• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

"Honda Civic 2017 (Gen X) 1.5L Turbo"

Amilapk

Guys what is your opinion about Honda civic 2017 1.5l turbo sedan.

Looks great with a lot of options and very good fuel economy.

I'm worried about these 

1. Made in Thailand

2. Very few cars seen in our country

(2nd hand market value and availability of spares)

I'll be getting my permit next December. Thought to buy the civic 2017. Agents claim 6.5 million for permit. Premio will be 5 million. 

What you guys think. Is it worth spending extra 1.5 million for a civic over very very common premio, with above questions in mind.

At the moment I have Toyota Prius 2014.

Edited by Amilapk

well basically its a smaller 3 cylinder cousin of the 4 cyl 300+PS  2015 Type-R, with engine technology from Germany. In the beginning they had some issues with the Mitsubishi Turbo under extreme conditions,but should not be an issue if you dont plan to give the pedal to the metal too often. but if you put 2nd hand price over the youth-image and riding pleasure, get a Premio or Prius. is it a manual?

Edited by ajm

3 hours ago, ajm said:

well basically its a smaller 3 cylinder cousin of the 4 cyl 300+PS  2015 Type-R, with engine technology from Germany. In the beginning they had some issues with the Mitsubishi Turbo under extreme conditions,but should not be an issue if you dont plan to give the pedal to the metal too often. but if you put 2nd hand price over the youth-image and riding pleasure, get a Premio or Prius. is it a manual?

Thank you for your advice. By the way, I prefer an automatic.

4 hours ago, ajm said:

1.5L Turbo is 4cyl, 1.0L turbo is 3cyl. If the car is imported from UK it may be manufactured there.

Agents will be getting down 1.5L turbo soon, will be from Thailand though.

Even on the so called cars manufactured in Japan they are only assembled there with most of the parts outsourced from Thailand, China etc.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kush said:

1.5L Turbo is 4cyl, 1.0L turbo is 3cyl. If the car is imported from UK it may be manufactured there.

Agents will be getting down 1.5L turbo soon, will be from Thailand though.

Even on the so called cars manufactured in Japan they are only assembled there with most of the parts outsourced from Thailand, China etc.

They don't make Civic's in Japan anymore

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quiet said:

what about the CRV is it from Japan (Agents one i mean) im thinking of buying one

Nope that is from Thailand too. The new CRV will be launched in Japan in a few months and that is going to be imported to Japan from Thailand.

Also, the new one will come with a 1.5L Turbo variant, a Hybrid later on and a 2.4L depending on the market.

• Like 1

It seems Honda recently closed their oldest lead factory in Saitama, Japan.

http://www.google.de/url?q=https://www.reuters.com/article/us-honda-strategy/honda-to-cut-japanese-production-by-a-quarter-as-domestic-sales-stagnate-idUSKCN1C90N3&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjYyJqG_-XWAhVM7xQKHTPbA2sQFggSMAM&usg=AOvVaw1c9S5iU5rHgi8hXp76--g9

with the fast changes in the auto industry worldwide, it would be difficult for small Japanese carmakers to survive without forming alliances with others to share the costs of new development and production line changes.

Edited by vag2
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Guys re-opening this topic as I am considering getting a honda civic 1.0 turbo as a daily drive. The Ex trim is loaded to the hilt and the reviews online for the 3 cylinder motor are positive saying its reasonably refined and has decent performance. 

Anyone owns one?  How is the fuel economy seeing that it will be doing the rush hour school runs daily.  Car sales guys say anything from 10-15 km/l. How is the ride on local roads with the 17 inch wheels and adaptive suspension?

I could go on and on about the new civic
To make things short
Dont be fooled its considered a hatchbach athough it has a slightly pointy tail
Its not cheap its a 1liter and there are many audis and other european cars too at its price point of close to 7million.
Its not exactly well built altough the things upfront are of quality it seems that they have the hidden bits a lot less attended
Not perticularly loaded for that price point without autobreak hill keep assist and auto parking
NOT made in japan its made in england the land where the parts fall apart probably not the best for the hot climate in sri lanka.
It may be smooth for a 1L 3pot but not as smooth as a 4pot
And its highly doubtful how this big bodied 1L will fare in long term
Its not a disposable item in sri lanka.

