• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Smart key programming? Is it DIY job?

flashmark

Hi,

Anyone have experience in smart key programming for cars? My car smart key is malfunctioning so I called several places/persons and it will cost around Rs 18500. When I checked the ebay there are car key programming units available around 12k (I search for one, which is compatible with my Suzuki Swift 2010).  Can we do it ourselves? If I purchase car key programmer unit, I might able to start part time job to program these smart keys at cheaper price.

What are the risks associated with it? According to youtube videos, key programming is not a difficult task. But reality is that the same?

thanks

• Like 1

Did you try a place like Pet#o ?

But if the difference is only around 6k when you buy a programming unit  dont you think its worthwhile to get it done from a place that has experience in this sort of thing. That way the risk of incompatibility would not be an issue.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 5:07 PM, flashmark said:

Hi,

Anyone have experience in smart key programming for cars? My car smart key is malfunctioning so I called several places/persons and it will cost around Rs 18500. When I checked the ebay there are car key programming units available around 12k (I search for one, which is compatible with my Suzuki Swift 2010).  Can we do it ourselves? If I purchase car key programmer unit, I might able to start part time job to program these smart keys at cheaper price.

What are the risks associated with it? According to youtube videos, key programming is not a difficult task. But reality is that the same?

thanks

This is not a bad idea, but to program the first key it will cost you more than 18500. but you can reuse that key programmer. Only risk i can see is future car models might not be supported by this programing unit (but still you can use it).  actually key is not the one which is programmed. normally a car supports to add 3,4,5 smart keys.

what this programming unit does is just add a new smart key to the car smart key unit.