• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

CV joint life time

25 minutes ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

My car is Honda city type z 2001. My CVs are making noise when turning for a while. It means that they have worn out.

Can they be fixed by using grease and new boots? 

How long I can run with this condition? Is there a possibity to break the joints while running?

You cant fix it with a new boot if you already get the "tak tak" noise.

Well this will be your fate if you ignore it

What is the condition of the c.v. boots now? Are they broken? if so, they must be replaced with new grease immediately to avoid wear on the joints.

I'd measure their lifetime on the distace travelled without grease with broken boots. - the higher distance run without lubrication, the lower the lifetime of the joint.

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

3 hours ago, The Stig said:

You cant fix it with a new boot if you already get the "tak tak" noise.

Well this will be your fate if you ignore it

Both of those videos are broken ball joints though. A fully worn out and disconnected CV joint will not necessarily cause the wheels to come off like that. It will just stop sending drive to the respective wheel. 

Sort of like this:

@ThushanthaSrimal, ignoring any sort of issue isn't a good thing. So just get it sorted without risking being stranded somewhere in the middle of the night. If you're unable to dish out cash for a brand new CV joint, look into the possibility of using a recon drive shaft. 

On 10/7/2017 at 8:30 AM, ThushanthaSrimal said:

My car is Honda city type z 2001. My CVs are making noise when turning for a while. It means that they have worn out.

Can they be fixed by using grease and new boots? 

How long can I run with this condition? Is there a possibity of breaking the joints while running?

With regards to Life Time of a CV Joint, there are evidences that it can last  probably the life time of the car (say 25 years or more), if the owner does correct maintenance of the same.

i e. Replacing the Boot (ensure the correct boot) before breaking at definite intervals, Re-grease the joint on time , Fitting the Boot/Joint in correct  manner  (against Maka Bas) etc. 

That is not valid for most of the after market  Boots & CV Joints in the local market, which are low in quality . The use of OEM/Genuine parts are obvious,