to setup a simulation correctly and move to a real design,then validate is using real but not too harsh or too easy parameters.

is it an original or grey import? In case of latter,I doubt if writing could get them to admit the fault and give an apology because there is the loophole that the car was used in a market it was not released for. It depends on their sincerity,but it might work. There is this story that Honda sent down a battery pack free of shipping cost,but it happened to a friend of a friend of a friend as always. In case of original, being more assertive could help. It would be better to complain directly to customer service number,but you need someone fluent in Japanese for that.

This is called planned obsolescence machan. All most all the major car manufacturers follow it now. They don't design durable cars as they did before 2000s. Modern cars will start to show age only within the first 5 years. The venerable models like Lancer boxer and AE80s are no more built. :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sam B said:

Aaaand I got the same reply from Honda Japan (See email below). If their car has a problem in Japan, in the market it was DESIGNED for, no wonder it will have the same problem as a grey import in a market it was not intended to.

Thank you very much for your e-mail, and we're sorry for the late reply.
While we appreciate your patronage on your car, we would like to inform you that we produce our vehicles for specific markets. Even though some parts may be used jointly by different specification models underlying construction, emission system, etc. may be very different. Because each country establishes its own certification testing standards, cars of a particular specification are tested only for those markets.

And if any vehicle of different specification is used, problems with parts availably, differences in construction, etc. can result in much aggravation and unnecessary delays for the customer.

From the above reason, we don't recommend car import because we are not able to provide with our best assist for customers and product warranty will be invalied for parallel import vehicles and therefore, extension of the warranty period will not be applied too.

Thank you very much again for you're interesting with our products. We wish you can find the one with the performance you seek at your local dealer.

Sincerely yours,

Honda Motor Co., Ltd.

This is a natural reply. They can't be responsible for the vehicle imports because they have no authority to police over them. Apparently the best thing to do is to ditch the Stafford altogether and find some well reputed local mechanic who can do the job and repair the engine. 

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, 

I am planning to buy a gp1 & heard much about this oil burning issue...

@Car Lover Only these vehicles mentioned in that recalled article are affected or there coulde be more?? (Then of course I am trying to avoid these chassis nums; um not sure whether it will work for me) Heissei 24 is 2012 & Heissei 20 is 2008 then hw can this issue comes up with 2013 vehicles as well??

What if I do a scan with stafford prior to buy the car?? Is this issue pre diagnosable with that scan?? 

As gp1 users r u recommending the vehicle?? Not only with this issue but considering overall??

please guide me...

On 12/3/2017 at 12:03 AM, vitz said:

Thanks for the post. Though this was discussed early, your post prompted the real reason. 

Just to mention my case: The problem popped up after 80000 km. After cleaning rings, now I have driven 35000km more, no problem yet.

@vitz is there any specific mileage or tenor that this issue may comes up with?? Any way to pre identify or avoid??

3 hours ago, HashCK said:

Hi guys, 

I am planning to buy a gp1 & heard much about this oil burning issue...

@Car Lover Only these vehicles mentioned in that recalled article are affected or there coulde be more?? (Then of course I am trying to avoid these chassis nums; um not sure whether it will work for me) Heissei 24 is 2012 & Heissei 20 is 2008 then hw can this issue comes up with 2013 vehicles as well??

What if I do a scan with stafford prior to buy the car?? Is this issue pre diagnosable with that scan?? 

As gp1 users r u recommending the vehicle?? Not only with this issue but considering overall??

please guide me...

GP1 is a rugged, time tested and reliable vehicle except the designing problem.

3 hours ago, HashCK said:

@vitz is there any specific mileage or tenor that this issue may comes up with?? Any way to pre identify or avoid??

No, there is no specific mileage. Based on the experiences of some of us, problematic vehicle would  make a tappet noise like sound at very low speed.

Its a design fault. No specific mileage tagged, it may appear anytime when oil pops up into combustion chamber. Once the vehicle is correctly repaired with genuine oil rings & pistons its a permanent fix < refer my previous post>. Nothing wrong with other mechanics / electronics attached to the vehicle. 

