• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Question

Dear members,

Given the recent changes in the budget, I have narrowed my search down to the below vehicles and would like your input as well. My main concerns are comfort, decent ground clearance and maintenance cost. The Toyota Rav4 was also considered, but I would have to buy a 7+ year used vehicle which I am not keen on doing.

My top picks

1. Audi Q2 1.0 Litre Turbo

2. Nissan Note E-Power 1.2 Litre

3. Honda Civic Hatchback 1.0 Litre turbo

4. Audi A3 1.0 Litre Turbo

5. Volkswagen Golf 1.2 TSI (Update: 28-11-2017)

My low picks

1. Toyota CH-R 1.2 Litre Turbo

2. Suzuki Ignis 1.2 Litre Hybrid

3. Suzuki Baleno 1.0 Litre Turbo

Thank you all :)

a31-0606.jpg

Baleno_F34_GLX1.png

ignis_sz-t_pwp_rf_32_cropped-copy.png

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Nissan_Note_E-Power-1-630x420.jpg

2017-Honda-Civic-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

img.png

Edited by dilshant80
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, iRage said:

The fact that you are asking maintenance cost and the perception that you seem to have included the Audis because they are cheap; suggests to me that you should go with a Japanese car. Not because they are cheaper but I feel that you might not be entirely up to appreciating a Euro car nor committed to the cause. 

Anyway...sorry for stereotyping you...but anyway....

Well the only cars that have ground clearance on your list would be the two Audis, the Toyota and the Suzuki Ignis. All the others are, if I am not mistaken, are around 130mm.

The Ignis is a small car, so if you want space that is out. Also because it is quite light its not going to be as comfy on long drives as the two Audis and the Toyota because the ride would not be as well grounded as a heavier car.

That leaves the Audis and the Toyota.

If you take the Toyota to a decent garage and use genuine parts the cost of maintenance between the Audi and the Toyota is going to be pretty much the same (sometimes even more). Its just that with time there might be cheaper (not that recommendable) parts out in the market for the Toyota. There are ways and means to get Audi parts at a sensible price but I am not sure if you would extend yourself to actually follow up on these sources. So you might always be at the agent's mercy for parts (which can get expensive). On the other hand you will be getting a brand new Audi from the Agent ? which will come with a manufacturer's warranty. The Toyota will be a grey import and you will be at the mercy of third party warranties and the dealer who sold you the car (should you ever need to utilize the warranty).

All three are pretty well put together cars with decent ride comfort. At the end of the day, one is a Toyota and the other/s is/are an Audi. The former will be easily to get rid of some day whilst the latter might attract only a certain segment of people.

Thanks @iRage for the input. Once concern I had on the CH-R was the claustrophobic issue in the rear (specially for children) as well as the rear visibility, hence the inclusion in the low priority list. This was actually my top pic but got some negative comments on the vehicle from existing users.

I won't be getting the Audi from the agent, but will be getting one imported with Sterling warranty.

I have a mechanic friend who has repaired all my cars to date (Had a Kia Sephia, a Toyota Allion and presently a Toyota Aqua), so will not be going to the agent for any repairs. He however, like others, cautioned me against Audis given the cost of their parts. Since I am a middle class level earning individual, overall maintenance cost is an important factor to me.

Today I went to see a Toyota CH-R, Nissan Note E-Power, Audi Q2 and a Suzuki Ignis. Got to test drive the Nissan Note and have to say that the pickup is much better than the Aqua. However when I was in the Audi Q2, it was like love at first sight! The  interior you cannot even compare to the other counterparts.

You make a very good point btw regarding Toyota, given the brand recognition in Sri Lanka.

Ground clearances are as follows:

1. Audi Q2 1.0 Litre Turbo = 150mm

2. Nissan Note E-Power 1.2 Litre = 150mm

3. Honda Civic Hatchback 1.0 Litre turbo = 130mm

4. Audi A3 1.0 Litre Turbo = 125mm

5. Toyota CH-R 1.2 Litre Turbo = 160mm

6. Suzuki Ignis 1.2 Litre Hybrid = 180mm

7. Suzuki Baleno 1.0 Litre Turbo = 170mm

Anything better than the 140mm ground clearance of the Aqua would do fine :)

Edited by dilshant80
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

What is your budget?

