• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota SUVs

SNJ

Question

What are the toyota suvs available in sri lankan market. Particulary interested in toyota rav4 or fortuner, MID size suvs. How much will it cost 2016 or 2017 model ..unregistered and/or zero milage. What is the status of re sale value for these cars. Appreciate any feed back

Nj

15 answers to this question

3 hours ago, iRage said:

That (Active Torque Control system which is Toyota's Real Time system) applies only to the 3rd (and 4th) generation RAV4s. The 1st gen is different.

Yes. After your detailed explanation I have searched a lot on it. Anyway I found 1st Gen is within my budget with a decent look..Thanks and appreciate very much for the time you have spent to clear my doubts on Rav4 AWD system. 

There were not much RAV4 s imported during last few years because of high import duties along with luxury taxes.

When I was searching  two months back , found two of them up for sale.  They were 2WD, zero milage, imported under permit from AU.

Asking price was 10.1 mil each.

However I have settled for a 2009 one for 5.5 mil

Hope this helps.

Hello SNJ, 

Sri Lanka has got a plethora of Toyota SUVs for sale in the country. Your options would be

1. Toyota CHR

2. Toyota RAV4

3. Toyota Fortuner

4. Toyota Harrier

5. Toyota FJ Cruiser

6. Toyota Landcruiser Prado

7. Toyota Landcruiser 200 aka Sahara

8. Toyota Hilux (Pickup truck SUV)

While most of them are Japanese manufactured, the Fortuner and Hilux are made in Thailand. I guess you could figure out their asking prices either on the classified section of this site or on ######.lk since vehicle prices in Sri Lanka tend to fluctuate a lot.

Cheers.

On 10/29/2017 at 11:03 PM, zeristo said:

3. Toyota Fortuner

5. Toyota FJ Cruiser

6. Toyota Landcruiser Prado

7. Toyota Landcruiser 200 aka Sahara

8. Toyota Hilux (Pickup truck SUV)

In my opinion another thing you might think should be SUV's with Body-on-frame with 4WD will consume lot of fuel even if you select 2WD on day-to-day driving (for part time 4WD).

From this list I think CHR and Rav4 should have a good re-sale value due to comparatively good fuel consumption. I think FWD of those might be a good option right?

KMeeg.

3 hours ago, kmeeg said:

In my opinion another thing you might think should be SUV's with Body-on-frame with 4WD will consume lot of fuel even if you select 2WD on day-to-day driving (for part time 4WD).

From this list I think CHR and Rav4 should have a good re-sale value due to comparatively good fuel consumption. I think FWD of those might be a good option right?

KMeeg.

Not really....the fuel consumption difference in the real world between AWD and FWD are quite minimal....we are looking at like 6 kmpl vs 6.25 (or 6.5 kmpl).

Now...about SUVs....the OP needs to figure out what exactly he means by SUV and what his actual requirements are, not to mention what kind of a budget he has. 

The Harrier, RAV4 and CH-R are cross-over vehicles with a monocoque design (chassis is interated to the actual body). Primarily intended for city use with the capabilities for an occasional light outdoorsy adventure.  The CH-R is a fun littel car (especially love the 1.2 Turbo). However, it is not the most practical of cars and nor should you buy it expecting it to be a proper off-roading SUV. The new Harrier and the new RAV4 share the same platform (thus the reason Toyota killed the RAV4 for the Japanese market...they were both the same car). The Harrier is a more luxurious car than the RAV4 so you get a bit more bells and whistles with the exact same capability. Since the Harrier is a JDM model and you get grey imports both the Harrier and the agent's RAV4 fall somewhere within the same price bracket.

The Fortuner, Prado and LC200 are proper SUVs with a body on frame design (i.e. you have a chassis that is a ladder frame on to which the body is fitted to). they are intended for more rugged off-roading and have 4WD systems that are somewhat aggressive. Like kmeeg said....this might be overkill for someone who is just going to be driving around the city. Also, these vehicles handle a bit more like a whale in the city and actually

Yes..the new RAV4 is quite expensive that it simply isn't worth the money. There is no "new" RAV4 in the Japanese market so your only option is an "export" model from some other market or the agents. 

The Fortuner....I have the previous model and compared to the Prado it feels very...well..less refined. The ride is a bit bouncy and the interior and body panels feel lighter. However, it has simple, no-frills tech. On the other hand the new Fortuner feels a lot more refined and and nicer (but still feels a bit bouncy) and has more complicated tech.

