• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2018 Budget - Vehicle import duty

trish_auto

Even for the electric vehicles , the benefit is only given for brand new imports. Since our Nissan agent does not bring down Leaf , and all the other Leaf imports are not brand new, the price will remain more or less the same.

AFAIK BMW agent brings down I3 brand new. I heard the price will be reduced.

1 hour ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Even for the electric vehicles , the benefit is only given for brand new imports. Since our Nissan agent does not bring down Leaf , and all the other Leaf imports are not brand new, the price will remain more or less the same.

Obviously now Nissan will import but unfortunately the new 2018 is 110kw so tax will fall into 25000 per kw category.

2017 is 85kw motor.

Audi Q2 1000cc turbo tax is only 1750000 now?

2018 major imports will be 1000cc turbo variants and below 1000cc hybrids!

Electrics below 100kw options are less and they need to be Brand new too.

Smart forfour is also good option if D*MO brings them down 60kw motor. So tax ia gonna be 750000

Edited by zeem35
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tux said:

It looks like Toyota C-HR 1.2L turbo 4wd version might become popular.

The CHR is a nice car...so its good nice cars are being brought down. But since this will also fall in to hands of idiots it will be hated because of the cars' idiotic owners' attitudes. Hell they did that to the Premio, Allion, etc...which were actually decent cars for what they were.

13 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

True, even if it a brand new car in Japan, since it gets registered and de-registered in Japan the papers state it is used. Quite unfortunate...but that is the case. In Singapore, Toyota franchise dealers somehow got the local authorities to recognize cars as brand new even if they were brand new grey imports (so the grey imported Allions, Premios in SG were actually recognized as brand new cars by SG authorities). Unfortunately, not much hope of anything like that happening over in SL.

As we know main stream Japanese cars were popular before the major revision of Import duties in 2007 (as I recall) Then when all the JDM loyalists saw the price reduction of the German counterparts, they went after those. If Mercedes offer a 1L C class or Ford come up with a electric car with the same price range of a leaf, you can imagine the rest......

17 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Yep. Nissan to BMW...... 

On 11/10/2017 at 10:52 AM, matroska said:

yeah that seems to be the gist of the automotive section of the budget but i really wonder is SL ,powered by a patchy fossil-fuel powered station (that also is prone to break down time and time again )  and a few underwhelming hydro power stations be able be able to cater an influx of Electric vehicles?? Do we have plans for an alternative electricity generation to meet the increased demand??

Any agent in Sri Lanka  be able to brand new electric vehicle to Sri Lanka ? As far as I know still Leaf is not released to SL agents. Is that true ?

Otherwise no point of all the tax benefits for electric vehicles.

1 hour ago, trish_auto said:

Any agent in Sri Lanka  be able to brand new electric vehicle to Sri Lanka ? As far as I know still Leaf is not released to SL agents. Is that true ?

Otherwise no point of all the tax benefits for electric vehicles.

Only Prestige brings BMW i3.

Rest reputed brands grey imports

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, iRage said:

In Singapore, Toyota franchise dealers somehow got the local authorities to recognize cars as brand new even if they were brand new grey imports (so the grey imported Allions, Premios in SG were actually recognized as brand new cars by SG authorities). Unfortunately, not much hope of anything like that happening over in SL.

yes because unlike in Singapore,our private car importers have earned a reputation similar to mafia through decades of good service to the public ?

Just see this news.

විදුලි කාර් රථ සදහා වන බද්ද ලක්‍ෂ 10කට වඩා වැඩියෙන් ලෙස අඩුකරන බව අයවැවෙන් එය කිසිසේත්ම මෙරට පාරිභෝගිකයන්ට හිමි නොවන බව කොළඹ පැවති මාධ්‍ය හමුවක් අමතමින් වාහන ආයනයන කරුවන්ගේ සංගමය පවසයි.

1 hour ago, kusumsiri said:

Just see this news.

විදුලි කාර් රථ සදහා වන බද්ද ලක්‍ෂ 10කට වඩා වැඩියෙන් ලෙස අඩුකරන බව අයවැවෙන් එය කිසිසේත්ම මෙරට පාරිභෝගිකයන්ට හිමි නොවන බව කොළඹ පැවති මාධ්‍ය හමුවක් අමතමින් වාහන ආයනයන කරුවන්ගේ සංගමය පවසයි.

well someone is salty

Everyone’s always on the lookout for “Sahana”. I wonder when the budget reading became equated with Santa’s coming in our country! If at all Santa comes only to the line minister’s house as we witnessed recently.

In this case, the minister is clearly looking to simplify the existing vehicle tax system and Encourage greener vehicles, not necessarily looking to dole out handouts to vehicle Importers Association. 

34 minutes ago, Mazda6 said:

Everyone’s always on the lookout for “Sahana”. I wonder when the budget reading became equated with Santa’s coming in our country! If at all Santa comes only to the line minister’s house as we witnessed recently.

In this case, the minister is clearly looking to simplify the existing vehicle tax system and Encourage greener vehicles, not necessarily looking to dole out handouts to vehicle Importers Association. 

Well the government says it wants to encourage greener vehicles, but the practicality is that the new structure does not make any green vehicles which can be imported in to Sri Lanka affordable. I think there is some justification for people to be pissed off there. The new structure seems like a grand exercise in social engineering where the Govt is forcing people to not buy cars.

Also with tax structures being so prohibitive, i feel that the Govt will lose out on revenue. 

6 hours ago, dantoddd said:

Well the government says it wants to encourage greener vehicles, but the practicality is that the new structure does not make any green vehicles which can be imported in to Sri Lanka affordable. I think there is some justification for people to be pissed off there. The new structure seems like a grand exercise in social engineering where the Govt is forcing people to not buy cars.

Also with tax structures being so prohibitive, i feel that the Govt will lose out on revenue. 

As we can clearly see the government is not encouraging new vehicle imports. Is that a National issue at this very moment? 

Is SL ready with electric charging stations? Can SL provide electricity if demand increases? Doesn’t SL generate electricity mainly from fossil fuels? Shouldn’t authorities understand these before making decisions for the public? Being environment concerned is a great attitude, but does it exist in SL -(start with politicians)?

How is ‘luxury’ defined? Is ‘luxury’ different for politicians and government officers than rest of the citizens? What’s the theory behind different custom-duties for ordinary citizens, politicians and government officers?

It is good to have a uniform method to derive taxes like based on engine capacity. At the same time, it would have been better to have a reasonable tax on vehicles than current exorbitant mechanism, and have a fund for road development from fuel used- eg. Additional 1 rupee from every liter of fuel.

Sri Lanka FM defuses duty shock on used electric cars

Sri Lanka's Finance Minister Mangala Samaraweera Friday agreed to extend the substantial duty concession announced in the budget for new electric cars to used models too, particularly the popular Nissan Leaf.

http://www.economynext.com/Sri_Lanka_FM_defuses_duty_shock_on_used_electric_cars-3-9145-1.html

• Like 1