BTW this problem you can't scan and diagnose under normal condition, unless if engine misfiring is detected < if so check engine light may anyway light up>. However you can do a visual test by carefully observing exhaust while engine is running at higher RPM. If observable smoke with some carbon deposits poping out, then it may be a problematic vehicle with early warning signs of oil burning. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am another victim of this issue, these were the symptoms;

• Oil level started to drop
  • A/c gradually reduced during running
  • tappet nice when slowing down to 20kmp/h
  • high vibration during cold startup
  • oil spill around spark plug rings.
  • engine warning
  • scanner show misfire on the first cylinder

I went through extensive research and spoke to stafford and as usual no help since i did not buy the car from the company. but they actually know the issue and the initial suggestion was to do the piston ring clean up (cost is around 60k) and they are still not sure if thats the right option as the supervisor says it works for some car and doesn't work for some and for those they recommend to change the rings and piston (cost is around 180k) since the new rings wont fit the existing piston. went back to my usual garage (he has been maintaining all my cars for the last 10 years) and he is aware of the issue and some cars they have done the injector clean up and gone as it was enough for them. I decided to do the big repair by changing the piston and rings as i never wanted to take a chance by cleaning up. Got 4 pistons and the ring sets from Tech Motors (who bring down honda genuine parts but you should go with someone who knows to validate just to make sure you are not given A grade Thailand manufactures). the entire kit including gasket cost me 81k with a discount since my garage guy knows them well. its a three day process (quite complicated than we think since you have to remove) as you need to remove the head uni and do the clean up and then fix the piston rings to the new piston and attach to the existing rod. My mechanic suggested to do the machine push for connecting the rod to piston as it is will give the perfect finishing, you have to take the old piston and the new one (without rings) to D*MO lanka at bluemendal road and they will use the machine and press the new piston to the existing rode which was a perfect job and the cost for that is Rs. 2400. So after three days i got the car back with new piston installed and suggested to use 0w20 oil since the piston is still new and it should have more silkness. The mechanic charged me 40k for the entire work including oil and the total cost was (81+2400+37=120400). engine is very smooth now and a/c is much better and i could feel no vibration when reaching beyond 2000 RPM. I will keep updating and if you guys have plans to fix the issue i would suggest to do it once without taking chances as Stafford is not always sure about their recommendations. below is the picture of existing piston.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

• Thanks 1

good it worked. BTW did you use the "improved" design Rings and follow correct fitting procedure from Honda GP1 owners manual which was mentioned somewhere here(so that the problem don't come back again,since its a design flaw)?

• Thanks 1

Yeah i used the improved design one because the old ones are no longer available to buy. and you cannot fix the new rings to the old piston since the design flaw so you literally have to get all 4 pistons and rings with the new design. and you have to use the right tools to fix the ring to the piston and install the piston into the cylinders, this guy is not a maka bass so he has all the tools and does it perfectly. if it was someone else i am sure he would have used a mitiya and taken the piston pin out and installed the new piston to the rod but he wanted it to be perfectly fitted and wanted me to personally go to D*MO engineering and get it done. I have gone around 500km so far and will keep the forum updated. i feel the smooth acceleration since they are new piston and also he suggested to change the oil to 10 w30 after 20k.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2018 at 11:54 PM, hondaclub said:

Yeah i used the improved design one because the old ones are no longer available to buy. and you cannot fix the new rings to the old piston since the design flaw so you literally have to get all 4 pistons and rings with the new design. and you have to use the right tools to fix the ring to the piston and install the piston into the cylinders, this guy is not a maka bass so he has all the tools and does it perfectly. if it was someone else i am sure he would have used a mitiya and taken the piston pin out and installed the new piston to the rod but he wanted it to be perfectly fitted and wanted me to personally go to D*MO engineering and get it done. I have gone around 500km so far and will keep the forum updated. i feel the smooth acceleration since they are new piston and also he suggested to change the oil to 10 w30 after 20k.

From where did you get this job done?

On 12/17/2017 at 8:04 PM, vitz said:

Exactly, this is a symptom of this problem "tappet like noise". You won't be able to visually notice black smoke, perhaps, very minor deposit of carbon on the tip of the silencer. 

By the way, my one doing okay after the second option, though got it done in kandy. I am really taking precautions when doing oil change, especially I let old oil drain for overnight as the service is done by my self. Trust me, quite lot of old oil drains during 12 hrs drain period and all 4 liters of new oil used.

It seems Stafford repair is quite questionable. I am wondering, doesn't Stafford give a warranty for their repair!!!!

From where did you get this job done in Kandy?

On 3/5/2018 at 10:41 PM, Car Lover said:

Its a design fault. No specific mileage tagged, it may appear anytime when oil pops up into combustion chamber. Once the vehicle is correctly repaired with genuine oil rings & pistons its a permanent fix < refer my previous post>. Nothing wrong with other mechanics / electronics attached to the vehicle. 

BTW this problem you can't scan and diagnose under normal condition, unless if engine misfiring is detected < if so check engine light may anyway light up>. However you can do a visual test by carefully observing exhaust while engine is running at higher RPM. If observable smoke with some carbon deposits poping out, then it may be a problematic vehicle with early warning signs of oil burning. 

