• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Question

Dear members,

Given the recent changes in the budget, I have narrowed my search down to the below vehicles and would like your input as well. My main concerns are comfort, decent ground clearance and maintenance cost. The Toyota Rav4 was also considered, but I would have to buy a 7+ year used vehicle which I am not keen on doing.

My top picks

1. Audi Q2 1.0 Litre Turbo

2. Nissan Note E-Power 1.2 Litre

3. Honda Civic Hatchback 1.0 Litre turbo

4. Audi A3 1.0 Litre Turbo

5. Volkswagen Golf 1.2 TSI (Update: 28-11-2017)

My low picks

1. Toyota CH-R 1.2 Litre Turbo

2. Suzuki Ignis 1.2 Litre Hybrid

3. Suzuki Baleno 1.0 Litre Turbo

Thank you all :)

a31-0606.jpg

Baleno_F34_GLX1.png

ignis_sz-t_pwp_rf_32_cropped-copy.png

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Nissan_Note_E-Power-1-630x420.jpg

2017-Honda-Civic-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

img.png

Edited by dilshant80
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, u.work said:

In terms of resale value, how much more value will something like the Vitz hold as opposed to the Swift RS?

For a 0.6 million price gap, would it be better to go for the hybrid option in terms of resale value, 2 years down the line?

This is one of those questions only a fortune teller can say for certain....each type of car has its' own issues which will effect market conditions (eg. Used Hybrids seem to get low valued because of battery issues, etc...and who knows..maybe these turbo engines will get a bad rep for turbo unit issues).

You are discounting the Swift a bit unfairly though. For many years the last model Swift (at least the JDM variant) has been well sought after and has held a pretty good value. So no doubt the new one would also do the same, unless there are design issues with the new technologies. 

On 12/8/2017 at 7:12 AM, dilshant80 said:

Well think about it like you are going to marry a virgin devoid of any STDs vs a very "experienced" girl with a known or unknown history of possible STDs ;) Who would you choose?

what if the virgin has vaginismus.... as for STD's you can get it checked .... :blink:

18 hours ago, iRage said:

I believe you missed the point. The point that was supposed to come across was that the torque figure generated by cars like the CHR (and even the HP values) are "not that high" and is pretty much the same as a Corolla or Sunny from quite sometime ago as well. So although it is a turbo charged engine it is not turbo charged to be ass kickingly quick like a Subaru Forrester XT or an Evo/WRX/etc... 

yes good point. Makes me ponder though as to the reasoning of dishing out so much dough for a car not as fast as an old corolla

On 12/13/2017 at 1:22 PM, dilshant80 said:

yes good point. Makes me ponder though as to the reasoning of dishing out so much dough for a car not as fast as an old corolla

But on the other hand you do get a lot more car than an old Corolla....consider the features and accessories, etc...also...try calculating the present value of the money you would have spent 10 years ago buying an old Corolla....if you are really bored and pondering about it :D

Looking to buy a Swift RS Hybrid (2017) but the price range between importers is very drastic.

There are importers claiming to be able to get it down for 4.6 million, while others are sticking to 5 million saying the cheaper guys are a scam.

Does anyone know what the actual price of this vehicle is, post Nov 2017 tax? The local car sales values range from 5.1 to 5.4 million. 

Mind you, this is all for the same, fully featured (with safety package) car.

Edited by u.work

On 12/12/2017 at 3:31 PM, Quiet said:

Hey guyz. I checked out the Peugeot 3008 last weekend. For Rs.10Mn you can get down the 1.2L full option vehicle. But the feed back i got about the reliability of the brand in Sri Lanka is not good. any opinions is much appreciated. 

In- terms of Space, interior and exterior design, Level of options 3008 seems the best vs what we have for that price in the market. if it is between the budget range of 3.5 Mn to 4 Mn Baleno seems to be a better deal.

On 11/26/2017 at 6:06 AM, dilshant80 said:

My top picks

3. Honda Civic Hatchback 1.0 Litre turbo

My low picks

1. Toyota CH-R 1.2 Litre Turbo

In terms of my personal preference for reliability I would choose these 2 from your list. But still not a fan of small turbo engines when I look for reliability.