The prices of vehicles you have mentioned varies from 3.5 million to 7.5M

Maximum limit is 7M but I am looking for the best value for money vehicle in the long run. My preferred price point is less 5M but can stretch the budget if required, for a better quality vehicle. These were the prices I got for personal import:

1. Audi Q2 1.0 Litre Turbo = 6.5M

2. Nissan Note E-Power 1.2 Litre = 4.8M

3. Honda Civic Hatchback 1.0 Litre turbo = 6.3M (Ex model)

4. Audi A3 1.0 Litre Turbo = 6.5M

5. Toyota CH-R 1.2 Litre Turbo = 6.7M ST, 7M GT

6. Suzuki Ignis 1.2 Litre Hybrid = 4M

7. Suzuki Baleno 1.0 Litre Turbo = 3.5M

Edited by dilshant80
  • Like 1

I have a feeling this thread will become a cautionary tale on AL in the Future.

@dilshant80 as someone who has owned a VW group product and a few other Euro cars, believe me when I say, I would strongly advise you to get something other than the Audi option, purely based on what you seem to be looking for. All kinds of people will make all kinds of statements about this and that, but the fact remains in Sri Lankan conditions, a Japanese car will remain the better bet in the long run if you are constrained by budget and time. 

Also if you feel you want the Audi no matter what, there is an option other than the agents for VW/Audi - Vishwa Motors. They are pretty good and generally keep up to date with the newer models also. They also have their own independent parts suppliers as well.

You might also want to check and verify whether this "Sterling Warranty" covers everything on an Audi that it would on a Jap car, because you REALLY do not want to get stuck with a warranty that is of no use to you and importers just LOVE exclusion clauses.  

Anyway, your money, your choice. Do keep us updated on what you eventually choose. 

• Thanks 1

The fact that you are asking maintenance cost and the perception that you seem to have included the Audis because they are cheap; suggests to me that you should go with a Japanese car. Not because they are cheaper but I feel that you might not be entirely up to appreciating a Euro car nor committed to the cause. 

Anyway...sorry for stereotyping you...but anyway....

Well the only cars that have ground clearance on your list would be the two Audis, the Toyota and the Suzuki Ignis. All the others are, if I am not mistaken, are around 130mm.

The Ignis is a small car, so if you want space that is out. Also because it is quite light its not going to be as comfy on long drives as the two Audis and the Toyota because the ride would not be as well grounded as a heavier car.

That leaves the Audis and the Toyota.

If you take the Toyota to a decent garage and use genuine parts the cost of maintenance between the Audi and the Toyota is going to be pretty much the same (sometimes even more). Its just that with time there might be cheaper (not that recommendable) parts out in the market for the Toyota. There are ways and means to get Audi parts at a sensible price but I am not sure if you would extend yourself to actually follow up on these sources. So you might always be at the agent's mercy for parts (which can get expensive). On the other hand you will be getting a brand new Audi from the Agent ? which will come with a manufacturer's warranty. The Toyota will be a grey import and you will be at the mercy of third party warranties and the dealer who sold you the car (should you ever need to utilize the warranty).

All three are pretty well put together cars with decent ride comfort. At the end of the day, one is a Toyota and the other/s is/are an Audi. The former will be easily to get rid of some day whilst the latter might attract only a certain segment of people.

to me the C-HR looks like how the Q2 will look, after an accident ? Unless you want good 2nd hand price, go for the Audi. Wait,didn't the Toyota just lose 4million value in one day? Is that still good 2nd hand value for those who bought it before the budget? the government policy seems to be to reduce taxes on smaller engine vehicles,so when the next Toyota comes out with a smaller engine and similar power, the current CHR would be less attractive for a second hand buyer too.

by the way, where did you drive the Q2, does it feel underpowered with the 1L engine?