One of my friend also planning to buy GP1. This Means All Honda GP1 cars in Sri Lanka has this probelm? or only recalled chassis? But it will be possible as all GP1's has same product line engines and also it was a designing problem?

Please Consult me   

On 6/7/2018 at 9:04 AM, Randeewa said:

One of my friend also planning to buy GP1. This Means All Honda GP1 cars in Sri Lanka has this probelm? or only recalled chassis? But it will be possible as all GP1's has same product line engines and also it was a designing problem?

Please Consult me   

No. If you read the notice on the recall by Honda Japan they have said that the issue MAY occur. It all depends on the individual specimen. For example I know a particular  fit that is in the recall chasis range that has done 130,000km without a hitch. 2 of my friends and I have cars in the recall range but none have given trouble to this point having done 60000,70000 and 55000 so it all depends on the car you buy. Your friend can use it as a bargaining point. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, matroska said:

No. If you read the notice on the recall by Honda Japan they have said that the issue MAY occur. It all depends on the individual specimen. For example I know a particular  fit that is in the recall chasis range that has done 130,000km without a hitch. 2 of my friends and I have cars in the recall range but none have given trouble to this point having done 60000,70000 and 55000 so it all depends on the car you buy. Your friend can use it as a bargaining point. 

Thank you very much for your explain. That mean some cars will give problem and some aren't. I have read lots of reviews regarding Honda Fit GP1/Honda Jazz on the web. most of them says Honda Fit  is a very relabel car. They didn't even mention this error may be due to this only occur on JDM cars.

You are correct most of Sri Lankan hybrid service persons aware of this problem and they all says it has oil burning issue. It will cause price reduce of this model. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 9:02 PM, Car Lover said:

Hi, 

My friend has a Honda FIT Hybrid Model DAA-GP1.

Few weeks back he got his vehicle check engine lights on and put his vehicle for diagnosis at  local Honda Agents. They said there is an engine oil burning issue and hence they advice him to do engine flush clean-up along with spark plugs & injector cleaning. Then as per their advice he did above. During the repair they changed  engine oil from 0W-20 to 10W-30 stating that its advisable to move to a higher viscosity oil grade in case of oil burning. It costed nearly Rs 20k.

Then again  just few days after his repair,  Check Engine lights came again. Hence  went again to Agents & they said it's a known issue for my model a  hence they need to repair engine by changing Pistons, Piston  Rings & other accessories  etc etc.. which is kind of engine overhaul which may cost on avg Rs160k ++ . Other option is just clean the pistons without replacing.... which may cost 1/2 of the above price. However they havent recommend same as problem can re-appear.  It seems there were similar cases before for same model. 

My friend got shocked as his vehicle has done only 40,000 ++ Kms. Its totally a design fault.

I couldn't believe why Honda can't manufacture an engine which can drive at least 100,000Kms without any issue as  I never experienced same either with Toyota or Nissan. 

However through internet, I found that this is a known issue for Honda Fit & Insight, & hence Honda Japan has issued a recall notice for same. My friends model / Chassis No also falls within the recalled chassis range. Refer below link. ( Open link with Chrome browser and Translate to English via Google translator or refer attached 3 images  ) http://www.honda.co.jp/recall/auto/other/170120.html   

Seems initial Piston design allows sludge formation on the edge of the piston oil ring, hence it may result in poor sealing of the oil ring. Due to above it may cause engine oil to leak into engine combustion chamber which causes cylinder misfire hencec trigger Check Engine Lights. Sometimes even short circuit spark plugs. 

In the recall notice Honda has clearly mentioned below. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis No range - Honda Fit : 

GP1-1200002 to GP1-1242186

May 10, Heisei 24 - August 2, Heisei 20

[Request to customers]

1) We are very sorry for everyone you love us, but if the above events occur, please contact the nearest Honda dealer in advance to inform us of your visit date and we will accept your inspection.

2) If parts replacement repair is necessary, we will do it free of charge ( FoC). 

3) If you have any questions, please contact the nearest Honda dealer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this is known recall, when i ask from agents , they informed me that they haven't officially informed to do this free of charge from Honda yet.  

Q1 : Has anyone experienced similar issue with Honda FIT GP1 ( or Insight ) ?  How you have resolved it ? Have you guys replaced pistons + piston rings or only cleaned and re-fixed ? 

Q2 : I'm planning to write to Honda Japan and check validity of above recall option in SL. Does anyone has contact email of Honda Japan ?   I couldn't locate it from their Japanese web site. Has any one tried this option before and any positive response /luck with it ? 

Thanks. 

Recall2.png

Recall3.png

Recall1.png

I have same issue with my GP2 but it is not in the list. Have you get any solution? please let me know