Can't think of a better vehicle than a Corolla with a natural aspirated engine coupled to a standard transmission or a non-cvt transmission.  

10 hours ago, Nirosha said:

Why no one talk about Ford Ecosport or Ford Fiesta, Mazda 2, Mazda 3 hatchbacks?

When I listen to some of the mechanic talks on Youtube on Mazda and Ford does not seem to have reliability compared to Toyota & Honda. (I Don't know, Just telling what I heard on YouTube. Eg - Consumer Reports, Scotty Kilmer, etc). Want I understood was when the engine have a high compression with Skyactive or Turbo the engines seems to wearout faster.BTW, I'm not a mechanic so I don't know how true what those Youtube videos are. Just for my safe side I just go with Toyota and Honda.

I may be wrong, but I do use ConsumerReports reviews for some of my other purcheses as well. Even small items like a Rice Cooker. Don't have much money to waste, so try to buy a reliable item and save money.. :D

• Like 1

so I ultimately went with a vehicle not on my list [emoji5]️ Bringing down a Suzuki Swift full hybrid (rated at doing 32KMPL) which has a naturally aspirated 1.2L 4 cylinder engine, 1.5Kwh hybrid battery having an AGS transmission with hill hold control

Edited by dilshant80
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, kmeeg said:

When I listen to some of the mechanic talks on Youtube on Mazda and Ford does not seem to have reliability compared to Toyota & Honda. (I Don't know, Just telling what I heard on YouTube. Eg - Consumer Reports, Scotty Kilmer, etc). Want I understood was when the engine have a high compression with Skyactive or Turbo the engines seems to wearout faster.BTW, I'm not a mechanic so I don't know how true what those Youtube videos are. Just for my safe side I just go with Toyota and Honda.

I may be wrong, but I do use ConsumerReports reviews for some of my other purcheses as well. Even small items like a Rice Cooker. Don't have much money to waste, so try to buy a reliable item and save money.. :D

Well..for starters even the Honda and Toyotas now come with small engine capacity turbo charged engines that are in fact high compression engines. These engines too are only a few years old and no one knows what their longevity is like. Mazda on the other hand...the skyactive engines have been around for quite some time and seen quite a few that have racked up quite a lot of miles. So yes..they (Mazda skyactiv engines) have the same concerns one might have with high compression engines; they have proven themselves to be as good as; and in certain aspects like the overall build quality of the car, to exceed this "apparent" quality of Toyotas and Hondas.

Mazdas have been putting out amazing cars for the last half a decade or so and is giving Toyota (which is only survivng on its namesake) a run for its money. All those comments about Mazda high compressions might having issues is just paranoia of people stuck in the golden days of Toyota. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Attitudes like this basically sum up why two decade old Toyotas with half a million on the clock still sell to ignorant fools for millions in Sri Lanka. Mazda is a Japanese company with a very good reliability reputation over years of service, the only issues they have had consistently in the US are related to rust in the snowy states where salt is used on the roads - which is a non issue here in SL. Consumer Reports generally rates them quite highly as well, so I don't quite know where your data is coming from (Not 100% sure I don't have access to full CR data, so please do correct me if I'm wrong.)

Also Scotty Kilmer is a loudmouthed hack who is more about the drama than actual substance, so maybe don't use him as an authoritative source. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dilshant80 said:

so I ultimately went with a vehicle not on my list emoji5.png️ Bringing down a Suzuki Swift full hybrid (rated at doing 32KMPL) which has a naturally aspirated 1.2L 4 cylinder engine, 1.5Kwh hybrid battery having an AGS transmission with hill hold control

Wow, so much discussion and you end up with something not even considered in the first place. Talk about Yanne Koheda Malle Pol. 

Anyway, glad you've finally made up your mind. Best of luck with the new car. I hope you do realize that it is absolutely NOT going to do 32 KMPL in Sri Lankan conditions btw. 

Just now, Supra_Natural said:

Wow, so much discussion and you end up with something not even considered in the first place. Talk about Yanne Koheda Malle Pol. 