Now...may i ask why you need a "TOYOTA" SUV ? Granted the other Japanese brands don't offer much variety but they do have some decent offerings too. For example the CR-V is quite nice...then the Patrol is in a class of its own....Pajero offers pretty good value for money...Vitara would be the same...then there is the Juke.

Don't get hung up about the Thailand manufactured tag anymore....things have gotten a lot better with QA/QC in these off-shore production plants. Also, quite a few of the models made FOR Japan are now manufactured in Thailand.

• Like 1

Thank you iRage for your detailed explanation. Ofcourse i thought about asking re toyota thru this forum to get a feel of srilankan car market. I am a sri lankan expat.hoping to come back home soon. My first thoughts were honda vezel..i liked its features and of course the price. But then there were many negative reviews written by users. That made me to look for an alternative make. Having a suv ( or crossover) I will not be driving off road as one expect. It will be once in a while affair and mainly city driving. Given the budget of 7 to 10 million, what would be your best suggestion..thks

Hi guys...After a broad search for a crossover SUV..Finally made up my mind to go for a Rav4. Since most of them ridiculously overpriced (being Toyota), I'm planning to go for an older one manufactured before year 2000. I found 2WD, AWD most of the time. But for my surprise yesterday I saw a RAV4 auto transmission manufactured in 1998, The owner claims that it's not AWD but it's real time 4WD.  Does RAV4 came with real time 4WD? i have seen many CRVs with this function but not Rav4. Does anyone know about this?  Thanks

42 minutes ago, AbeysinghE said:

Hi guys...After a broad search for a crossover SUV..Finally made up my mind to go for a Rav4. Since most of them ridiculously overpriced (being Toyota), I'm planning to go for an older one manufactured before year 2000. I found 2WD, AWD most of the time. But for my surprise yesterday I saw a RAV4 auto transmission manufactured in 1998, The owner claims that it's not AWD but it's real time 4WD.  Does RAV4 came with real time 4WD? i have seen many CRVs with this function but not Rav4. Does anyone know about this?  Thanks

I guess this document will help;

http://www.rav4world.com/pdf/2006/2006_4wdsystem.pdf

18 hours ago, AbeysinghE said:

Hey !

To simply answer your question...I think the main issue is a matter of terminology which confuses the heck out of a lot of people

The first gen RAV4 came with an AWD system that splits the power 50:50.

The second gen RAV4 came with an AWD system that splits 60:40.

Simply put the above systems split the power to the wheels all the time in the above ratio (although its a bit more complicated than that).

The 3rd gen came with a real time system. Which means most of the time the car runs as a FWD vehicle and the rear gets power under three scenarios.

Depending on the market the systems came with various add-ons and thresholds.

If you are looking at the first gen RAV4 (whcih personally I find is the most fun to drive), make sure you check for irregular valve noise and any traces of oil leaks on the front facing side of the engine. The engine is mounted at an angel and that starves the higer mounted end of the engine of oil if the oil is not topped up; which leads to other issues

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iRage said:

Hey !

To simply answer your question...I think the main issue is a matter of terminology which confuses the heck out of a lot of people

Simply put the above systems split the power to the wheels all the time in the above ratio (although its a bit more complicated than that).

The 3rd gen came with a real time system. Which means most of the time the car runs as a FWD vehicle and the rear gets power under three scenarios.

If you are looking at the first gen RAV4 (whcih personally I find is the most fun to drive), make sure you check for irregular valve noise and any traces of oil leaks on the front facing side of the engine. The engine is mounted at an angel and that starves the higer mounted end of the engine of oil if the oil is not topped up; which leads to other issues

Thanks a lot mate. Yes you are right and I will look into technical matters you have mentioned once I finalize with a good one. Yes I'm looking for a first gen one which i find within my budget. 

39 minutes ago, AbeysinghE said:

Thanks mate. Read the whole thing which was so helpful in my hunt for a Rav4

That (Active Torque Control system which is Toyota's Real Time system) applies only to the 3rd (and 4th) generation RAV4s. The 1st gen is different.

On 07/02/2018 at 9:25 PM, iRage said:

Hey !

First generation splits the power 50:50 at all times? Doesn't it have a center differential which changes the ratio accordingly?

2 hours ago, Magnum said:

First generation splits the power 50:50 at all times? Doesn't it have a center differential which changes the ratio accordingly?

That is why i said its a bit more complicated in brsckets. The rear split ranges from like 20 to max of 50 %. So rear wheels always get power up to 50% and goes down to 20% is rear slippage is  detected.