• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2018 Budget - Vehicle import duty

trish_auto

Hi Folks,

Any updates on the changes to the vehicle import duties in coming budget ?  Specially the small and medium cars.

It seems government is no longer promoting electric cars. At least government should encourage more environmentally friendly transport options. High volumes of slow moving office/ school traffic incur heavy loss to the country's economy in each day. I wonder why this simple maths can not be understood by policymakers ?  

Last year government claimed that there are too many cars on road, so it should come down. But they didn't come up with anything effective on upgrading public transport, increasing capacities of roads reaching Colombo ( kandy road, highlevel road, galle road) or finding alternative routes.

Please share your information

Thank You

:)

As gossip sites said they going to reduce taxes of electric cars and below 800cc. please reply if anyone can guess the value of below vehicals after the budget,

1. Alto 800

2. Suzuki Wagon R

3. Nissan leaf

Thanks in advance

Edited by Xtreme Auto
  • Like 1

Trish - As you comment on government policies, this is  poor management strategies  show only based on election. But they did not consider the fact that effected parties due to tax variance. Specially vehicle importers and sales will be in real trouble due these fluctuations. I have a doubt that this may increase again after the election.

For heavy traffic in city area can be reduce by implement below suggestions,

1. Limit personal vehicle entrance to city- ( Need to make proper car parking around city and luxury/semi luxury public transportation should arrange from park to city- This can be a big earning for government if corruption wasn't there).

2. Increase no.of trains and buses including facilities.

3. Promote private companies (inside the city)to supply transport facility to there employees.

4. Acknowledge  drivers to avoid traffic creation due to poor driving styles. specially three wheel drivers

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Xtreme Auto said:

Trish - As you comment on government policies, this is  poor management strategies  show only based on election. But they did not consider the fact that effected parties due to tax variance. Specially vehicle importers and sales will be in real trouble due these fluctuations. I have a doubt that this may increase again after the election.

For heavy traffic in city area can be reduce by implement below suggestions,

1. Limit personal vehicle entrance to city- ( Need to make proper car parking around city and luxury/semi luxury public transportation should arrange from park to city- This can be a big earning for government if corruption wasn't there).

2. Increase no.of trains and buses including facilities.

3. Promote private companies (inside the city)to supply transport facility to there employees.

4. Acknowledge  drivers to avoid traffic creation due to poor driving styles. specially three wheel drivers

Thank you 

17 hours ago, Xtreme Auto said:

As gossip sites said they going to reduce taxes of electric cars and below 800cc. please reply if anyone can guess the value of below vehicals after the budget,

1. Alto 800

2. Suzuki Wagon R

3. Nissan leaf

Thanks in advance

I hope the earlier decision by the government on electric cars is correct since the country is struggling to provide adequate electricity without any clear plan for the coming years. However hybrid cars are attractive in this sense. Regret to say that the government has not provided a sufficient avenue for the  hybrids by introducing the cc  based duty system which is totally incorrect .

The producing of fossil cell engines to be stooped in coming years and the world is looking for Fuel cell which is also a form of electric variant . Toyota and Honda have already started producing these in US, Japan & in some EU countries.

We will see how Sri Lanka develop the infrastructure for such vehicles and the duty structure .As said all the governments in Sri Lanka have failed, to develop  public transportation here specially recent governments who  made the  idling Airports an Harbors  instead.

Now they are asking '  Are you in fun?' when we are behind years.

• Like 2

Daily I am driving up and down to Colpetty though Kandy road, Kelani Bridge and Baseline road for work.  I the evenings I see lot prime movers ( container carriers) passing around Grandpass, Baseline road creating long waits for office traffic moving out Colombo. If anyone here happened to observe that ? I think it is ridiculous that SLPA is not using its dedicated railway line for transporting these containers  in/out to some transfer station away from the  congested roads.  This move could save lot of time , money and reduce air pollution by many time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/26/2017 at 8:31 AM, Rohnd said:

I hope the earlier decision by the government on electric cars is correct since the country is struggling to provide adequate electricity without any clear plan for the coming years. However hybrid cars are attractive in this sense. Regret to say that the government has not provided a sufficient avenue for the  hybrids by introducing the cc  based duty system which is totally incorrect .

The producing of fossil cell engines to be stooped in coming years and the world is looking for Fuel cell which is also a form of electric variant . Toyota and Honda have already started producing these in US, Japan & in some EU countries.

We will see how Sri Lanka develop the infrastructure for such vehicles and the duty structure .As said all the governments in Sri Lanka have failed, to develop  public transportation here specially recent governments who  made the  idling Airports an Harbors  instead.

