• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Premio 260 GearBox Repair

cmeegama

Question

Hello,

My vehicle Toyota Premio's gearbox needs to be repaired or replaced. I did get this checked by 2 mechanics and both have the same opinion. Vehicle done only 74K but I do think now the meter has been changed by the previous owner, anyway I would like to:

1. know get a few recommendations of places to get this done
2. should I go with the repair or a new reconditioned gearbox

Thanks

Edited by cmeegama

25 answers to this question

Is your problem gears slipping?

Did you try the vehicle to maintain the position in gear in a slop in same acceleration(rpm), if the car started moving backward in the slop means gears slipping.

Did you check the gear box cintrol module, that failed in toyota RAV4 , 2002 model. 

It is better to go for recondition gear box than repairing. But since cost too high. Better to take chance by repairing. But better to double check the place you are going to repair and post the updates.

The CVT gearbox has started to fail on several of these cars including the Axio which features the same gearbox and engine combination. The issue seems to stem from the fact that Toyota states a 100,000km duration for the CVT gearbox oil change, and sticking to this with the car being used mainly in traffic seems to be suicidal. To avoid the gearbox failing the best is to do the oil change every 50-60,000km and then reduce the duration even further as the car ages in mileage. The gearbox failure seems to be in two stages, one where the gearbox will not change which can be repaired, and the next where not attending to this problem in time causing a belt failure.

Hi I have 2009 260 premio.

I have problem when I go around 20kmh to 40kmh and takes the foot out of the accelerator and re accelerating it gives a knock.some times two knocks.

Even quick accelerate from like 10kmh to 45kmh it gives that knock.

All these happens mainly in traffic and it only happens time to time.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2017 at 5:24 PM, hrm said:

What exactly is the problem? I mean symptoms.  Have you done CVT oil replacements in proper intervals? Talk to Nilwala. I think they now have CVT repair kits.

Yes Nilwala has done repairs on friends Vitz cvt box. He replaces orings and some rings. 

45 minutes ago, Ruslan said:

Yes Nilwala has done repairs on friends Vitz cvt box. He replaces orings and some rings. 

Yep. One of my friends Vitz was repaired there too. And they said about 100 Vitz alone were repaired by them in past year or so. Cost him 50K and doing ok now.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I got the GearBox replaced. Actually first I got a quote from Nilwala to repair the gearbox for 50K, then again I got a recommendation from a friend to go to "JENNET AUTOMOBILE REPAIR CENTER - Athurugirya" who had a look and promised to get it done for the same price, and I choice "JENNET" as they were recommended by a trusted friend.

Unfortunately, JENNET AUTOMOBILE REPAIR CENTER did a very bad job, as a result, I had to consult Nilwala who advised me the GearBox is no longer repairable and I had to replace costing me 150K.

If this helps anyone with similar CVT gearbox situations go with Nilwala.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses everyone, I got the GearBox replaced. Actually first I got a quote from Nilwala to repair the gearbox for 50K, then again I got a recommendation from a friend to go to "JENNET AUTOMOBILE REPAIR CENTER - Athurugirya" who had a look and promised to get it done for the same price, and I choice "JENNET" as they were recommended by a trusted friend.
Unfortunately, JENNET AUTOMOBILE REPAIR CENTER did a very bad job, as a result, I had to consult Nilwala who advised me the GearBox is no longer repairable and I had to replace costing me 150K.
Thanks!
Well if this place did a crappy job didn't you try to get it repaired by them instead of going to another place

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

On 4/9/2018 at 9:56 AM, The Stig said:

Well if this place did a crappy job didn't you try to get it repaired by them instead of going to another place

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I did, the guy then said the GearBox needs to be replaced at this stage and he can if I get him a GearBox, I did not have the time to deal with him, so I just towed the car to Nilwala the same day, he got it fixed the next day.

All these JDMs with CVT for cost-cutting, not suitable for our hot and City traffic conditions. Especially when the people want to change CVT oil at intervals recommended for Japanese driving conditions.
90% of Sri Lankans do not know what a JDM car is or why it's different to an export model, I guarantee you this.
Ignorance is bliss.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 08/04/2018 at 1:03 PM, cmeegama said:

Thanks!