Edited by ajm

17 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

Thanks @iRage for the input. Once concern I had on the CH-R was the claustrophobic issue in the rear (specially for children) as well as the rear visibility, hence the inclusion in the low priority list. This was actually my top pic but got some negative comments on the vehicle from existing users.

I have a mechanic friend who has repaired all my cars to date (Had a Kia Sephia, a Toyota Allion and presently a Toyota Aqua), so will not be going to the agent for any repairs. He however, like others, cautioned me against Audis given the cost of their parts. Since I am a middle class level earning individual, overall maintenance cost is an important factor to me.

Today I went to see a Toyota CH-R, Nissan Note E-Power, Audi Q2 and a Suzuki Ignis. Got to test drive the Nissan Note and have to say that the pickup is much better than the Aqua. However when I was in the Audi Q2, it was like love at first sight! The  interior you cannot even compare to the other counterparts.

You make a very good point btw regarding Toyota, given the brand recognition in Sri Lanka.

Ground clearances are as follows:

1. Audi Q2 1.0 Litre Turbo = 150mm

2. Nissan Note E-Power 1.2 Litre = 150mm

3. Honda Civic Hatchback 1.0 Litre turbo = 130mm

4. Audi A3 1.0 Litre Turbo = 125mm

5. Toyota CH-R 1.2 Litre Turbo = 160mm

6. Suzuki Ignis 1.2 Litre Hybrid = 180mm

7. Suzuki Baleno 1.0 Litre Turbo = 170mm

Anything better than the 140mm ground clearance of the Aqua would do fine :)

Well..that is it right there ! ....I would not trust a Euro car with any mechanic who does not know the brand inside out. So if you plan to take your Audi to your mechanic friend....do not buy one ! Unlike Japanese cars Euro cars are known to be more advanced when it comes to how all the systems are integrated. Again...with all due respect...you don't seem to be the type who will be taking care of the Audi like it should be. 

Yes..Audis do have a better and luxurious interior. After all it is a brand with some prestige behind it. Usually it does come with a premium price tag. The only reason it is cheaper than most Japanese cars is our ridiculous import duty structure.

The most negative thing about the CHR is the rear visibility. Its not as practical as a Vezel in day to day use. But it is a nice car. Perhaps you should buy a Vezel :)

On the topic of looks..yes the C-HR does stand out and it is somewhat of an acquired taste. But then again the Q2 does look dated.

Edited by iRage

2 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

Maximum limit is 7M but I am looking for the best value for money vehicle in the long run. These were the prices I got for personal import:

1. Audi Q2 1.0 Litre Turbo = 6.5M

2. Nissan Note E-Power 1.2 Litre = 4.8M

3. Honda Civic Hatchback 1.0 Litre turbo = 6.3M (Ex model)

4. Audi A3 1.0 Litre Turbo = 6.5M

5. Toyota CH-R 1.2 Litre Turbo = 6.7M ST, 7M GT

6. Suzuki Ignis 1.2 Litre Hybrid = 4M

7. Suzuki Baleno 1.0 Litre Turbo = 3.5M

Get a Toyota CHR GT turbo. But I doubt you'll get a decent one for 7M.

36 minutes ago, iRage said:

Well..that is it right there ! ....I would not trust a Euro car with any mechanic who does not know the brand inside out. So if you plan to take your Audi to your mechanic friend....do not buy one ! Unlike Japanese cars Euro cars are known to be more advanced when it comes to how all the systems are integrated. Again...with all due respect...you don't seem to be the type who will be taking care of the Audi like it should be. If you don't take care of it...

Yes..Audis do have a better and luxurious interior. After all it is a brand with some prestige behind it. Usually it does come with a premium price tag. The only reason it is cheaper than most Japanese cars is our ridiculous import duty structure.