Anyway, glad you've finally made up your mind. Best of luck with the new car. I hope you do realize that it is absolutely NOT going to do 32 KMPL in Sri Lankan conditions btw. 

@Supra_Natural Thanks for the wishes. Its not koheda yanne malle pol. Its more like I didnt have time to update this post with my other options so thats why you were not aware of them.  JC08 specs are taken with a pinch of salt :) Of course I know it wont do 32KMPL. My Aqua was rated at 35KMPL and realistically did 25KMPL, so I am expecting similar figures.

2 hours ago, dilshant80 said:

@Supra_Natural Thanks for the wishes. Its not koheda yanne malle pol. Its more like I didnt have time to update this post with my other options so thats why you were not aware of them.  JC08 specs are taken with a pinch of salt :) Of course I know it wont do 32KMPL. My Aqua was rated at 35KMPL and realistically did 25KMPL, so I am expecting similar figures.

First time I've heard of an Aqua doing 25 KM/l, was this when you were pushing it downhill? 

Joking aside, under what conditions were those figures obtained? Because I know several Aqua users and I've even used one myself for a few days and the average they have done is at best 17-18 KM/L in the city, certainly not 25.

Just now, Supra_Natural said:

First time I've heard of an Aqua doing 25 KM/l, was this when you were pushing it downhill? 

Joking aside, under what conditions were those figures obtained? Because I know several Aqua users and I've even used one myself for a few days and the average they have done is at best 17-18 KM/L in the city, certainly not 25.

Pushing it downhill was actually 99.9KMPL since the engine was never engaged :) Short trips (less than 5KM) gave me an average of 20KMPL whereas trips greater than 10KM i got 25KMPL. In city and outstation both

23 hours ago, kmeeg said:

I'm not sure that. But I think it is due to the higher ownership expenses compared to Toyota or Honda.

Also both the Ford and the Mazda are offer better warranty compared to Toyota and Honda.

Edited by Nirosha

7 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

Attitudes like this basically sum up why two decade old Toyotas with half a million on the clock still sell to ignorant fools for millions in Sri Lanka. Mazda is a Japanese company with a very good reliability reputation over years of service, the only issues they have had consistently in the US are related to rust in the snowy states where salt is used on the roads - which is a non issue here in SL. Consumer Reports generally rates them quite highly as well, so I don't quite know where your data is coming from (Not 100% sure I don't have access to full CR data, so please do correct me if I'm wrong.)

Also Scotty Kilmer is a loudmouthed hack who is more about the drama than actual substance, so maybe don't use him as an authoritative source. 

@Supra_Natural Once I requested an importer about the Mazda 3 hatchback, he told that Mazda vehicles facing lot of sensor issues due to climate of the Sri Lanka. Is it true? Do you ever had such a problem with your Mazda?

Edited by Nirosha

8 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

Consumer Reports generally rates them quite highly as well, so I don't quite know where your data is coming from (Not 100% sure I don't have access to full CR data, so please do correct me if I'm wrong.)

Attached is what I see on Consumer Reports and JD power ratings. I believe this is true only for US market vehicles. So I guess it's not much relevant for the cars we buy in SL. Again I'm not expert on this, just putting out what I saw..

Consumer Reports.PNG

JDPower VDS.PNG

11 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

Hehh.. For me its hard to listen when ever he says "Show it to a mechanic like 'me' who has a dealer level scan tool..." :lol:

BTW, please share if you have similar YouTube channels.

8 hours ago, Nirosha said:

@Supra_Natural Once I requested an importer about the Mazda 3 hatchback, he told that Mazda vehicles facing lot of sensor issues due to climate of the Sri Lanka. Is it true? Do you ever had such a problem with your Mazda?

and these are the same kind of car dealers who first said the Axela hybrid system is bad...until they realized its the same thing as Toyotas. You really can't take what car salesmen say seriously. Its always a case of what they usually import and have on their lot being the best models for SL and everything else being crap until they bring one down to sell.

There is no such thing called a perfect car. They all have issues. 

• Like 1