• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Difference Between Suzuki S Enecharge & Suzuki Hybrid ?

gayankap

hi , we are going to buy a suzuki spacia custom 2017 (new shell) or a suzuki wagon r stingray 2017 (new shell) but we have a problem choosing one between them cuz the spacia logo shows as s enecharge which from the sellers point of view is a semi hybrid and the new wagon r stingray shows a logo called hybrid which from the sellers knowledge is a full hybrid. both vehicles got 650cc engines. whats the difference between those two technologies ? and which is the better vehicle to choose ? thank you.

Okay...so Suzuki's SHVS (Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki) now has two Hybrid systems. A Full Hybrid system (which is still available only in the Solio and Swift) and a Mild Hybrid System. The full Hybrid system has a dark blue badge with silver lettering on a black background and the Mild Hybrid has a light blue badge with blue lettering on a silver background. For now Suzuki's ideology is that a mild hybrid system is best suited for kei cars (cars with 660cc engines). Therefore, the full Hybrid system is reserved for larger cars like the Swift, etc...

The Wagon R comes with the Mild Hybrid system. The Mild Hybrid system is pretty much the next generation of the S-ene charge. Thus, all the "new" kei cars come with the new Mild hybrid system and is badged as "Hybrid" as I described above. The Spacia, still being the model released in 2013 comes with the older version of the mild Hybrid, i.e. S-ene charge. A new Spacia is supposed to be launched around the time of the Tokyo Motorshow and that will have the new mild Hybrid system instead of S-ene charge.

So to answer your question...the Wagon R and the Spacia are both mild hybrids. Its just that the system in the Wagon R is supposedly more efficient as the thresholds on how and when it assists the engine and how much it can run in a "EV"ish mode has changed.

As for which car you should be buying...only you can answer that. The Spacia is roomier than the Wagon R, so a bit more comfortable and convenient. Personally I find the seats of the Spacia a lot more comfortable. Also, the Spacia is a bit heavier than the Wagon R so its a bit more smoother on the road. However, the extra weight and the tall body has its down sides. Being heavier it might be a bit sluggish when under load and being tall you might have some body roll which would make it a bit less zippier than the Wagon R.

Still...considering family comfort and all other things being equal, I personally would go for the Spacia.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iRage said:

Okay...so Suzuki's SHVS (Smart Hybrid Vehicle by Suzuki) now has two Hybrid systems. A Full Hybrid system (which is still available only in the Solio and Swift) and a Mild Hybrid System. The full Hybrid system has a dark blue badge with silver lettering on a black background and the Mild Hybrid has a light blue badge with blue lettering on a silver background. For now Suzuki's ideology is that a mild hybrid system is best suited for kei cars (cars with 660cc engines). Therefore, the full Hybrid system is reserved for larger cars like the Swift, etc...

The Wagon R comes with the Mild Hybrid system. The Mild Hybrid system is pretty much the next generation of the S-ene charge. Thus, all the "new" kei cars come with the new Mild hybrid system and is badged as "Hybrid" as I described above. The Spacia, still being the model released in 2013 comes with the older version of the mild Hybrid, i.e. S-ene charge. A new Spacia is supposed to be launched around the time of the Tokyo Motorshow and that will have the new mild Hybrid system instead of S-ene charge.

So to answer your question...the Wagon R and the Spacia are both mild hybrids. Its just that the system in the Wagon R is supposedly more efficient as the thresholds on how and when it assists the engine and how much it can run in a "EV"ish mode has changed.

As for which car you should be buying...only you can answer that. The Spacia is roomier than the Wagon R, so a bit more comfortable and convenient. Personally I find the seats of the Spacia a lot more comfortable. Also, the Spacia is a bit heavier than the Wagon R so its a bit more smoother on the road. However, the extra weight and the tall body has its down sides. Being heavier it might be a bit sluggish when under load and being tall you might have some body roll which would make it a bit less zippier than the Wagon R.

Still...considering family comfort and all other things being equal, I personally would go for the Spacia.

thank you very much for the quick response sir , so ill go with the wagon r stingray 2017 however the brand new shell of 2017 spacia custom is much more unique looking / one more question is a 650 - 660 cc engine enough for either of these vehicles ? i got into both vehicles and as u have mentioned the new spacia feels much more comfortable than the stingray ... 

2 hours ago, gayankap said:

thank you very much for the quick response sir , so ill go with the wagon r stingray 2017 however the brand new shell of 2017 spacia custom is much more unique looking / one more question is a 650 - 660 cc engine enough for either of these vehicles ? i got into both vehicles and as u have mentioned the new spacia feels much more comfortable than the stingray ... 

These are kei cars. They are specifically for city driving. For city driving it works well. On a highway you have to press the car hard but it will happily move. However, with a heavy load and going up hills and stuff its going to be somewhat hard. 

Now...if I buy a kei car (Wagon R or Spacia) I will be buying it for city driving and slow leasuirely cruises outstation. I wouldn't expect to be driving really hard and fast. So for that my main priority would be comfort, and where that is concerned the Spacia wins.

The Spacia I beleive is about 100-120kg heavier than the Wagon R so it will be a bit more sluggish than the Wagon R. However, I doubt you will feel it that much in city drives.

Like I said there is a new generation Spacia coming out soon. I don't think it has been released yet. That should have the new mild hybrid system. Perhaps you should wait a little while instead of buying a car right now ? With new models coming and rumors about tax changes with the budget might work towards your advantage if you do. 