The most negative thing about the CHR is the rear visibility. Its not as practical as a Vezel in day to day use. But it is a nice car. Perhaps you should buy a Vezel :)

On the topic of looks..yes the C-HR does stand out and it is somewhat of an acquired taste. But then again the Q2 does look dated.

"you don't seem to be the type who will be taking care of the Audi like it should be". @iRage Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? From 2015 to date, the only maintenance I needed for my Aqua were the routine filter replacements every 6 months. Would an Audi require more care than this?

btw I will be steering clear of Vezels given their transmission and other issues.

Edited by dilshant80

22 minutes ago, ajm said:

to me the C-HR looks like how the Q2 will look, after an accident ? Unless you want good 2nd hand price, go for the Audi. Wait,didn't the Toyota just lose 4million value in one day? Is that still good 2nd hand value for those who bought it before the budget? the government policy seems to be to reduce taxes on smaller engine vehicles,so when the next Toyota comes out with a smaller engine and similar power, the current CHR would be less attractive for a second hand buyer too.

by the way, where did you drive the Q2, does it feel underpowered with the 1L engine?

Did not get a chance to drive the Q2. Hoping to do so probably next week. The car sale was in Dutugemunu street.

20 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

Would an Audi require more care than this?

No it wont. Even the service intervals are 2times longer than the Japanese ones. But you might need an extra bottle of oil in between the services,during the engine break-in period. you are spot on against the people who are discouraging your from buying a European car. The CHR itself is a good proof that Toyotas having a good resale value is a myth now,those who bought a few months ago at 10million are now forced to sell at 6million. The AE110 days are over,and people who bought aqua and Prius have a hard time selling because of battery worries. Not worth the buck and trouble!

1 minute ago, vag2 said:

No it wont. Even the service intervals are 2times longer than the Japanese ones. But you might need an extra bottle of oil in between the services,during the engine break-in period. you are spot on against the people who are discouraging your from buying a European car. The CHR itself is a good proof that Toyotas having a good resale value is a myth now,those who bought a few months ago at 10million are now forced to sell at 6million. The AE110 days are over,and people who bought aqua and Prius have a hard time selling because of battery worries. Not worth the buck and trouble!

Thanks @vag2. I am just looking for a reliable vehicle which I can run for a decent amount of time but all this talk about high maintenance of Euro cars got me wondering why go for a Euro car if they break more frequently than a Japanese one? Your answer game more clarity into the issue in concern.

21 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

"you don't seem to be the type who will be taking care of the Audi like it should be". Could you elaborate on what you mean by this? From 2015 to date, the only maintenance I needed for my Aqua were the routine filter replacements every 6 months. Would an Audi require more care than this?

btw I will be steering clear of Vezels given their transmission and other issues.

Well...I hope you changed the oil at least :)

Well...for most high end cars, I am not being specific to Audi but even for something like Lexus, you have to do things like reset service reminders and for some you even have to re-calibrate sensors, etc... so it is not a matter of taking it to your service station, ,draining out the oil, swapping the filter and filling back the oil. These are not serious things but things that will be done only by people who know what they are doing and what needs to be done.  Yes...it worked for your Aqua, Sephia and Allion because they are not complicated cars. The difference between those and an Audi is like the difference between plastic disposable cutlery and sterling silver cutlery.

Also, ANY car (let it be an Audi or a Toyota) ! will get little niggles now and then ...it ALWAYS happens. There is no such thing as a car that has no issues and never get issues (cars develop issues even when they are just parked). When those issues pop up....you can't take it to your mechanic friend or the baas down the road.  

Also, I am not sure of the local Audi agent, but with some agents of premium brands, you have to go to them for servicing during the warranty period. If you don't the warranty may get void. So if you are buying it from the agent, you should double check it. 

8 minutes ago, iRage said:

Well...I hope you changed the oil at least :)

Well...for most high end cars, I am not being specific to Audi but even for something like Lexus, you have to do things like reset service reminders and for some you even have to re-calibrate sensors, etc... so it is not a matter of taking it to your service station, ,draining out the oil, swapping the filter and filling back the oil. These are not serious things but things that will be done only by people who know what they are doing and what needs to be done.  Yes...it worked for your Aqua, Sephia and Allion because they are not complicated cars. The difference between those and an Audi is like the difference between plastic disposable cutlery and sterling silver cutlery.

