• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2018 Budget - Vehicle import duty

trish_auto

On 10/19/2017 at 6:02 PM, Rohnd said:

This concept on Hybrids below 1500cc is technically wrong , while Hybrids above 1500cc give more performance. I think it comes from Luxury/Super Luxury concepts of a still 3rd world country driven by elected politicians with no technical ability..

I also read a similar thing before. According to that " carrying an additional  mortar, battery Is too heavy for a smaller engine." 

Is that the reason why Prius is more fuel efficient than Axio ?   Is that the reason why Toyota is not considering hybrids versions below 1500 cc?  

Veterans please share your knowledge here..:)

29 minutes ago, trish_auto said:

I also read a similar thing before. According to that " carrying an additional  mortar, battery Is too heavy for a smaller engine." 

Is that the reason why Prius is more fuel efficient than Axio ?   Is that the reason why Toyota is not considering hybrids versions below 1500 cc?  

The Prius has a newer engine than the Axio

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎28 at 7:18 AM, trish_auto said:

bigger engines are more fuel efficient at higher speeds,small engines have an advantage for city driving. so it depends on your driving profile.

14 hours ago, trish_auto said:

The table seems to be doing rounds on social media. The information is not verified and no one seems to know the source of the data. These tables turn up every year right around budget time and usually the information it provides is minimally accurate (okay...maybe 40:60...more towards being inaccurate). As soon as the budget is actually read there would be another host of tables like this popping up. They too are usually riddled with errors because people who make them make calculation mistakes and can't figure out changes in "percentage" values.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, trish_auto said:

If these charts are correct, It shows,

1. Authorities have no clear policies on duties of vehicles.

2. Government has immediate plans to build at least two electricity Generation Plants equivalent to Norechcholei.

3. Make Chinese build Solar Panels factories in proposed Hambanthota FTZ , immediately without any delay.

4. No public transport developments in near future.( Megapolis Monorail is nothing)

We will see how the government reacts.

Edited by Rohnd

3 hours ago, Rohnd said:

If these charts are correct, It shows,

1. Authorities have no clear policies on duties of vehicles.

2. Government has immediate plans to build at least two electricity Generation Plants equivalent to Norechcholei.

3. Make Chinese build Solar Panels factories in proposed Hambanthota FTZ , immediately without any delay.

4. No public transport developments in near future.( Megapolis Monorail is nothing)

We will see how the government reacts.

Correct, as a country we need to have firm policies in minimizing fossil fuel consumption. If government promote electric cars, it needs to find a way of safely deposing ( or recycling) used batteries at the end of their service life. Otherwise e-waste going to be another problem.

Sri Lanka has already proven wind power is not a rationale option ( due to inconsistent wind speeds).  Cheap solar panels in Sri Lankan market drop their efficiency by 40%-60% even halfway before its expected service life.  Only profitable option is coal. But it has lot of environmental concerns. 

Nuclear ?? Any support from DPRK ??;)

6 hours ago, trish_auto said:

Sri Lanka has already proven wind power is not a rationale option ( due to inconsistent wind speeds).  Cheap solar panels in Sri Lankan market drop their efficiency by 40%-60% even halfway before its expected ".......

Your opinions or facts?

Proven how? Where in the world (literally) you get consistent wind speeds?

not all solar panels available in SL are substandard and do you know brand considered #1 in the world (domestic installations) also available in SL?

I hope Sri Lanka is not equipped at this for  more electric vehicles at present.The  Infrastructure for Electricity generation is not sufficient. We saw several power cuts during the drought season. Very few charging stations are not sufficient   if they introduce electric three Wheeler too.

Inland revenue Commissioner has an advantage to open more Tax files , since the utility bills for increase amounts can monitor on his desktop . The  Time plan utilization of Electricity introduced by CEB may be  a solution  for hiding from the same commissioner. Also we may see three wheel malli  is in the Inland revenue net.

For so called friends can construct more Hydro power Stations  by cutting forest reserves,drying waterfalls to cater the generation of electricity for millions of Electric vehicles in this country. The Government should stop this.

It seems that government aim is to replace all existing three wheels with electric three wheels , that is why they say Bangaladesh story. 

I suggest that Government proposals are short sighted except all Electric buses  and additional tax over 2500 cc.

For my view , only promoting of  Hybrid vehicles (Except all new Nissan X-Trail Hybrid) would bring some solution for this problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, dantoddd said:

Well i guess the only vehicle you can buy now are electric vehicles all others are prohibitively expensive 

yeah that seems to be the gist of the automotive section of the budget but i really wonder is SL ,powered by a patchy fossil-fuel powered station (that also is prone to break down time and time again )  and a few underwhelming hydro power stations be able be able to cater an influx of Electric vehicles?? Do we have plans for an alternative electricity generation to meet the increased demand??

2 hours ago, Rohnd said:

I hope Sri Lanka is not equipped at this for  more electric vehicles at present.The  Infrastructure for Electricity generation is not sufficient. We saw several power cuts during the drought season. Very few charging stations are not sufficient   if they introduce electric three Wheeler too.

Inland revenue Commissioner has an advantage to open more Tax files , since the utility bills for increase amounts can monitor on his desktop . The  Time plan utilization of Electricity introduced by CEB may be  a solution  for hiding from the same commissioner. Also we may see three wheel malli  is in the Inland revenue net.

For so called friends can construct more Hydro power Stations  by cutting forest reserves,drying waterfalls to cater the generation of electricity for millions of Electric vehicles in this country. The Government should stop this.

It seems that government aim is to replace all existing three wheels with electric three wheels , that is why they say Bangaladesh story. 

I suggest that Government proposals are short sighted except all Electric buses  and additional tax over 2500 cc.

For my view , only promoting of  Hybrid vehicles (Except all new Nissan X-Trail Hybrid) would bring some solution for this problem.

yes - the plan should have been to promote hybrids with engine capacity <1500 CC - Save fuel + not burden the Grid. 

Well since when did we have a budget/government with proper vision ? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matroska said:

yeah that seems to be the gist of the automotive section of the budget but i really wonder is SL ,powered by a patchy fossil-fuel powered station (that also is prone to break down time and time again )  and a few underwhelming hydro power stations be able be able to cater an influx of Electric vehicles?? Do we have plans for an alternative electricity generation to meet the increased demand??

Government is planning to establish island wide solar-powered charging stations and other renewable energy powered charging stations in its budget proposals. Not sure how far it will work out. Otherwise government won't achieve any benefit by promoting electric cars. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1