Okay....so that is a Spacia Custom Z. There are 4 Spacia types. Spacia, Spacia "Something" Limted, Spacia Custom and Spacia Custom Z.

The Custom Z was released late last year and went on sale early this year. It is still based on the K40 platform which is getting replaced with the new Spacia.

The Custom Z is actually nearly 200kg heavier than the wagon R.

Still comfier than the Wagon R but won't be as nimble as the Wagon R. So if you want a comfy city daily runner and a not so quick highway and outstation hill climber then go for the Spacia. If you want a not so comfy city daily runner and a not so quick highway and outstation hill climber then go for the Wagon R.

HOWEVER....the one you are looking at..is it a Turbo charged one ? If it a Turbo charged one it will be quite fun to drive as well as those things have a fun little amount of torque. Still won't be as quick as a Prius or Aqua in outstation but will be a lot better than the standard wagon R or Spacia.

34 minutes ago, iRage said:

Okay....so that is a Spacia Custom Z. There are 4 Spacia types. Spacia, Spacia "Something" Limted, Spacia Custom and Spacia Custom Z.

The Custom Z was released late last year and went on sale early this year. It is still based on the K40 platform which is getting replaced with the new Spacia.

The Custom Z is actually nearly 200kg heavier than the wagon R.

Still comfier than the Wagon R but won't be as nimble as the Wagon R. So if you want a comfy city daily runner and a not so quick highway and outstation hill climber then go for the Spacia. If you want a not so comfy city daily runner and a not so quick highway and outstation hill climber then go for the Wagon R.

HOWEVER....the one you are looking at..is it a Turbo charged one ? If it a Turbo charged one it will be quite fun to drive as well as those things have a fun little amount of torque. Still won't be as quick as a Prius or Aqua in outstation but will be a lot better than the standard wagon R or Spacia.

Thx the wagon r stingray im looking at is not a turbo ... The turbo model comes close to 40 and the normal model is 36 and the one whose gonna use this car a lot will be our father who owned an axio hybrid g 2016 before ...

Sorry...I meant Turbo charged Spacia Custom Z. The Spacio Custom Z Turbo would be more zippier than the non Turbo variant. Same applies for the Wagon R T. Eitherway these are kei cars. Not intended to be speed demons. They are cars for city driving and occasional light cruise. I seriously doubt you would feel that much performance difference between the Wagon R and Spacio.

Kei cars have a lot of low end torque (even the non turbo ones) so your dad might actually feel it being quick starting off from stop lights and driving in traffic (if he steps on it. In SL most Wagon R drivers don't step on it in fear of wasting fuel). However, he will feel that the car is under strain compared to the Axio when he drives on open roads or at speed.

Again, for me the choice would be the Spacio. If I am going to be driving around slowly anyway (which you will be doing with either car) I might as well do it in comfort :). 

15 hours ago, iRage said:

Sorry...I meant Turbo charged Spacia Custom Z. The Spacio Custom Z Turbo would be more zippier than the non Turbo variant. Same applies for the Wagon R T. Eitherway these are kei cars. Not intended to be speed demons. They are cars for city driving and occasional light cruise. I seriously doubt you would feel that much performance difference between the Wagon R and Spacio.

Kei cars have a lot of low end torque (even the non turbo ones) so your dad might actually feel it being quick starting off from stop lights and driving in traffic (if he steps on it. In SL most Wagon R drivers don't step on it in fear of wasting fuel). However, he will feel that the car is under strain compared to the Axio when he drives on open roads or at speed.

Again, for me the choice would be the Spacio. If I am going to be driving around slowly anyway (which you will be doing with either car) I might as well do it in comfort :). 

Thx .. I don't think either one of the two vehicles are turbo models ... I'll just try to find a way to test drive both before buying one ...

5 hours ago, gayankap said:

Thx .. I don't think either one of the two vehicles are turbo models ... I'll just try to find a way to test drive both before buying one ...

Cool...all the best. I don;t think you would find that much of difference in the power department and most of the differences will be in the handling and ride quality. At the end your decision I feel will have to be based on things like price, comfort, ease of access to parts (body parts) and practicality.

The other main difference is that cars with the 'Hybrid' emblem can now crawl in traffic under electric power, due to a larger battery and revamped motor/generator. My wife has the older S-ene charge version, and it has a separate starter motor for initially starting the vehicle, but uses the ISG (integrated starter/generator) while on the move (there is an audible difference in how the engine is started in both modes). The engine shuts off when coasting to a stop (you have to be light on the brakes), and remains switched off while your foot is on the brake pedal. You can override the functionality with a button. The revamped system supposedly allows one to crawl in traffic on electric power alone, which will be a boon in traffic, because waiting for the engine to start just to move a few feet is frustrating as hell.

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2017 at 7:47 PM, iRage said:

Considering the fuel consumption, what will win?
Spacia or Wagon R ?

12 hours ago, Pradeep Sanjeewa said:

Considering the fuel consumption, what will win?
Spacia or Wagon R ?

You really can't put it like that...a lot of factors like how you drive the car, where you drive the car, the condition, etc...come in to effect

If you look at manufacturer's JC08 figures you will see that both cars are in the same bracket...the Spacia does a little less probably because of the added weight.

Edited by iRage