Also, ANY car (let it be an Audi or a Toyota) ! will get little niggles now and then ...it ALWAYS happens. There is no such thing as a car that has no issues and never get issues (cars develop issues even when they are just parked). When those issues pop up....you can't take it to your mechanic friend or the baas down the road.  

Also, I am not sure of the local Audi agent, but with some agents of premium brands, you have to go to them for servicing during the warranty period. If you don't the warranty may get void. So if you are buying it from the agent, you should double check it. 

I think you may have misjudged me as a dimwitted person who only knows to drive a vehicle and apart from that knows nothing about vehicle maintenance. When I meant filter replacements every 6 months, that meant taking my car to the official Sterling agents and getting them to do the required service and maintenance. My older vehicles I took to my mechanic friend, and I am aware of running repairs and parts required for 10+ year old vehicles and I am also a person capable of taking care of a vehicle and ensuring its running in topping condition, unlike the person who you think I am. My mechanic friend who is actually an electrical engineer in profession has an existing customer base of Mercedes, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Audi, Peugeot and Volvo. I guess you have misjudged him as well thinking he is a common "baas". His extensive experience on vehicles is why he cautioned me on an Audi. 

Anyways no harm done on your misjudgment. You have given valuable advice to date and people do make mistakes :)

Edited by dilshant80

4 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

Thanks @vag2. I am just looking for a reliable vehicle which I can run for a decent amount of time but all this talk about high maintenance of Euro cars got me wondering why go for a Euro car if they break more frequently than a Japanese one? Your answer game more clarity into the issue in concern.

I did not say it will break more often ! What I am saying is you have to be more stringent about how you service it and where you maintain it. As for cost...liek I said..if you take care of a Toyota with genuine parts and stuff it will cost as much as a European car...Yes the service interval at an Audi is doblet hat of a Toyota...however the price pretty much balances out because one service in an Audi at a dealership costs about two services at the Toyota agent.

So far you do not seem to be the type who will be dedicated enough to take care of an European car.  I am discouraging you from an European car because you are not willing to take care of it....even a Toyota needs to be properly taken care of but those cars are more simple than a European car and any maka baas can take care of it. However, that too is probably going to change with the newer Japanese cars.

1 minute ago, iRage said:

I did not say it will break more often ! What I am saying is you have to be more stringent about how you service it and where you maintain it. As for cost...liek I said..if you take care of a Toyota with genuine parts and stuff it will cost as much as a European car...Yes the service interval at an Audi is doblet hat of a Toyota...however the price pretty much balances out because one service in an Audi at a dealership costs about two services at the Toyota agent.

So far you do not seem to be the type who will be dedicated enough to take care of an European car.  I am discouraging you from an European car because you are not willing to take care of it....even a Toyota needs to be properly taken care of but those cars are more simple than a European car and any maka baas can take care of it. However, that too is probably going to change with the newer Japanese cars.

Thank you @iRage. I have responded to your misjudgment of me, above. btw i never claimed you said that Euro cars break down. That was the perception I got, when I was dissuaded to buy a Euro car.

11 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

I think you may have misjudged me as a dimwitted person who only knows to drive a vehicle and apart from that knows nothing about vehicle maintenance. When I meant filter replacements every 6 months, that meant taking my car to the official Sterling agents and getting them to do the required service and maintenance. My older vehicles I took to my mechanic friend, and I am aware of running repairs and parts required for 10+ year old vehicles and I am also a person capable of taking care of a vehicle and ensuring its running in topping condition, unlike the person who you think I am. My mechanic friend who is actually an electrical engineer in profession has an existing customer base of Mercedes, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Audi, Peugeot and Volvo. I guess you have misjudged him as well thinking he is a common "baas". His extensive experience on vehicles is why he cautioned me on an Audi. 

