• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid battery cell voltage drop Issue

Aslam86

Question

I recently purchase a Toyota Aqua 2013 model which has done 62000Km

Couple of days later the 'Check hybrid system' and 'Check Engine' indicators were shown. After taking to Toyota Lanka, I got a system scan done and the error code was P0A80, which is for Replace Hybrid battery pack. They identified the issue to be a voltage drop in one of the battery cell. They recommended to do a battery service, but while removing the battery they found the battery has already been serviced as well.

For the moment I have temporarily got the code deleted. This is temporary and the error will appear again (I got it twice). The recommended solution is to replace the battery pack. Agent price is extremely expensive, but few other places said it would cost around 200,000.

I wanted to know if replacing the problematic cell would be a good option? has anyone done this? if so what are the good places which this can be done.

I spent 4 Million for the car and don't have another 200K at the moment.  Anyone got any solution?

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-28 at 10.13.10 PM.jpeg

14 hours ago, Aslam86 said:

I recently purchase a Toyota Aqua 2013 model which has done 62000Km

Couple of days later the 'Check hybrid system' and 'Check Engine' indicators were shown. After taking to Toyota Lanka, I got a system scan done and the error code was P0A80, which is for Replace Hybrid battery pack. They identified the issue to be a voltage drop in one of the battery cell. They recommended to do a battery service, but while removing the battery they found the battery has already been serviced as well.

For the moment I have temporarily got the code deleted. This is temporary and the error will appear again (I got it twice). The recommended solution is to replace the battery pack. Agent price is extremely expensive, but few other places said it would cost around 200,000.

I wanted to know if replacing the problematic cell would be a good option? has anyone done this? if so what are the good places which this can be done.

I spent 4 Million for the car and don't have another 200K at the moment.  Anyone got any solution?

WhatsApp Image 2017-10-28 at 10.13.10 PM.jpeg

I heard that there is a place around kohuwala area where does cell replacement. And if im correct, per cell they charge 50k.. I can't seems to find the contact details.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kusumsiri said:

Hiding the issue and selling the car is not ethical. That will handover the issue to another person rather solving it. Sad about your situation @Aslam86. Also shame about you @florider

I purchased this car 10 days ago. Seems the previous owner hid this issue and gave me the car. I got this issue two days after I got the car. Im planning to fix this issue than dumping it on someone else.

Only issue is I'm not in a financial position to spend on the new battery pack right now. That's why i'm looking for cheaper options right now.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gayanath said:

Any update?

Have you replaced the cell??

Not yet, error didn't come up after the last reset. most probably it can happen over this weekend as I will be traveling to Kandy.

Still havn't found a good place where cell replacement can be done.

im more lenient toward replacing the battery than the cell.

12 hours ago, florider said:

Recommend you to sell the car , since the prices also will go up after the budget you might be able to get a good price

Hiding the issue and selling the car is not ethical. That will handover the issue to another person rather solving it. Sad about your situation @Aslam86. Also shame about you @florider

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, florider said:

Recommend you to sell the car , since the prices also will go up after the budget you might be able to get a good price

yeah,and dont buy a 2nd hand hybrid again until you can afford a fresh import from Japan. Batteries dying in 3,4 years of usage in Sri Lanka,because of abuse.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ajm said:

yeah,and dont buy a 2nd hand hybrid again until you can afford a fresh import from Japan. Batteries dying in 3,4 years of usage in Sri Lanka,because of abuse.

I was waiting for the prices to come down for the past two years, As it was not happening and I didn't prefer Indian vehicles, I opted for this options. It was a gamble and in my case it didn't pay off.

Can you check if this type of solution is applicable in your case? https://imgur.com/gallery/j8Bcp/

If a reliable mechanic does not recommend cell replacement in your case, I'd just wait till I save up 200k and do the battery replacement. From what I know the car will still drive with this issue, but fuel efficiency may be lower.

• Like 1

If previous owner did not maintain it properly then these kind of issues could occur. Now there are places where they replace cells.

Check with this guy https://www.facebook.com/kaveensautoclinic/

He is  knowledgeable in this area.  

My advice based on person experience (Prius 2n gen using almost 4 years).

Do regular services oil and filter changes from a normal good service place

Do gear oil changes (CVT, etc) before it reach the actual mileage limit for that (because most of vehicle have run more than in the ODO meter ;) ).

Do a scan for hybrid system from a good place/device.

Since Sri Lanka is hot, A/C also helping to cool the battery (There are some vent from inside to battery area). 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2017 at 10:26 PM, florider said:

You sir, are a great example of why we as a country have so many issues.....

• Like 5

On 11/9/2017 at 1:43 AM, Aslam86 said:

I purchased this car 10 days ago. Seems the previous owner hid this issue and gave me the car. I got this issue two days after I got the car. Im planning to fix this issue than dumping it on someone else.

Only issue is I'm not in a financial position to spend on the new battery pack right now. That's why i'm looking for cheaper options right now.

Good on you for not trying to hide it and pass the buck on to some other guy. Did you try calling the Hybrid Hub people? They advertise that they have solutions (I have no personal experience). Worst case scenario you can just drive the car like some have said until you save up the needed funds. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2017 at 1:29 PM, Aslam86 said:

Not yet, error didn't come up after the last reset. most probably it can happen over this weekend as I will be traveling to Kandy.

Still havn't found a good place where cell replacement can be done.

im more lenient toward replacing the battery than the cell.

Any update?

Have you fixed it?

18 hours ago, gayanath said:

Any update?

Have you fixed it?

I scanned the battery again this week after getting the error again over the weekend. A total of 8 cell needs to be replaced. Considering the cost its better to replace battery than replacing cell. Will do in a few months time. until then will be using the car with the error.

1 hour ago, Aslam86 said:

I scanned the battery again this week after getting the error again over the weekend. A total of 8 cell needs to be replaced. Considering the cost its better to replace battery than replacing cell. Will do in a few months time. until then will be using the car with the error.

good decison. Better not go "El-cheapo" like some thel higannas recommend if you plan to keep it for a while.. you never know when another cell will fail and have to take the whole damn thing apart again in a few months under our harsh environmental conditions compared to Japan.But I worry about the impact that driving with a weak battery will have on the surrounding power electronics components. If the battery doesnt deliver the expected current it could make the power electronics circuits(like Inverter) work harder at max load,which could lead to premature failure of also these components.(just basic Electronics,maybe it has some protection mechanisms to reducr power at weak battery)

Edited by ajm