• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Upgrade head light to adjustable

Niroshan_AM

Question

My 2008 allion 260 does not come with adjustable head lights. Is it possible to upgrade it to adjustable by replacing two headlights and installing the light adjuster switch?

If it is possible please suggest me a good place to do it.

One of my head lights is burnt. So i thought replacing both lights together.

I assume you are referring to headlight height adjust switch/lever on the dashboard.

I'm not familiar with Allion, but in Hiace the ones with auto headlight height adjusting feature don't have that switch. Neither you can do adjustments on the housing.

Before you mess with your headlights you might want to check if your car has auto headlight height adjustment.

12 hours ago, aamarakoon said:

Should be possible, but is it worth it? For the burnt bulb you don't have to replace the head lamp assembly, just the bulb.

I tend to agree, i have never used this feature in any of the vehicles that were equipped with this feature.

Thank you for all the responses guys..☺

I dont know if it comes with auto adjustment. However the light adjustment screws are there.

How to find if it is equipped with auto adjustment?

Wiring is not available. To do this new wiring is reqired.

Since i live in hilly area sometimes i wish if i have this feature.

I know this gonna cost me some bucks...but still i want to consider it. 

Do you think is it possible?

Edited by Niroshan_AM

56 minutes ago, Niroshan_AM said:

Thank you for all the responses guys..☺

I dont know if it comes with auto adjustment. However the light adjustment screws are there.

How to find if it is equipped with auto adjustment?

Wiring is not available. To do this new wiring is reqired.

Since i live in hilly area sometimes i wish if i have this feature.

I know this gonna cost me some bucks...but still i want to consider it. 

Do you think is it possible?

You will hear a noise for few seconds when you turn on the headlight, sort of like a buzzing noise.

Btw why do you need this feature in hilly area? It's not used for driving with your light beam pointed upwards but instead for lowering the beam when the front of the vehicle raises up when you have load in boot

7 hours ago, Magnum said:

Was auto height adjustment available as well? Such as in the cars with HID headlights?

Nope no Auto Adjustments, this came with Halogens. there was switch with scroll wheel where you can adjust the Height.

7 hours ago, Magnum said:

Was auto height adjustment available as well? Such as in the cars with HID headlights?

The cars with HID lights do not have manual headlight adjuster. My axio has HIDs and I hear that buzzing noise when I switch on them. I think it's the automatic adjuster.

5 hours ago, Ruslan said:

Nope no Auto Adjustments, this came with Halogens. there was switch with scroll wheel where you can adjust the Height.

4 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

The cars with HID lights do not have manual headlight adjuster. My axio has HIDs and I hear that buzzing noise when I switch on them. I think it's the automatic adjuster.

In the Hiace also the automic headlight adjustment came only in the HID equipped vans. However one of my friend has a van that has HID and manual adjustment. That's how it came from Japan.

3 hours ago, Niroshan_AM said:

I didnt hear any sound when turning on the lights may be due to the engine noise.

How does this automatic lights work?

Does it have a g sensor for alignment of the car or a load sensor for the rear wheels?

You need to put your face near the headlight after turning it on. :D

I'm not kidding, you won't be able to hear from inside the vehicle.

To be honest I have no idea how it work.

5 hours ago, Magnum said:

In the Hiace also the automic headlight adjustment came only in the HID equipped vans. However one of my friend has a van that has HID and manual adjustment. That's how it came from Japan.

You need to put your face near the headlight after turning it on. :D

I'm not kidding, you won't be able to hear from inside the vehicle.

To be honest I have no idea how it work.

Do you mean the Hiace with HID bulbs in reflector type headlight?

Yes, they have the manual headlight adjuster. The ones with HID projector type headlight does have automatic adjuster.

The axio with reflector type headlight has the manual adjuster.

I think i dont have auto adjustable lights. as @asrock said. No sounds coming from the lights. Also checked with added load on the boot. Light level raises up with the body of the car instead of adjusting. ???

So i guess my allion doesnot have auto adjust or manual adjust.