After all honda civic sedans were going for the 4mill range few years ago so what happened.
Still i think the FD1 was much better specialy with a 1.8 and it was a proper sedan

If i had that amount of money to dump on a car Id try to go for a audi a3 or q2 (may be slightly higher priced) a CHR
If its not essential to be brand new audi a4 and a lot comes to mind.

Its impulsive to buy because its 1L so it was so called reduced by the budget but if the same car was the same price from the begining would you buy it.
And its a new car so when more used cars come to the market from england the price will reduce.

Edited by Clark'sson

clarks'son- thanks. Prefer brand new at the moment- I know an Audi A4 or BMW E60 would be great- but just not at that phase in life where I have the time or the energy to really hunt or care for a good used Euro.

Will do a bit more research- met someone over the weekend who has the car and he said it does about 10 km/l which is fine. 3 cylinder doesn't sound so rough at idle and when you give it beans it actually sounds quite lively and delivers a spirited driving experience - steering is not as good as Mazda3 but very easy to drive and crisp handling.

As you said durability of Made in England in the 3 pot in Sri Lankan conditions is questionable- but I don't plan on using it for more than 3-4 years so not really worried.

Bigger concern - is that this car will become another Vezel and be more common than tuk tuks- because there does seem to be a big demand for the car right now.

3 hours ago, RWD said:

Bigger concern - is that this car will become another Vezel and be more common than tuk tuks- because there does seem to be a big demand for the car right now.

Yep, this is the next Vezel

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Congrats Amilapk. 

I have also ordered a 2018 1.5 liter turbo Civic March production from the agents.

Awaiting delivery end April. 

2018_honda_civic_sedan_touring_f_oem_1_815_1.jpg

Edited by Harry (aq)

1 hour ago, Harry (aq) said:

Congrats Amilapk. 

I have also ordered a 2018 1.5 liter turbo Civic March production from the agents.

Good. Nice to hear atleast a few civics will be here in Sri Lanka. So there won't be problems in spares.

4 hours ago, Amilapk said:

Good. Nice to hear atleast a few civics will be here in Sri Lanka. So there won't be problems in spares.

I don't think you'll need to worry about that, at this rate the Civic will be as common as vezels and axios very soon. 

6 hours ago, Harry (aq) said:

Congrats Amilapk. 

Its nice to hear people are bringing down the 1.5L proper sedan civics from japan rather than the 1.0L hatchbacks from UK

7 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

Its nice to hear people are bringing down the 1.5L proper sedan civics from japan rather than the 1.0L hatchbacks from UK

Haha,just proper sedan,not proper Civic. don't forget the 1.5L is far from the PROPER CIVIC you are talking about. It can come nowhere near to the REAL 2.0L 300+HP Type-R Civic Hatchback which is made ONLY in the UK and exported even to Japan.

Edited by vag2

14 hours ago, vag2 said:

Haha,just proper sedan,not proper Civic. don't forget the 1.5L is far from the PROPER CIVIC you are talking about. It can come nowhere near to the REAL 2.0L 300+HP Type-R Civic Hatchback which is made ONLY in the UK and exported even to Japan.

Yes you are correct. But I'm not a fan of hatchback. But I think1.5L sedan is much better than 1L 3 pot UK hatchback.

And 2.0L is not affordable for me.

Edited by Amilapk
  • Like 1

On 06/04/2018 at 9:47 PM, vag2 said:

Yes the typeR is the best of the lot but its not just a plain old civic they put it up seperately as the type R. So out of the normal civics the 1.5 is much better saw one on the road today now it looked great not too show offy like the hatchback

9 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

Yes the typeR is the best of the lot but its not just a plain old civic they put it up seperately as the type R.

the lead Engine of this generation Civic is the Type-R,it's a complete new Engine development with Direct injection instead of Port Fuel,Turbocharging etc. Others below that are just population variants. True ,the sedan 1.5L is more practical,but those thinking its the best new Civic are misinformed:lol:

• Like 1