Jennet is specialized for Hyundai vehicles.

On 4/8/2018 at 5:33 PM, cmeegama said:

Thanks!

Please tell me where to get your gear box repaired. Is it successful? How much money went Are you giving yourself responsibility?

Edited by Davy
Removed personal contact information

12 hours ago, premio 5388 said:

Please tell me where to get your gear box repaired. Is it successful? How much money went Are you giving yourself responsibility?

Are you high or something?? 

Edited by Davy
Removed quoted contact information
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, trinity said:

Are you high or something?? 

?‍♂️ dude puts his email address just like that... I'm willing to bet his Car Would be a 2007 or 2008 Premio with a number like KP-5388 :D 

Edited by matroska
  • Haha 2

On 10/18/2019 at 6:50 PM, matroska said:

?‍♂️ dude puts his email address just like that... I'm willing to bet his Car Would be a 2007 or 2008 Premio with a number like KP-5388 :D 

Remembered this thread when this guy passed me yesterday XD20191023_114813(0).thumb.jpg.450963aef5b80b88dd4e592472ea8f2e.jpg

• Haha 1

Im already 120K done in CVT JDM and 3 times changed CVT oil.

At 80K, even oil sump removed. At 120K it was just drain & refill.

No any issues so far, but this place Lau*** Car** always wanted to remove sump.

But when I got advice from TL tech hotline, they said sump removal is not recommended.

You guys have any idea?

Hi Friends,

I have changed CVT oil in my Toyota Premio few days back and used Toyota CVT FE oil recommended by Toyota for 1NZ-FE engines. ODO is 70k. Once it is done, there's a small jerk in low speeds 20-40kmph and feels the gear change which was never experienced before. I revisit the garage and they checked again and refilled with new oil. Had a test run and the jerk still comes in low speeds. Then they have scan the system and found no faults and had a test run again. Then the jerk is minimal and not upto a considerable level. Today morning once again jerk comes up and I visit again to garage. They have run the gear learn app in the scanner and test the CVT oil pressure. Then again jerk has gone when doing the test run. But when I'm travelling back few miles I still feels a small jerk(which didn't experienced before the oil change). Is there anyone face such issue after CVT oil change? Your valuable feedback and expertize advice really appreciated...

On 11/10/2019 at 10:41 PM, Toyolover said:

Hi Friends,

I have changed CVT oil in my Toyota Premio few days back and used Toyota CVT FE oil recommended by Toyota for 1NZ-FE engines. ODO is 70k. Once it is done, there's a small jerk in low speeds 20-40kmph and feels the gear change which was never experienced before. I revisit the garage and they checked again and refilled with new oil. Had a test run and the jerk still comes in low speeds. Then they have scan the system and found no faults and had a test run again. Then the jerk is minimal and not upto a considerable level. Today morning once again jerk comes up and I visit again to garage. They have run the gear learn app in the scanner and test the CVT oil pressure. Then again jerk has gone when doing the test run. But when I'm travelling back few miles I still feels a small jerk(which didn't experienced before the oil change). Is there anyone face such issue after CVT oil change? Your valuable feedback and expertize advice really appreciated...

Hey,

Didn't they re calibrate CVT after the oil change.

Issue is that. Just changing CVT oil is not enough & cause issues.

CVT re-calibrate has to be done. Then only system identifies new oil pressure, oil capacity, oil weight & do transmission decisions based on new values.

Ask them to re-calibrate. If they don't have that OBD port scanner used for it, do it from outside place.

issue should go away

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Uditha88 said:

Hey,

CVT re-calibrate has to be done. Then only system identifies new oil pressure, oil capacity, oil weight & do transmission decisions based on new values.

Ask them to re-calibrate. If they don't have that OBD port scanner used for it, do it from outside place.

issue should go away

How do you Re-Calibrate the CVT????

On 11/13/2019 at 1:26 PM, Uditha88 said:

Hey,

issue should go away

Thanks machan! Done it today and issue gone away now.

Hi friends, 

I have problem with CVT gear box. Some times i try to slow drive more angle place like road high bumpers when accelarate rpm goes high and  suddenly engage gear with high jerk. Already clean the sump & changed cvt oil. But still same happening