• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Question

Dear members,

Given the recent changes in the budget, I have narrowed my search down to the below vehicles and would like your input as well. My main concerns are comfort, decent ground clearance and maintenance cost. The Toyota Rav4 was also considered, but I would have to buy a 7+ year used vehicle which I am not keen on doing.

My top picks

1. Audi Q2 1.0 Litre Turbo

2. Nissan Note E-Power 1.2 Litre

3. Honda Civic Hatchback 1.0 Litre turbo

4. Audi A3 1.0 Litre Turbo

5. Volkswagen Golf 1.2 TSI (Update: 28-11-2017)

My low picks

1. Toyota CH-R 1.2 Litre Turbo

2. Suzuki Ignis 1.2 Litre Hybrid

3. Suzuki Baleno 1.0 Litre Turbo

Thank you all :)

a31-0606.jpg

Baleno_F34_GLX1.png

ignis_sz-t_pwp_rf_32_cropped-copy.png

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Nissan_Note_E-Power-1-630x420.jpg

2017-Honda-Civic-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

img.png

Edited by dilshant80
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

So guys I went on a test drive in the Audi Q2 and I have to say the pick up from start stop traffic is amazing! You won't believe you are driving a 1 litre vehicle. Also handling is quite good and you don't feel the bumps on the road. Very pleased with the vehicle. Base price is 7.5m and the fully loaded one comes in at 8m. If you order now, the vehicle will arrive in 3 to 4 months :)

So what color did you get ?

Test drove the C-HR today as well and was a bit puzzled because the pick up was not as good as the Q2 even though the C-HR is a 1.2 litre turbo and the Q2 is a 1.0 litre turbo. handling and comfort wise the Audi definitely wins. I'm regretting test driving the Q2 first, because nothing can top that now for the budget crossover category :P

Edited by dilshant80
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

Test drove the C-HR today as well and was a bit puzzled because the pick up was not as good as the Q2 even though the C-HR is a 1.2 litre turbo and the Q2 is a 1.0 litre turbo. handling and comfort wise the Audi definitely wins. I'm regretting test driving the Q2 first, because nothing can top that now for the budget crossover category :P

They both have the same power out (or somewhere around that)...around 100hp ? However, the Q2 has a lot more torque than the C-HR. Like 180ish N.m against the Q2's 200something N.m. Also, if I am not mistaken the Q2 delivers its peak a lot lower down the rev range than the C-HR does. So..yeah it is natural for the Q2 to be quicker.

Also, Europeans squeezing out more power and torque out of smaller engines than the Japanese engines has always been the case.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iRage said:

They both have the same power out (or somewhere around that)...around 100hp ? However, the Q2 has a lot more torque than the C-HR. Like 180ish N.m against the Q2's 200something N.m. Also, if I am not mistaken the Q2 delivers its peak a lot lower down the rev range than the C-HR does. So..yeah it is natural for the Q2 to be quicker.

Also, Europeans squeezing out more power and torque out of smaller engines than the Japanese engines has always been the case.

You are spot on. Here are the figures:

C-HR = 114 bhp (116 PS/85 kW) of power at 5200-5600 rpm, and maximum torque of 185 N·m (136 lb·ft/18.9 kgm) at 1500-4000 rpm

Q2 = 85kW (114 bhp). Torque, 200 Nm.

Torque is better on the Q2

• Haha 1

Why is no one commenting on the longevity of these engines?

1000cc small blocks? long term high revving? 1000+kg heavy bodies built for larger engines?, Sri Lankan roads? hopefully atleast 100,000 km?

Also noting they cost quite a sum of money in Sri Lankan context whereas in other countries Cost POV depreciation is eminent and resale is not a concern and may even be considered disposable? Whereas in Sri Lanka you can still go buy a house SOmewhere! for 7mil:huh:

These are not 1000cc kei cars we talking about!

Note : CH-R / 185 Nm Torque is not a big value my friend for something that large designed for a Western market, considering tiny A70 Lancers and 80s Corollas had near 150Nm torque when new.

The small engine is not even offered in certain Western markets

Edited by tiv
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, tiv said:

1000cc small blocks? long term high revving? 1000+kg heavy bodies built for larger engines?, Sri Lankan roads? hopefully atleast 100,000 km?

Torque is related to other factors than  those mentioned above. more precise control of Injection durations,high compression with efficient turbochargers,high fuel pressure,EGR, intake and exhaust flaps,VVT, piston design,fuel stratification by injector nozzle design etc ..in short words "more efficient Engine management" . Thats why the Audi gets higher torque at a lower RPM than the C-HR,which is less efficient.

22 minutes ago, tiv said:

Why is no one commenting on the longevity of these engines?

Also noting they cost quite a sum of money in Sri Lankan context whereas in other countries Cost POV depreciation is eminent and resale is not a concern and may even be considered disposable? Whereas in Sri Lanka you can still go buy a house SOmewhere! for 7mil:huh:

These are not 1000cc kei cars we talking about!

Note : CH-R / 185 Nm Torque is not a big value my friend for something that large designed for a Western market, considering tiny A70 Lancers and 80s Corollas had near 150Nm torque when new.