Back to my orginal case..one of my headlights (reflector type hid) is not working. Local electrician changed the bulb but it didnot work. He said the problem is with the blaster. so he suggested to replace the whole headlight. Thats why I thought to replace both lights with adjustable option.

I think i dont have auto adjustable lights. as [mention=67562]asrock[/mention] said. No sounds coming from the lights. Also checked with added load on the boot. Light level raises up with the body of the car instead of adjusting. [emoji53][emoji53][emoji53]
Back to my orginal case..one of my headlights (reflector type hid) is not working. Local electrician changed the bulb but it didnot work. He said the problem is with the blaster. so he suggested to replace the whole headlight. Thats why I thought to replace both lights with adjustable option.

"ballast"

LOL can you please name this electricians so we can all stay away?

You can buy oem ballasts off eBay, I think yours should be denso units. you can even fit better aftermarket hid + ballast for lesser than the cost of replacing an entire headlights.

3 hours ago, Niroshan_AM said:

I think i dont have auto adjustable lights. as @asrock said. No sounds coming from the lights. Also checked with added load on the boot. Light level raises up with the body of the car instead of adjusting. ???

You don't need to change the full headlight 

As mentioned by Stig you can get a ballast only

260 came with Denso ballasts if I'm not wrong. 

You can get a used one at spare parts shops for like 5k

Even the Hiace ballast would be compatible as well which is made by Koito for D4R/D4S bulbs.

I see some discussion about HID's along with the auto height adjust headlights. Well with my past experience I would not recommend putting HID's on a halogen housing, reason being

1. I was never able to focus the headlights (minimize light scattering every where) - I went 2 times to Na**ka Ali***ment Center (they had a headlight adjuster device).  

2. I notices the reflector was some what faded near the bulb. My guess is due to high heat. (They were Philips HID Kit)

If you really looking for upgrade (not my personal experience just research online)

1. I've came across high luminance halogens with same wattage (not 100w ones).

• Eg - Philips xtreme vision

2. After market LEDs are also a hot topic now right? Seems easier to fix, some with minor effort like drilling a hole in rubber seal at the back.

• I see discussions about different models with fans and some with heat sinks also led's with regulators to reduce flickering, etc..

-- For Auto height adjust, just a thought. Is this really needed. I would feel safe not to mess with it. Just imagine if the after market height adjuster fails and your light points too low or too high thats again going to cost you for repair and may be switching back to original housing right.

On 11/2/2017 at 9:49 PM, kmeeg said:

I see some discussion about HID's along with the auto height adjust headlights. Well with my past experience I would not recommend putting HID's on a halogen housing, reason being

1. I was never able to focus the headlights (minimize light scattering every where) - I went 2 times to Na**ka Ali***ment Center (they had a headlight adjuster device).  

2. I notices the reflector was some what faded near the bulb. My guess is due to high heat. (They were Philips HID Kit)

If you really looking for upgrade (not my personal experience just research online)

1. I've came across high luminance halogens with same wattage (not 100w ones).

• Eg - Philips xtreme vision

2. After market LEDs are also a hot topic now right? Seems easier to fix, some with minor effort like drilling a hole in rubber seal at the back.

• I see discussions about different models with fans and some with heat sinks also led's with regulators to reduce flickering, etc..

-- For Auto height adjust, just a thought. Is this really needed. I would feel safe not to mess with it. Just imagine if the after market height adjuster fails and your light points too low or too high thats again going to cost you for repair and may be switching back to original housing right.

We have gone into length on the same topic.

But to sum it up you can use HIDs on non projector headlight housings as long as HIDs came as an option from the factory, example in the case of the premio.

There are 2 types of HID bulbs, D2S and D2R. D2S bulbs are designed for projectors and this is the one thats most commonly available. The reason why you cant focus the light is because xenon bulbs are longer and discharge point is further away from the reflector than in normal halogens.

Halogen-versus-HID.jpg

You cant adjust a bulb thats just not designed for your headlights. Moving onto D2R hids, these are designed to be specifically used in reflector housings and they have a coating on the the bulb which prevents glare.

d2r-std.jpg

I have also fitted an LED h4 kit to my non projector headlights and so far they are pretty good. light output is better than osram night breakers, but is not upto HID levels of output. There is minimum glare cause my one also has a shield.

