Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

trish_auto

2018 Budget - Vehicle import duty

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Skyonline said:

Sri Lanka FM defuses duty shock on used electric cars

Sri Lanka's Finance Minister Mangala Samaraweera Friday agreed to extend the substantial duty concession announced in the budget for new electric cars to used models too, particularly the popular Nissan Leaf.

http://www.economynext.com/Sri_Lanka_FM_defuses_duty_shock_on_used_electric_cars-3-9145-1.html

Many Leaf drivers return home sweating, unable to use the air conditioner for fear of running out of battery power. "  :lol::D

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tcfern1 said:

Minister mangala samaraweera is a man with vision not like former FM

Yes,  Beer for every one instead of sweet  soft drinks including ladies and children may be another vision.

When Bangaladesh having electric threewhlers already , exporting old three Wheelers  to that country is another vision.

That vision forgotten to include a bundle of Solar panels to that 10% or Banks 90% , when we produce electricity on fossil fuels .

Every ex-FMs specially after 2010 had no vision. They suicide d  themselves.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only vehicle reduced with this budget is vitz and passo. Some electric brand new may come in future. As a summary this cheating budget that play hidding factors

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xtreme Auto said:

Only vehicle reduced with this budget is vitz and passo. Some electric brand new may come in future. As a summary this cheating budget that play hidding factors

Exactly !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dantoddd said:

Well the government says it wants to encourage greener vehicles, but the practicality is that the new structure does not make any green vehicles which can be imported in to Sri Lanka affordable. I think there is some justification for people to be pissed off there. The new structure seems like a grand exercise in social engineering where the Govt is forcing people to not buy cars.

Also with tax structures being so prohibitive, i feel that the Govt will lose out on revenue. 

Well...No new car imports to Singapore till 2021. I wish we Sri Lankans had the selflessness and the balls to follow up on something like that.  Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country,”  is simply not in our system..but then the powers that rule the country are to blame for that too.

If our politicians ever do that (who never will because they do not have, nor did they ever have, the foresight to setup a proper public transportation system to compensate for it) our population will be yelling and screaming about how their human rights are being violated (is having a car actually a human right ? In most countries it is perceived as a privilege and not a human right). On the other hand, no one seems to care about the fact that the "cultural police" made a press release about couples should be carrying copies of their marriage certificates if they are going to be in public places !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rohnd said:

Yes,  Beer for every one instead of sweet  soft drinks including ladies and children may be another vision.

When Bangaladesh having electric threewhlers already , exporting old three Wheelers  to that country is another vision.

That vision forgotten to include a bundle of Solar panels to that 10% or Banks 90% , when we produce electricity on fossil fuels .

Every ex-FMs specially after 2010 had no vision. They suicide d  themselves.

Normally sri lankans are very clever to look at any thing in a negative manner .

But they do nothing for the country other than critisizing others

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any updates on the new prices of Suzuki Baleno and Nissan Note ( hybrid version) ?

Edited by trish_auto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Xtreme Auto said:

Only vehicle reduced with this budget is vitz and passo. Some electric brand new may come in future. As a summary this cheating budget that play hidding factors

CHR, CRV will come down

So will most of euros with smaller engines like Q2, Q7, C180, 318i, mini PHV, E350e not to mention any super / hyper cars if one can afford  the price.

Edited by kush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Land cruiser tax up by over 12 million and so will the politicians vehicle permits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trish_auto said:

Why wagon-R price reduction is not substantial ?

I'm sorry I don't represent the government, so I have no idea. :) 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...No new car imports to Singapore till 2021. I wish we Sri Lankans had the selflessness and the balls to follow up on something like that.  Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country,”  is simply not in our system..but then the powers that rule the country are to blame for that too.

