• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

cmeegama

Toyota Premio 260 GearBox Repair

Question

Hello,

My vehicle Toyota Premio's gearbox needs to be repaired or replaced. I did get this checked by 2 mechanics and both have the same opinion. Vehicle done only 74K but I do think now the meter has been changed by the previous owner, anyway I would like to:

1. know get a few recommendations of places to get this done
2. should I go with the repair or a new reconditioned gearbox

Thanks

Edited by cmeegama

4 answers to this question

What exactly is the problem? I mean symptoms.  Have you done CVT oil replacements in proper intervals? Talk to Nilwala. I think they now have CVT repair kits.

Is your problem gears slipping?

Did you try the vehicle to maintain the position in gear in a slop in same acceleration(rpm), if the car started moving backward in the slop means gears slipping.

Did you check the gear box cintrol module, that failed in toyota RAV4 , 2002 model. 

It is better to go for recondition gear box than repairing. But since cost too high. Better to take chance by repairing. But better to double check the place you are going to repair and post the updates.

The CVT gearbox has started to fail on several of these cars including the Axio which features the same gearbox and engine combination. The issue seems to stem from the fact that Toyota states a 100,000km duration for the CVT gearbox oil change, and sticking to this with the car being used mainly in traffic seems to be suicidal. To avoid the gearbox failing the best is to do the oil change every 50-60,000km and then reduce the duration even further as the car ages in mileage. The gearbox failure seems to be in two stages, one where the gearbox will not change which can be repaired, and the next where not attending to this problem in time causing a belt failure.