Anyways no harm done on your misjudgment. You have given valuable advice to date and people do make mistakes :)

No..I am not making a mistake....and I truly do hope that you don't buy an Audi and later find out my cautionary words were right. The very fact that you are being uncertain in face of all this  and pondering about it shows that you are not ready for an Audi. 

The thing is..cars that are 10+ years old..are a total different ball game than the new ones. 

I said the person fixing the Euro car has to know the brand...if your friend knows the brand then fine. But then don't you think you are being oxymoronic here  ? The mechanic friend you trust and will be taking the car to is advising you against the Audi for you...yet you are going against his recommendation. So does he know what he is talking about or not ?

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, iRage said:

No..I am not making a mistake....the very fact that you are asking these questions and pondering about it shows that you are not ready for a European car (Audi or otherwise). If you were truly passionate about a European car you would not have any of these uncertainties. you would buy it for the passion you have for the car and it would not matter if you have to scour the ends of the planet to get it fixed. Lets be honest..the only reason the Audis made your list is because they are cheap after the new taxes. 

The thing is..cars that are 10+ years old..are a total different ball game than the new ones. 

I said the person fixing the Euro car has to know the brand...if your friend knows the brand then fine. But then don't you think you are being oxymoronic here  ? The mechanic friend you trust and will be taking the car to is advising you against the Audi for you...yet you are going against his recommendation.

His concern on the Audi was second hand value, which given the SL market, is valid. I would have loved to go for the CH-R, if not for the visibility and claustrophobic issues. Anyways even the Aqua has this rear visibility issue. 

Regarding the Audi, as long as there are spare parts available in SL and if not, if there is a way to get them imported without much of a hassel, then it would be a good consideration.

BTW yes the Audi came to my attention after the tax reduction. Is it so wrong for a middle class citizen to want a luxury brand ride? Is it only the rich and entitled, who have the right to drive Euro vehicles? :) 

12 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

His concern on the Audi was second hand value, which given the SL market, is valid. I would have loved to go for the CH-R, if not for the visibility and claustrophobic issues. Anyways even the Aqua has this rear visibility issue. 

Regarding the Audi, as long as there are spare parts available in SL and if not, if there is a way to get them imported without much of a hassel, then it would be a good consideration.

BTW yes the Audi came to my attention after the tax reduction. Is it so wrong for a middle class citizen to want a luxury brand ride? Is it only the rich and entitled, who have the right to drive Euro vehicles? :) 

He’s not saying you have to be rich and entitled; he’s saying you have to be interested and diligent.

For the love of God, please listen to iRage he knows what he’s talking about.

18 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

You can always import parts from UK and places and get them couriered. Sometimes customs can get a bit of an issue (depending on the part) and how much duty you will have to pay will depend on how well you can smile and act lost and sweet. But still will be cheaper. What a lot of people do is they get down consumable parts and those needed for scheduled maintenances via friends, etc and store them up.

Most new Japanese cars have rear visibility issues...seems to be a phase they are going through. 

Nothing wrong with middle class wanting a premium brand. I never implied that nor did I imply that it should be only for the rich...the thing is...sometimes practicality trumps "need". Do you have the discipline (or the means...you yourself did say you are middle class worker and maintenance cost is important to you) to actually give a premium brand the care it wants at the right time with the right parts when and where needed by the right people (okay...you have your friend) ? To be honest this will hold true even for the C-HR, its just that for most mainstream Japanese models that make it to SL you get ship loads of new and used spare parts and thus far most Japanese models have been a bit forgiving with slacking on maintenance.

EDIT : Yes..Shitaro put it the right way..you need to be interested and diligent :) Words that eluded me :)

Edited by iRage

7 minutes ago, iRage said:

You can always import parts from UK and places and get them couriered. Sometimes customs can get a bit of an issue (depending on the part) and how much duty you will have to pay will depend on how well you can smile and act lost and sweet. But still will be cheaper. What a lot of people do is they get down consumable parts and those needed for scheduled maintenances via friends, etc and store them up.

