• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Question

Dear members,

Given the recent changes in the budget, I have narrowed my search down to the below vehicles and would like your input as well. My main concerns are comfort, decent ground clearance and maintenance cost. The Toyota Rav4 was also considered, but I would have to buy a 7+ year used vehicle which I am not keen on doing.

My top picks

1. Audi Q2 1.0 Litre Turbo

2. Nissan Note E-Power 1.2 Litre

3. Honda Civic Hatchback 1.0 Litre turbo

4. Audi A3 1.0 Litre Turbo

5. Volkswagen Golf 1.2 TSI (Update: 28-11-2017)

My low picks

1. Toyota CH-R 1.2 Litre Turbo

2. Suzuki Ignis 1.2 Litre Hybrid

3. Suzuki Baleno 1.0 Litre Turbo

Thank you all :)

a31-0606.jpg

Baleno_F34_GLX1.png

ignis_sz-t_pwp_rf_32_cropped-copy.png

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Nissan_Note_E-Power-1-630x420.jpg

2017-Honda-Civic-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

img.png

Edited by dilshant80
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, dilshant80 said:

Most make Euro cars seem like white elephants which makes me ponder as to why would a person buy a Euro car in the first place, if they are going to be stuck with a white elephant :sad-smiley-067:

Well..its not a white elephant per say...call it a somewhat demanding, independent yet fun loving and caring girlfriend...you know...the kind of girl who is an awesome girlfriend but will get pissed off at you and put you in the dog house without actually telling you about it if you forget her birthday/anniversary/etc... You need a certain discipline to be with one.

It would be a whole lot easier if you were buying one from the agent where you have the agent's help to take care of her (the car ! not the girlfriend !).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, iRage said:

Well..its not a white elephant per say...call it a somewhat demanding, independent yet fun loving and caring girlfriend...you know...the kind of girl who is an awesome girlfriend but will get pissed off at you and put you in the dog house without actually telling you about it if you forget her birthday/anniversary/etc... You need a certain discipline to be with one.

It would be a whole lot easier if you were buying one from the agent where you have the agent's help to take care of her (the car ! not the girlfriend !).

Good analogy @iRage but ultimately arn't all women like Euro cars :D. Your point on the agent is a good one since it is going to be my first Euro car it makes sense to go through the agent. The only downside is that the price difference between the agent and third party vehicle importer is rs.1M!! btw @Supra_Natural mentioned Vishwa Motors for Audi related maintenance. Seems a good alternative to the agents once the warranty period is over

23 hours ago, dilshant80 said:

Thanks @iRage. The Audi I plan on getting down from Sterling Japan and not from the agents. The Sterling warranty covers the engine and transmission for 2 years. The price at the agent will be high. Also the Audi base model is hovering at the 6.5m mark and this is without climate control AC, folding side mirrors and reverse camera (Audi Q2 SE trim in Audi UK). So if the extra options result in a steep increase in price, it might be nudged out of the list.

The only choice left for me in Toyotas is the CH-R (Don't want to go for the Aqua or Axio, since they are insanely priced now due to the change in tax structure).

Since I test drove the Note E-Power, pickup is better than my Aqua. Drove both the S and Medallist.The S seats are not that comfortable but The Mediallist seats are quite good and there is surprisingly good rear leg room for passengers.

$35 for a service!!!! Wish I could go to Vietnam just for the service LOL! :D

Have u done a test drive audi q2 yet? If so how is the pulling power and etc? 

As for ur decision buying a q2 i support your fine as idea, at the end of the day its a european car and fun to drive! 

Plz do update me as well with the experience! 

6 minutes ago, weezy said:

Have u done a test drive audi q2 yet? If so how is the pulling power and etc? 

As for ur decision buying a q2 i support your fine as idea, at the end of the day its a european car and fun to drive! 

Plz do update me as well with the experience! 

Going for a test drive this weekend!

don't the budgets always bring threads like these :D 

A wise man once said  "when in doubt go for Japanese".  This is just my opinion mate but I think when a car enthusiast is ready for a Euro  that person knows it and will not even consider a Jap. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, matroska said:

don't the budgets always bring threads like these :D 

A wise man once said  "when in doubt go for Japanese".  This is just my opinion mate but I think when a car enthusiast is ready for a Euro  that person knows it and will not even consider a Jap. 

Why this discrimination of Jap vs Euro. You guys are sounding just like the past era  Racial segregation in the United States:)

hii everyone!

good news !

Seems like nissan local agent is going to launch nissan e-note in Sri Lanka (attached here with proof doc) therefore once they launch it, without any doubt we can have it because they are responsible for after sales services. i'd like to add few things about Suzuki Baleno as well. All baleno's are made in india under global car platform like nissan and same car shipped to japan with adding several safety features and tech gadgets. However the core is same as the car available in india (referring to 1000cc double booster jet) therefore car is suitable for SL roads and SL use. Unfortunately this car is having built quality issues related to its sheet metal (body panels). 

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/SUZUKI/BALENO/971017102202400353007/index.html

and also i'd like to share some info related to nissan 1200cc turbo line up. Nissan pulsar 1200cc which is their best selling hatch in europe and it is also known as tiida in asia. pulsar is a good looking family hatch with more spacious interior with multiple safety features with quite impressive acceleration and also its kmpl also much better than compare to  cars available in its segment. we can import this car from either uk or from singapore but i asked from local car importer whether they can import this car, the answer was due to lack of awareness no one is demanding this so car importers are not interested to import it. The biggest plus point is even the car shipped to Singapore also made in Spain under GBP 16000 price.   

