• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

KIA SORENTO 2010-12

chathuu

Hi guys, one of friends looking to buy registered KIA sorento 2010/11 or 12 model and seek my help to find out good vehicle. I go through some valuable threads in this forum regarding this vehicle and found both favorable & adverse comments. Ultimately i assume this is a reliable vehicle for normal drive.

However found some different types of engine capacities such as 2000cc, 2300cc and 2400cc on both petrol & diesel. We were so confused on what to consider. On the other hand diesel varients got a huge price gap around 500k. 

Anyone please give some details what should we consider, fuel consumption and what version has the reasonable resale market as we are not experts in this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chathuu said:

Hi guys, one of friends looking to buy registered KIA sorento 2010/11 or 12 model and seek my help to find out good vehicle. I go through some valuable threads in this forum regarding this vehicle and found both favorable & adverse comments. Ultimately i assume this is a reliable vehicle for normal drive.

However found some different types of engine capacities such as 2000cc, 2300cc and 2400cc on both petrol & diesel. We were so confused on what to consider. On the other hand diesel varients got a huge price gap around 500k. 

Anyone please give some details what should we consider, fuel consumption and what version has the reasonable resale market as we are not experts in this.

There are no "Different types of engine capacities", that is just idiot advertisers not knowing what they are selling. The diesel engines available here were 2200cc and the Petrol engines were 2400 cc, both 4 cylinder. That's it, full stop. Other markets had a 3.5 V6 but I don't think any made it here. 

Obviously the diesels are more expensive because the Sri Lankan market prefers even their SUVs to be cheap to run so whenever there is a diesel option it will have greater resale value. In the case of the Sorento the diesel is also considerably more powerful and has more torque than the petrol so it will be better to drive. On the downside, the Hyundai/Kia CRDI engine is not as tough as an old school Jap diesel and is more like a euro model in that it needs to have been run on super diesel, needs to have the correct oils etc. Even then, you're likely to be looking at an engine rebuild when the vehicle reaches around 180-200k Kilometers. 

Petrols are very thirsty, an AWD model will get around 4-5 KM/L at best in the city and maybe 8-9 outstation. In terms of resale there are LOTS of diesels in the market and far fewer petrols but the diesel should in theory be easier to sell if you get a good one and take care of it properly. 

• Like 6

Just few thoughts to consider as of my experience......

1. Strongly recommend to go for Diesel one.

2. You should be able to find a carefully maintained one with mileage less than 80k - 100k in the market.

3.  Diesel does 10-12 km/l in the city and 14-16 km/l in outstation(real figures).

4. As previously mentioned always needs to pump Super Diesel.

5. Definitely comfortable drive.

6. Go for 1 - 10 option where the re-sale will be easy.

7. For the extra money you pay for Diesel will well worth for the extra power & the fuel savings.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

There are no "Different types of engine capacities", that is just idiot advertisers not knowing what they are selling. The diesel engines available here were 2200cc and the Petrol engines were 2400 cc, both 4 cylinder. That's it, full stop. Other markets had a 3.5 V6 but I don't think any made it here. 

Obviously the diesels are more expensive because the Sri Lankan market prefers even their SUVs to be cheap to run so whenever there is a diesel option it will have greater resale value. In the case of the Sorento the diesel is also considerably more powerful and has more torque than the petrol so it will be better to drive. On the downside, the Hyundai/Kia CRDI engine is not as tough as an old school Jap diesel and is more like a euro model in that it needs to have been run on super diesel, needs to have the correct oils etc. Even then, you're likely to be looking at an engine rebuild when the vehicle reaches around 180-200k Kilometers. 

Petrols are very thirsty, an AWD model will get around 4-5 KM/L at best in the city and maybe 8-9 outstation. In terms of resale there are LOTS of diesels in the market and far fewer petrols but the diesel should in theory be easier to sell if you get a good one and take care of it properly. 

9 hours ago, Don Shan said:

2. You should be able to find a carefully maintained one with mileage less than 80k - 100k in the market.

3.  Diesel does 10-12 km/l in the city and 14-16 km/l in outstation(real figures).

7. For the extra money you pay for Diesel will well worth for the extra power & the fuel savings.

Tnx for sharing your informations. 

One vehicle dealer said me it does around 14kmpl on normal drive. ??

However what it means 1-10 options..?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chathuu said:

Tnx for sharing your informations. 

One vehicle dealer said me it does around 14kmpl on normal drive. ??

However what it means 1-10 options..?

Electric Seat

Leather Seat

Push Start

Sun-roof

Headlight Washers

3rd Row A/C

Reverse Camera on the mirror

Hill-start assist control(HAC)

AWD/7 Seater

Cruise Control/Bluetooth

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Spare part availability is ok, but not great (relative to some Japanese makes), but it's improving. Of course KIA Lanka will have most, if not all the spares you require for these models - but at a premium. Ajantha, Aruna motors in Panchikawatte, Korean auto mart in darley road, korean auto land in malabe, and a few other places in the suburbs stock many of the common parts and you can always get stuff off ebay from a great bunch of Korean OEM shops.

In my first hand experience, 2012 petrol does 6kmpl in city and the 2012 diesel does 10kmpl.
Despite the diesel having more torque, I have had no problem extracting power out of the petrol on normal road conditions. Acceleration and driving at speed (with just the driver in) is much better in the petrol IMO.  Off-road on hilly terrain, there is a bit of an advantage to the diesel but these are not off-road vehicles in general.

• 1 year later...
On 11/8/2017 at 10:07 AM, Don Shan said:

Electric Seat

Leather Seat

Push Start

Sun-roof

Headlight Washers

3rd Row A/C

Reverse Camera on the mirror

Hill-start assist control(HAC)

AWD/7 Seater

Cruise Control/Bluetooth

in case of 1-12 what are the other two options?

On 11/7/2017 at 1:16 PM, Don Shan said:

Apart from the topic I own a 2013 2000cc sportage awd diesel. It does only 7-8 in Colombo. Is it normal? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 12:23 AM, chathuranga.s said:

Apart from the topic I own a 2013 2000cc sportage awd diesel. It does only 7-8 in Colombo. Is it normal? 

I wouldn't say it's entirely normal. I checked with a friend who has a 2014 2000cc diesel and while he usually runs 50km one way at around 12-13kmpl, he also says the city runs net an average of 10kmpl.
Maybe you drive with a heavy foot (like me) or an extremely short distance in stationery traffic?

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys!

Is there a FWD variant of Sorento which is more economical? I am also looking for a Sorento 2012-2013 (simply because of the 7 seater requirement) and got advised by an expert that FWD variant does better in fuel than AWD as the 4x4 component itself is eating out the energy. But to be more realistic, I believe almost all Sorentos in the market are AWDs (advertised). So is there a way of knocking off the AWD option in normal drive?

• 10 months later...
On 11/6/2019 at 9:49 PM, Prasanna86 said:

Hi Guys!

Is there a FWD variant of Sorento which is more economical? I am also looking for a Sorento 2012-2013 (simply because of the 7 seater requirement) and got advised by an expert that FWD variant does better in fuel than AWD as the 4x4 component itself is eating out the energy. But to be more realistic, I believe almost all Sorentos in the market are AWDs (advertised). So is there a way of knocking off the AWD option in normal drive?

I am also looking to buy a Sorento 2012 and prices have been skyrocketted these days. From what I have learned, the AWD option is not always on and it is only button activated. I don't know whether I am fully correct. Others can correct me if I am wrong.