If our politicians ever do that (who never will because they do not have, nor did they ever have, the foresight to setup a proper public transportation system to compensate for it) our population will be yelling and screaming about how their human rights are being violated (is having a car actually a human right ? In most countries it is perceived as a privilege and not a human right). On the other hand, no one seems to care about the fact that the "cultural police" made a press release about couples should be carrying copies of their marriage certificates if they are going to be in public places !

well - Singapore  does have a decent public transport system so that no-car rule is justifiable  unlike in SL where public transport  is very very very unreliable. A month or so ago i took a train from Fort to Kelaniya in the evening only for it to pull up at Maradana and announce that there's a strike and this train will travel no further ... I mean in a country that such blatantly ridiculous shit happens regularly you really can't expect anyone who can afford a set of wheels to not buy one. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, matroska said:

well - Singapore  does have a decent public transport system so that no-car rule is justifiable  unlike in SL where public transport  is very very very unreliable. A month or so ago i took a train from Fort to Kelaniya in the evening only for it to pull up at Maradana and announce that there's a strike and this train will travel no further ... I mean in a country that such blatantly ridiculous shit happens regularly you really can't expect anyone who can afford a set of wheels to not buy one. 

Well said. ! This is the main reason behind the rapid increase of thee-wheels, motorbikes, small cars during last few years.  People buy vehicles because they are desperate.  This finally ended up in burning nearly 4.5 million liters of petrol  per day.:o.  Most of these consumption is wasted during the long traffic jams.  Not only wasting money on fuel,  air pollution also matters lot.  Without proper policies in developing public transport,  not that far in reaching a  crisis like New Delhi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finance minister was not aware that agents are not bringing down Nissan Leaf vehicles and he has given tax concessions to brand new electric vehicles. :D star trek budget

Quote

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Quiet said:

Finance minister was not aware that agents are not bringing down Nissan Leaf vehicles and he has given tax concessions to brand new electric vehicles. :D star trek budget

 

In fact Minister was thinking about this ..

BMW-i5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on a related note apparently someway or the other vitz prices have gone down to a notch above 3 Mill and a lot of folk seem to want to buy one - so the net result i see is a wave of normal fossil-fuel cars :D 

Edited by matroska

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matroska said:

well - Singapore  does have a decent public transport system so that no-car rule is justifiable  unlike in SL where public transport  is very very very unreliable. A month or so ago i took a train from Fort to Kelaniya in the evening only for it to pull up at Maradana and announce that there's a strike and this train will travel no further ... I mean in a country that such blatantly ridiculous shit happens regularly you really can't expect anyone who can afford a set of wheels to not buy one. 

Which is why I said our politicians do not have, nor ever had nor will this same bunch of politicians under a different name ever have, the foresight (or brains) to actually setup a public transportation system to compensate (for not having cars). Let's be honest...the private bus owners'/operators' association yields more power than the clowns in the parliament.

But I wonder..if the public transportation was actually there, if our Sri Lankan population will actually give up their cars. We do live in a society where a person's value is measure by the letters on a registration plate and shinyness of their wheels.

Anyway...all of these are just rantings...we will get more cars..lesser road space...more traffic jams...more debt...so nothing new.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, iRage said:

Which is why I said our politicians do not have, nor ever had nor will this same bunch of politicians under a different name ever have, the foresight (or brains) to actually setup a public transportation system to compensate (for not having cars). Let's be honest...the private bus owners'/operators' association yields more power than the clowns in the parliament.

But I wonder..if the public transportation was actually there, if our Sri Lankan population will actually give up their cars. We do live in a society where a person's value is measure by the letters on a registration plate and shinyness of their wheels.

Anyway...all of these are just rantings...we will get more cars..lesser road space...more traffic jams...more debt...so nothing new.

this is very true  for some people- I know a few people who hardly drive at all buy hybrids and keep at home just to 'keep up with the perera's ' . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best cars should promote to reduce carbon emission is hybrid petrol cars not the electric vehicles. the fact that effect by electric vehicles is that the carbon emit by power generation is higher than the petrol vehicles. Majority been produced by Norochchole which is a boiler powered with coal. Worst case is diesel generators that they supply the lack of the peak.

Uneducated ministers will never understanding those factors and these buggers will never make a environment or people friendly budgets. They play for their benifits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sri Lanka 65,610Km2

Singapore 719Km2

Same sort of restrictions is not practical and it will take a long time for us to cover the entire country with descent public transport. Restricting vehicle entry to main cities with better public transport would be an option. I for one is willing to travel in good public transport without the hassle of daily driving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, tcfern1 said:

Normally sri lankans are very clever to look at any thing in a negative manner .

But they do nothing for the country other than critisizing others

Yes, When we watch Sirasa TV everyday, your idea wins. Criticizing everywhere, every party. Are they negative.! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×