Screenshot_2017-11-28-21-45-17.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dhachamila said:

hii everyone!

good news !

Seems like nissan local agent is going to launch nissan e-note in Sri Lanka (attached here with proof doc) therefore once they launch it, without any doubt we can have it because they are responsible for after sales services. i'd like to add few things about Suzuki Baleno as well. All baleno's are made in india under global car platform like nissan and same car shipped to japan with adding several safety features and tech gadgets. However the core is same as the car available in india (referring to 1000cc double booster jet) therefore car is suitable for SL roads and SL use. Unfortunately this car is having built quality issues related to its sheet metal (body panels). 

http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/SUZUKI/BALENO/971017102202400353007/index.html

and also i'd like to share some info related to nissan 1200cc turbo line up. Nissan pulsar 1200cc which is their best selling hatch in europe and it is also known as tiida in asia. pulsar is a good looking family hatch with more spacious interior with multiple safety features with quite impressive acceleration and also its kmpl also much better than compare to  cars available in its segment. we can import this car from either uk or from singapore but i asked from local car importer whether they can import this car, the answer was due to lack of awareness no one is demanding this so car importers are not interested to import it. The biggest plus point is even the car shipped to Singapore also made in Spain under GBP 16000 price.   

Screenshot_2017-11-28-21-45-17.jpg

Thank you for this useful information @dhachamila!

9 hours ago, dhachamila said:

i'd like to add few things about Suzuki Baleno as well. All baleno's are made in india under global car platform like nissan and same car shipped to japan with adding several safety features and tech gadgets. However the core is same as the car available in india (referring to 1000cc double booster jet) therefore car is suitable for SL roads and SL use. Unfortunately this car is having built quality issues related to its sheet metal (body panels)

Yes...the Baleno is assembled in India and imported to Japan with some minor changes in the emissions control systems (i.e. to meet Japanese standards). The Baleno is not very famous in Japan....haven't checked it out but the general consensus from the reviewers seem to be:

- The cabin is large and roomy for its class

- Engine and gearbox (6 speed AT..none of that CVT stuff) is well suited and mated

- Has decent pickup

- Poor cabin insulation with Engine and road noise coming in tot he cabin (and these are on Japanese roads !)

- Although made in India it is well put together..BUT you can see slight differences in gaping of stictches of the seats, weather strip type, etc...when compared to other Suzuki models made in India (i.e. Swift)

Biggest downfall seems to be the suspension. Apparently the suspension (springs and shocks) are small in design in order to make room for more cabin space. As a result the suspension's "travel" is less thus it makes the ride bouncy and hard and not very pleasant on long drives. So I don't know how comfortable the car would be on Sri Lankan roads that are not very uniform. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iRage said:

Yes...the Baleno is assembled in India and imported to Japan with some minor changes in the emissions control systems (i.e. to meet Japanese standards). The Baleno is not very famous in Japan....haven't checked it out but the general consensus from the reviewers seem to be:

- The cabin is large and roomy for its class

- Engine and gearbox (6 speed AT..none of that CVT stuff) is well suited and mated

- Has decent pickup

- Poor cabin insulation with Engine and road noise coming in tot he cabin (and these are on Japanese roads !)

- Although made in India it is well put together..BUT you can see slight differences in gaping of stictches of the seats, weather strip type, etc...when compared to other Suzuki models made in India (i.e. Swift)

Biggest downfall seems to be the suspension. Apparently the suspension (springs and shocks) are small in design in order to make room for more cabin space. As a result the suspension's "travel" is less thus it makes the ride bouncy and hard and not very pleasant on long drives. So I don't know how comfortable the car would be on Sri Lankan roads that are not very uniform. 

This would result in more suspension wear in tear as well right?

Just now, dilshant80 said:

This would result in more suspension wear in tear as well right?

Probably....

The overall feeling seems to be that it is a let down when compared to the Swift because it doesn't hold the road as well as the Swift.

So..if you are looking to buy a Baleno, hoping that it would be like the Swift. Then don't. The Baleno in the 90s and early 2000s were based on the Cultus which was kind of like a sister car to the Swift, so back in the day the Baleno had similarities to the Swift. Not anymore.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 9:54 AM, dantoddd said:

Is this turbo or just normal 1.2

On 11/28/2017 at 8:47 PM, dilshant80 said:

Another contender to the list!

Volkswagen Golf 1.2 TSI = Rs. 5.5M upwards

img.png

This should may be 1.0 Turbo, replacement for 1.2

Duty for 1.2 will be Rs. 3.3 M final price of Rs. 5.5 Mn. not possible

Best in my view

Civic 1.0 Turbo

Audi Q2, A1, A3

Suzuki Swift 1.0 RSt, Toyota Vitz if you need Jap

If you can afford Range Rover

Edited by kush

10 minutes ago, kush said:

This should may be 1.0 Turbo, replacement for 1.2

Duty for 1.2 will be Rs. 3.3 M final price of Rs. 5.5 Mn. not possible

Best in my view

Civic 1.0 Turbo

Audi Q2, A1, A3

Suzuki Swift 1.0 RSt, Toyota Vitz if you need Jap

If you can afford Range Rover

Golf is not brand new price. 2015 YOM price

Edited by dilshant80

So guys I went on a test drive in the Audi Q2 and I have to say the pick up from start stop traffic is amazing! You won't believe you are driving a 1 litre vehicle. Also handling is quite good and you don't feel the bumps on the road. Very pleased with the vehicle. Base price is 7.5m and the fully loaded one comes in at 8m. If you order now, the vehicle will arrive in 3 to 4 months :)

24281615_10155527513859219_1162366892_o.jpg