Most of the 1.0 L are coming from UK, Civic 1.0L is manufactured in UK for Euro market. They cater for cars used mainly in cities and has huge tax advantages due to low emissions. It make sense even in Sri Lankan context when the price difference of the 1.0 L and a 1.5 L would be over 50% or Rs. 3.0 Mn.

Most of the cars in SL averages speeds less than 20 km/h and highway speeds are restricted to 100 km/h

Personally I enjoy a good nippy handling 1.0L trying to squeeze out every bhp rather than trying to control a 300 bhp + beast in SL roads.

3 hours ago, ajm said:

Torque is related to other factors than  those mentioned above. more precise control of Injection durations,high compression with efficient turbochargers,high fuel pressure,EGR, intake and exhaust flaps,VVT, piston design,fuel stratification by injector nozzle design etc ..in short words "more efficient Engine management" . Thats why the Audi gets higher torque at a lower RPM than the C-HR,which is less efficient.

My point was, and is, now added to your new points, with all this niggles and wizardry its making a low figure of course justified for its size but not justified for the "car mass" at the driving end. Whatever the Rpm or the 20Nm difference, I mean seriously ? you guys arguing about 20Nm torque differences?

I was not requiring any explanation on how these engines make their power 

Again as per experience one does know that EGR systems clog up engines, Turbochargers and high compression also takes of a few hundred thousand miles off an engines life. 

As you said efficient engine management for low emissions , fuel economy and most bang per buck per cylinder CC. But haven't they not compromised the lifespan; longevity of these small engines?

Will you not want your 7mil bragging right to last a few years?

Edited by tiv

3 hours ago, kush said:

Most of the 1.0 L are coming from UK, Civic 1.0L is manufactured in UK for Euro market. They cater for cars used mainly in cities and has huge tax advantages due to low emissions. It make sense even in Sri Lankan context when the price difference of the 1.0 L and a 1.5 L would be over 50% or Rs. 3.0 Mn.

Most of the cars in SL averages speeds less than 20 km/h and highway speeds are restricted to 100 km/h

Personally I enjoy a good nippy handling 1.0L trying to squeeze out every bhp rather than trying to control a 300 bhp + beast in SL roads.

Price point of view true, 

But do note conditions in UK or the mainland Europe are very different from ours in terms of weather, fuel quality, maintenance, road conditions etc. The only thing common is the traffic. Again I was asking why longevity is not a concern, in these highly 'stressed engines'

I have two these options. What is your advice on this?

1. Buying a brand new Honda civic 1.0l (uk) for 6.2M.

2. Buying 2013 or 2014 Toyota premio used one for 6.2M.

My concern is about longevity and second hand market rather than fuel consumption.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Senalw said:

I have two these options. What is your advice on this?

1. Buying a brand new Honda civic 1.0l (uk) for 6.2M.

2. Buying 2013 or 2014 Toyota premio used one for 6.2M.

My concern is about longevity and second hand market rather than fuel consumption.

Well think about it like you are going to marry a virgin devoid of any STDs vs a very "experienced" girl with a known or unknown history of possible STDs ;) Who would you choose?

On 12/6/2017 at 2:03 PM, tiv said:

What load of bollocks! The 1.2 turbo is sold in the US, which is the biggest western market importer!

On 12/6/2017 at 5:48 PM, tiv said:

Price point of view true, 

But do note conditions in UK or the mainland Europe are very different from ours in terms of weather, fuel quality, maintenance, road conditions etc. The only thing common is the traffic. Again I was asking why longevity is not a concern, in these highly 'stressed engines'

Agree with this point. Cars made for European conditions might not fair well here in the long run, given the factors you have mentioned.  

7 hours ago, MV-5 said:

In SL, second hand market is a synonym for fuel consumption.

Civic is 2017 generation, Premio debut in 2007, 10 year generation gap

Honda has more power, it is better than the last generation, will be more safer.

Your Premio would have done over 60k may be 100k and clocked, where as Honda will be 0 milage

When you are selling assuming on 5 years, Honda will be 5 years old where as the Premio will be 10 years

Go for the newer better car, feeling when you get a brand new car is very much different go take a risk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Saw an ad by Staff##rd Motors that they are ready to bring down Civic 1.5L Turbo. ?

They have planed to bring 1.0l too. Ex model price may be 6.8M.They told that they will only sell fully loaded package of this. (EX package)

On 12/8/2017 at 8:45 AM, dilshant80 said:

What load of bollocks! The 1.2 turbo is sold in the US, which is the biggest western market importer!

I believe you missed the point. The point that was supposed to come across was that the torque figure generated by cars like the CHR (and even the HP values) are "not that high" and is pretty much the same as a Corolla or Sunny from quite sometime ago as well. So although it is a turbo charged engine it is not turbo charged to be ass kickingly quick like a Subaru Forrester XT or an Evo/WRX/etc... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎08 at 2:47 AM, dilshant80 said:

Agree with this point. Cars made for European conditions might not fair well here in the long run, given the factors you have mentioned.  

I guess you meant to say"made for UK conditions"? Cars made for "mainland " Europe have to consider temperatures from hot Spanish summer near 40 degrees to freezing Siberian winters minus 30!