• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A car for max. 3.8M

Yma

Question

Car for 3.8M

Concerns

1.fuel efficacy

but I don't drive much. Per day 25km only mostly colombo suburbs,no long trips . So is it a waste going for a hybrid

2. Would like good ground clearance

I considered Hyundai grand i10, picanto,Axia, wagon r fz

Any more good suggestions

Edited by Yma

25 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Yma said:

Car for 3.8M

Concerns

1.fuel efficacy

but I don't drive much. Per day 25km only mostly colombo suburbs,no long trips . So is it a waste going for a hybrid

2. Would like good ground clearance

I considered Hyundai grand i10, picanto,Axia, wagon r fz

Any more good suggestions

I guess you are looking for a brand new car ?

You can check some good options below as you don't consider brand new and the factor of hassle free car.

1. Toyota Vitz 2012/2013

2. Toyota Passo 2014/2015 (I think best option)

3. Toyata Yaris 2011

4. Toyota Belta 2010

Top 2 is very good with fuel.

• Thanks 1

Many thanx. Well, nobody has suggested me a hybrid. Is it bcuz my short distances of driving. 

Can somebody please explain me when to consider hybrid over petrol car.

What general public think is, to buy hybrid if affordable without considering individual needs. 

Lot of ppl suggested me aqua

N I'm thinking of wagon r fz despite its look ,just bcz its petrol efficiency, n again I don't drive much

Thanx again

Edited by Yma

2 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

I vote Grand i10. Drive the others and test drive it last. You will be impressed.

Thanx a lot. That is what my online research tells me too. what we have here  is indian assembled Hyundai n picanto is straight away from korea . Does it matter 

2 hours ago, Yma said:

Thanx a lot. That is what my online research tells me too. what we have here  is indian assembled Hyundai n picanto is straight away from korea . Does it matter 

Well not jsut in Sri Lanka...the i10 is made in India even for South East Asian markets. The i10 and Picanto are the most common taxis here in Vietnam. Ride in i10s quite often and they have 100,000kms ++ on them and still holding up quite well. Don't here any rattles nor do they sit quite well (suspension not sagging, etc..). The Picanto is a bit more comfortable in my view...but for the most part they bth seem the same thing but only different.

Check the safety ratings though...I believe the i10 without airbags, etc have a low safety rating, whilst the Picanto comes with those standard ? (atleast in the SEA region it is so).

Wagon R is not a very exciting drive at all...and with the smaller engine you will feel the lack of power when the car is under load compared to the other three....but for city driving it will be fine and you won't have any issues.

As for the Axia...well..just another thingy....

• Thanks 1

You got a decent budget and it is better to go with Japanese one with good fuel consumption. Hybrids are recommended  for heavy users than mean millage vise. If you drive 2000/3000km per  month surely Hybrid will be a good offer. But some one who drive less than 1000km per month normal vehicle is recommended. In hybrids you may have to face some battery related issues in long time use. They may be expensive and hybrid and electrical vehicle price reduction against age is higher than normal jap.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Well not jsut in Sri Lanka...the i10 is made in India even for South East Asian markets. The i10 and Picanto are the most common taxis here in Vietnam. Ride in i10s quite often and they have 100,000kms ++ on them and still holding up quite well. Don't here any rattles nor do they sit quite well (suspension not sagging, etc..). The Picanto is a bit more comfortable in my view...but for the most part they bth seem the same thing but only different.

Check the safety ratings though...I believe the i10 without airbags, etc have a low safety rating, whilst the Picanto comes with those standard ? (atleast in the SEA region it is so).

Wagon R is not a very exciting drive at all...and with the smaller engine you will feel the lack of power when the car is under load compared to the other three....but for city driving it will be fine and you won't have any issues.

As for the Axia...well..just another thingy....

Thanx a lot. Very informative.

1 hour ago, Xtreme Auto said:

You got a decent budget and it is better to go with Japanese one with good fuel consumption. Hybrids are recommended  for heavy users than mean millage vise. If you drive 2000/3000km per  month surely Hybrid will be a good offer. But some one who drive less than 1000km per month normal vehicle is recommended. In hybrids you may have to face some battery related issues in long time use. They may be expensive and hybrid and electrical vehicle price reduction against age is higher than normal jap.

Many thanx. This explanation is very helpful. I'll consider your suggestion too.