HTB1Mo5sOVXXXXXDXVXXq6xXFXXXO.jpg

But aftermarket LEDs cannot still match the light output of HIDs yet.

31 minutes ago, The Stig said:

We have gone into length on the same topic.

But to sum it up you can use HIDs on non projector headlight housings as long as HIDs came as an option from the factory, example in the case of the premio.

There are 2 types of HID bulbs, D2S and D2R. D2S bulbs are designed for projectors and this is the one thats most commonly available. The reason why you cant focus the light is because xenon bulbs are longer and discharge point is further away from the reflector than in normal halogens.

Halogen-versus-HID.jpg

You cant adjust a bulb thats just not designed for your headlights. Moving onto D2R hids, these are designed to be specifically used in reflector housings and they have a coating on the the bulb which prevents glare.

d2r-std.jpg

I have also fitted an LED h4 kit to my non projector headlights and so far they are pretty good. light output is better than osram night breakers, but is not upto HID levels of output. There is minimum glare cause my one also has a shield.

HTB1Mo5sOVXXXXXDXVXXq6xXFXXXO.jpg

But aftermarket LEDs cannot still match the light output of HIDs yet.

My Hiace has OEM HID for low beam using reflectors. It uses D4R bulbs, I think D2R isn't used anymore as it has has some dangerous stuff in it which could be harmful in case a pedestrian gets exposed to it during an accident.

Also D4R/D4S bulbs require a different ballast.

What kind of LED are you using?

How's the throw of the light? Does it travel far enough to be used as high beam?

Edited by Magnum

21 hours ago, Magnum said:

My Hiace has OEM HID for low beam using reflectors. It uses D4R bulbs, I think D2R isn't used anymore as it has has some dangerous stuff in it which could be harmful in case a pedestrian gets exposed to it during an accident.

Also D4R/D4S bulbs require a different ballast.

What kind of LED are you using?

How's the throw of the light? Does it travel far enough to be used as high beam?

Im using this, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Super-Bright-H4-HB2-Hi-Lo-Beam-P7-Led-Car-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-Fog-Lamp-Bulb/32659540601.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.q1Goh7

The price has dropped drastically, it was at about $45 when i bought it.

I bought this particular one because you can adjust the focus and angle on this one as shown in the picture shown above. I hear lights with Philips lumileds perform better but they are touching the $80-90 mark and i wanted to try a normal one first.

The low beam is pretty good to the point that you rarely need to use high beams, but the high beams scatter a little bit so i dont use it much. There is a slight glare but not as bad as fitting hids.

11 hours ago, The Stig said:

Im using this, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Super-Bright-H4-HB2-Hi-Lo-Beam-P7-Led-Car-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-Fog-Lamp-Bulb/32659540601.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.q1Goh7

The price has dropped drastically, it was at about $45 when i bought it.

I bought this particular one because you can adjust the focus and angle on this one as shown in the picture shown above. I hear lights with Philips lumileds perform better but they are touching the $80-90 mark and i wanted to try a normal one first.

The low beam is pretty good to the point that you rarely need to use high beams, but the high beams scatter a little bit so i dont use it much. There is a slight glare but not as bad as fitting hids.

2 years back before I got NBU for high beam I was considering LED but I stayed away from them mainly because I heard the light beam doesn't travel far. I guess they have improved since then. Would you say the color is white or blueish white?

And these seem to be better than what you regularly find at accessory shops.

10 hours ago, Magnum said:

2 years back before I got NBU for high beam I was considering LED but I stayed away from them mainly because I heard the light beam doesn't travel far. I guess they have improved since then. Would you say the color is white or blueish white?

And these seem to be better than what you regularly find at accessory shops.

I have lumiled H4s on my 2006 Vios. Compared to Halogens, its much better. But cant compared them with HIDs. You can adjust the angle of the bulb as well. No stray beams and this does not give glare to oncoming drivers. Will post a photo when time permits.