Most new Japanese cars have rear visibility issues...seems to be a phase they are going through. 

Nothing wrong with middle class wanting a premium brand. I never implied that nor did I imply that it should be only for the rich...the thing is...sometimes practicality trumps "need". Do you have the discipline (or the means...you yourself did say you are middle class worker and maintenance cost is important to you) to actually give a premium brand the care it wants at the right time with the right parts when and where needed by the right people (okay...you have your friend) ? To be honest this will hold true even for the C-HR, its just that for most mainstream Japanese models that make it to SL you get ship loads of new and used spare parts and thus far most Japanese models have been a bit forgiving with slacking on maintenance.

EDIT : Yes..Shitaro put it the right way..you need to be interested and diligent :) Words that eluded me :)

Thanks @iRage. All my vehicles I treat with utmost care. Even the slightest niggle or noise and I straight away get it checked (eg. my Aqua side mirrors stopped working but an hour later it started working again. This seemed to be an issue with Aquas but eventhough it was working a moment later, I didn't hesitate to get the mirrors checked and serviced and working in proper condition). I do take care of my vehicles, but your mention of parts availability in SL for Jap vs Euro is very much valid.

2 hours ago, iRage said:

you have to do things like reset service reminders and for some you even have to re-calibrate sensors, etc.

really? could you name one European car that needs to do these stupid things at service?

2 hours ago, iRage said:

..however the price pretty much balances out because one service in an Audi at a dealership costs about two services at the Toyota agent.

So far you do not seem to be the type who will be dedicated enough to take care of an European car.  I am discouraging you from an European car because you are not willing to take care of it....

2 hours ago, iRage said:

..and I truly do hope that you don't buy an Audi and later find out my cautionary words were right. The very fact that you are being uncertain in face of all this  and pondering about it shows that you are not ready for an Audi. 

The mechanic friend you trust and will be taking the car to is advising you against the Audi for you...yet you are going against his recommendation. So does he know what he is talking about or not ?

short question my dear friend,have you ever used a European car?

@dilshant80  who is paying for the car,you or your mechanic friend? your mechanic friend knows japanese cars well enough to diagnose and repair the hybrid/gearbox issues of Vezel,xtrail and so on.?To me he just sounds like some frog in a well who is not willing to learn anything new,most mechanics are like that. Audis dont give any issues as many people are saying here,not in the first 3years definitely.they are engineered to cover 1000s of kilometres in one day over continents.

Edited by vag2

"@dilshant80  who is paying for the car,you or your mechanic friend? your mechanic friend knows japanese cars well enough to diagnose and repair the hybrid/gearbox issues of Vezel,xtrail and so on.?To me he just sounds like some frog in a well who is not willing to learn anything new,most mechanics are like that. Audis dont give any issues as many people are saying here,not in the first 3years definitely.they are engineered to cover 1000s of kilometres in one day over continents."

@vag2...Long story short...thanks for proving my point !

Do you really think a person (not @dilshant80per say) who plans to take their Audi to these "frogs" like mechanics (as you put it) for service and maintenance should buy an Audi ?

For the sake of indulging you...lets say something comes up in the 3 to 4 year mark....then what ? Fix it at a proper garage or take a hit and sell it to someone at a lower price ? The fore mentioned type of mechanics will only aggravate the issue until the unsuspecting owner gets turned off by an otherwise good brand.

I never said Audis break (not more than any other Japanese or European car and would), nor did I say that they are not reliable. It will last more than 3 years without issues as long as the little niggles are taken care of properly.  Taking care of properly requires a bit more of investing and diligence than dropping it off at a random garage and hoping to drive it out trouble free.

Why do people always wonder whether I have had Euro cars and get shocked ? Yes !

I know Euro lovers like yourself get rather frustrated because Euro cars get a bad rep whilst the Japanese cars get a good rep that they don't necessarily deserve. But...your judgement here does seem to be a little bit clouded...chill dude :)

Edited by iRage