1 hour ago, Yma said:

Please give me some insight to select one from grand i10 n toyota vitz

(1000cc petrol hatchback)

Wait a little, if the Toyota vitz 990 cc price drops significantly, surely the Hyundai have to consider decrease the price of i10 if they want to exist in the market and same with Picanto:rolleyes:

Edited by waka
  • Like 1

Thank you very much waka.
From d performance n reliability point of view also I need some enlightenment
Don't our vehicle import companies suppose to show us( A*W, KIA, Hyundai...) how d final price appears
( vehicle value+ tax+ service charges)
A*W REFUSED

2 hours ago, Yma said:

Thank you very much waka.
From d performance n reliability point of view also I need some enlightenment
Don't our vehicle import companies suppose to show us( A*W, KIA, Hyundai...) how d final price appears
( vehicle value+ tax+ service charges)
A*W REFUSED

Of course they dont

When you buy a tv does the seller show you the CIF of the tv + taxes and their markup ?

4 hours ago, Yma said:

Please give me some insight to select one from grand i10 n toyota vitz

(1000cc petrol hatchback)

Given between the i10 and the Vitz..I would go for the Vitz. The Vitz is actually nice nimble little car (albeit it has the typical Toyota overly light steering...) but still fun. Not that there is anything wrong with the i10...but I beleive the new Vitz as more safety features and stuff packed in as standard. May I also suggest the new Swift ? Apparently the 1.0L Turbo charged variant (RSt) are around your budget after the new taxes. The Swift RSt is not as exciting as the Sports but still a fun little car. Also you get a new design as opposed to the Vitz's old, washed and ironed and recycled styling (the current design of the Vitz has been around for ages and a new one is supposed to come out only around 2019).

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, The Stig said:

Of course they dont

When you buy a tv does the seller show you the CIF of the tv + taxes and their markup ?

True. Please bare with me if you don't agree. 

In things which r cheap its ok. Their cut also small. (In a ideal world, where everything is fair sellers will tell)

In sri Lanka even for small car we pay hell of a tax. Our wages r small.( I don't blame for that) 

As a customer don't we have that right, having to spend that of much money for a car 

33 minutes ago, iRage said:

Given between the i10 and the Vitz..I would go for the Vitz. The Vitz is actually nice nimble little car (albeit it has the typical Toyota overly light steering...) but still fun. Not that there is anything wrong with the i10...but I beleive the new Vitz as more safety features and stuff packed in as standard. May I also suggest the new Swift ? Apparently the 1.0L Turbo charged variant (RSt) are around your budget after the new taxes. The Swift RSt is not as exciting as the Sports but still a fun little car. Also you get a new design as opposed to the Vitz's old, washed and ironed and recycled styling (the current design of the Vitz has been around for ages and a new one is supposed to come out only around 2019).

Thank you sir. 

14 minutes ago, Yma said:

True. Please bare with me if you don't agree. 

In things which r cheap its ok. Their cut also small. (In a ideal world, where everything is fair sellers will tell)

In sri Lanka even for small car we pay hell of a tax. Our wages r small.( I don't blame for that) 

As a customer don't we have that right, having to spend that of much money for a car 

Okay forget TVs, people buy lands for millions from property developers. Do they show the price they bought the land for and their final markup ?

What im saying is that your argument makes no sense and even if they did show you what their markup actual tax amount is what exactly would you do ? Not buy the car ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Stig said:

Okay forget TVs, people buy lands for millions from property developers. Do they show the price they bought the land for and their final markup ?

What im saying is that your argument makes no sense and even if they did show you what their markup actual tax amount is what exactly would you do ? Not buy the car ? 

I'll consider importing

2 hours ago, Yma said:

I'll consider importing

Well....you are looking at this in a very simplistic way....now...for the heck of it...lets say you are looking at buying a Japanese car made for the Japanese market...obviously your direct import after paying all taxes, etc..will be a bit cheaper than buying the same car at a local dealer over here. After all...the car sales do need to make money. 

The dynamic changes a little bit with when it comes to brand new imports through the agents....they at the end of the day do have to account for the warranty service and risk they will be taking; plus there might be additional services they offer. No the agent's warranty is not the same as those third party warranties like Sterling, etc..that the grey importers give. So obviously their prices are going to be higher.

So no matter which way you go your direct import is a bit cheaper..the question is how much is the risk and additional work involved worth to you ? 

9 hours ago, Yma said:

Thanks again for d guidance. This is my very first car . What is the safest n convenient way to buy a vitz ?

Well...like i said....don't jump in to a Vitz..I am telling you to go check out the Suzuki Swift RSt as well (and I am a Toyota-guy). You should go check out the RSt especially if you are planning on buying a 1L Vitz..

Shop around...get on the usual FB car enthusiast page or over here and ask people for recommendations for reliable and reputed importers.

Insist on a comprehensive check done by a third party (even if they say its a zero mileage car). You can get it done at a car check-ing place or even at the agents. Reputed car salesmen will have no objections to that (sometimes you might have to pay for the test...but it is worth it). the dodgy ones might not be too happy about it. However, please no that there are a few cases where the importers themselves might not know the actual condition of the car.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1