Now they are asking '  Are you in fun?' when we are behind years.

Fuel cell = Hydrogen ??

please elaborate.

10 hours ago, trish_auto said:

Fuel cell = Hydrogen ??

please elaborate.

Yes hydrogen fuel cells

The main benfit is that you can refuel it just like we fill our tanks with petrol, without having to wait for hours to charge batteries like in an EV.

11 hours ago, florider said:

I hope this good governance dudes will use their up stairs and not reduce taxes of fossil fuel vehicles

Not only current dudes,earlier King dudes have made Helicopters all-all  Tax free (2017 Customs HS Code: 88.02), still prevailing.  What is the purpose of Helicopters,other than the sound pollution to us ?. We are alive  & awaiting to see Sky -Train or  Metro Trains at least in Colombo and it's suburb. !!!.

A*W has stopped valuation for used vehicles. I got the information from them that they will start it after beginning of December. That meant there may be a considerable amount of reduction for smaller cars.

There are lot of gossips on electric vehicles. Some says that the tax will be around 0-5%. Still i could not confirm the correct information although i was trying hard find information since 5-6 weeks.

It is really appreciated any one give some feedback who is closely with Finance ministry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2017 at 9:51 AM, Xtreme Auto said:

A*W has stopped valuation for used vehicles. I got the information from them that they will start it after beginning of December. That meant there may be a considerable amount of reduction for smaller cars.

There are lot of gossips on electric vehicles. Some says that the tax will be around 0-5%. Still i could not confirm the correct information although i was trying hard find information since 5-6 weeks.

It is really appreciated any one give some feedback who is closely with Finance ministry.

What exactly is the point of listening to gossip and looking for people "closely with Finance Ministry"? How can you verify any of that information? The only way to know for sure is to wait for the damn budget to come out.

19 minutes ago, Supra_Natural said:

What exactly is the point of listening to gossip and looking for people "closely with Finance Ministry"? How can you verify any of that information? The only way to know for sure is to wait for the damn budget to come out.

But we can adjust and arrange some budgets for targeted vehicles if we can take some idea what is going to happened.

On 10/18/2017 at 3:54 PM, tcfern1 said:

According to reliable information tax on hybrid below 1500cc will also come down.the exact percentage is not known.but definitely it will come down

This concept on Hybrids below 1500cc is technically wrong , while Hybrids above 1500cc give more performance. I think it comes from Luxury/Super Luxury concepts of a still 3rd world country driven by elected politicians with no technical ability..

• Like 1

On 10/19/2017 at 6:02 PM, Rohnd said:

This concept on Hybrids below 1500cc is technically wrong , while Hybrids above 1500cc give more performance. I think it comes from Luxury/Super Luxury concepts of a still 3rd world country driven by elected politicians with no technical ability..

Suzuki Ignis 1200CC mild hybrid will get popular in Sri Lanka, powerful than wagon R but same technology....

Edited by waka
MIstake

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎21 at 12:22 PM, waka said:

powerful than wagon R but same technology....

could you explain how can 1200cc Ignis have "same technology" like a 660cc Wagon R?

by the way I heard office rumour Panda,Maruti,Wagon R may go down as much as 3.5 lakhs,is that true?

12 hours ago, vag2 said:

could you explain how can 1200cc Ignis have "same technology" like a 660cc Wagon R?

by the way I heard office rumour Panda,Maruti,Wagon R may go down as much as 3.5 lakhs,is that true?

I mean the hybrid technology. Not like Suzuki Swift hybrid, It is a mild hybrid like wagon R. New Suzuki Ignis uses s-ene charge technology. It uses an ISG motor and has a similar battery like Wagon R under the front passenger seat. It is more of a city car but roomier one than Wagon R, more ground clearance that matches Lankan road conditions resembling Suzuki Swift jeep model . Very light car considering its size.

2 hours ago, waka said:

I mean the hybrid technology. Not like Suzuki Swift hybrid, It is a mild hybrid like wagon R. New Suzuki Ignis uses s-ene charge technology. It uses an ISG motor and has a similar battery like Wagon R under the front passenger seat. It is more of a city car but roomier one than Wagon R, more ground clearance that matches Lankan road conditions resembling Suzuki Swift jeep model . Very light car considering its size.

FYI

The Suzuki Swift 2017 has both technologies.

Mild and full hybrid.

Whatever is in Sri Lanka is Mild hybrid.

The full hybrid was launched recently and the price is also high.

• Like 2