• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best place to replace Hybrid battery of a Civic FD3 other than agents?

Goro

Anyone here have experience with Hybrid battery replacement of a Honda Civic FD3 ? I'm looking for an alternative option other than agents as their price is ridiculously high (probably because of extended warranty period ).  HybridHub by Edirisinhe motors quoted 330k for a replacement and someone told me some other place near kohuwala does this for around 170k. (I can't exactly remember the name of this place, let me know if someone know such a place near kohuwala). If both of these companies doing the same procedure I'd go with later.   I've also heard some people had trouble later with the replaced battery when they get this done by much cheaper places. Anyways, can anyone recommend me a good place with a reasonable price? 

Edited by Goro

yes,go for the cheap place only if you plan to sell immediately after replacement and don't care if the cheap cells explode or catch fire ?in our heat.By the way,how old is the car and its mileage?

anyway don't expect the battery to be reconditioned to original condition,in that case they should give 8-10years warranty like manufacturers but the maximum warranty you get even at the expensive places is what,2 years?

Edited by vag2
  • Like 1

I have a contact of a person who brings down used batteries from Japan. If it is only a few cells that needs to be replaced then that could be a good option. However, with a whole battery perhaps you will have to take a chance with the warranty offered. You can talk to him and see how it goes. If you are interested send me a PM. 

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, vag2 said:

yes,go for the cheap place only if you plan to sell immediately after replacement and don't care if the cheap cells explode or catch fire ?in our heat.By the way,how old is the car and its mileage?

anyway don't expect the battery to be reconditioned to original condition,in that case they should give 8-10years warranty like manufacturers but the maximum warranty you get even at the expensive places is what,2 years?

Not planing to keep the vehicle for a long time , and I don't want to sell the vehicle to someone with a faulty battery either. My car's usable capacity is probably around 15% and surprisingly it gives exact fuel economies like a one with a good battery. 20km/L in long distance. It's been this way for past 2 years. However charging cycles are more frequent as it drains quickly due to low capacity. So if I were to keep this I wouldn't change the battery now as it hasn't given much of a trouble yet.

It's a 2010 model with 60000km mileage. Anyone have experience with this place? https://kachybridbatteryclinic.net/  Website looks informative. They say they give 5yrs warranty. 

Edited by Goro

4 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

I have a contact of a person who brings down used batteries from Japan. If it is only a few cells that needs to be replaced then that could be a good option. However, with a whole battery perhaps you will have to take a chance with the warranty offered. You can talk to him and see how it goes. If you are interested send me a PM. 

When I contacted HybridHub they mentioned for this car model, replacing few cells won't work. I don't know if they say that because its less hassle for them with a good amount of money or, out of actual experience. Has your contact successfully replaced only some cells and recovered the battery to the running condition for a long time without any issues? If so that would be a great option.

3 minutes ago, Goro said:

When I contacted HybridHub they mentioned for this car model, replacing few cells won't work. I don't know if they say that because its less hassle for them with a good amount of money or, out of actual experience. Has your contact successfully replaced only some cells and recovered the battery to the running condition for a long time without any issues? If so that would be a great option.

I know a case of a GP5 but that car is a recent model compared to yours. True, you should not replace cells of an old pack (say more than 3 years) with new cells because due to aging the older cells would have different charging characteristics compared with new cells and you may end up ruining the new cells fast. However if your other cells are reasonably OK, there is no harm in replacing with used cells provided the guy give you a reasonable warranty (say 6 months) and a price. Talk to him and see if you are interested.

3 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

I know a case of a GP5 but that car is a recent model compared to yours. True, you should not replace cells of an old pack (say more than 3 years) with new cells because due to aging the older cells would have different charging characteristics compared with new cells and you may end up ruining the new cells fast. However if your other cells are reasonably OK, there is no harm in replacing with used cells provided the guy give you a reasonable warranty (say 6 months) and a price. Talk to him and see if you are interested.

Generally what they do is cannibalize another used battery and use the good cells to replace the bad cells. This will ensure that all cells will be more or less same conditions.

• Thanks 1

Do not go for cell replacement or grid charging solutions. They are temporary workarounds. There are various types of batteries for the FD3; OEM, Chinese, USA etc etc. These have differing capacities, safety and pricing so you need to find out which battery you are getting and do the research on that.

I'm sure the place that quoted 170k does not sell an OEM battery. If I were you I'd go with hybrid hub if these were the two options available. I saw some ads on ###### where some company called Dynamic Holdings had advertised Panasonic Japan batteries for FD3 at LKR 350000. I have no idea if these guys are legit or not though. 

When you are getting a battery, make sure to check the shelf life. If you get it through Stafford, they would order the battery based on the request. So there very little shelf life - only the time it takes to ship it to SL. Batteries that have sat around idle for long tend to lose their capacity quickly.

As for your question about replacement batteries, I am using a 2011 FD3. I replaced the battery via Sterling warranty back in 2014 and it's been running fine for 3.5 years now. And yes, the fuel figures do not change too much when you have a bad battery. But it gets annoying when it drains fast when you climb a mountain etc.

Once you change the battery, make sure the Battery Control Module software matches the battery. If not get it updated.

Edited by ramishkad

On 21/09/2017 at 0:51 PM, Goro said:

Not planing to keep the vehicle for a long time , and I don't want to sell the vehicle to someone with a faulty battery either. My car's usable capacity is probably around 15% and surprisingly it gives exact fuel economies like a one with a good battery. 20km/L in long distance. It's been this way for past 2 years. However charging cycles are more frequent as it drains quickly due to low capacity. So if I were to keep this I wouldn't change the battery now as it hasn't given much of a trouble yet.

It's a 2010 model with 60000km mileage. Anyone have experience with this place? https://kachybridbatteryclinic.net/  Website looks informative. They say they give 5yrs warranty. 

Did the IMA light and the check engine pop-up?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2017 at 8:43 PM, ramishkad said:

Do not go for cell replacement or grid charging solutions. They are temporary workarounds. There are various types of batteries for the FD3; OEM, Chinese, USA etc etc. These have differing capacities, safety and pricing so you need to find out which battery you are getting and do the research on that.

I'm sure the place that quoted 170k does not sell an OEM battery. If I were you I'd go with hybrid hub if these were the two options available. I saw some ads on ###### where some company called Dynamic Holdings had advertised Panasonic Japan batteries for FD3 at LKR 350000. I have no idea if these guys are legit or not though. 

When you are getting a battery, make sure to check the shelf life. If you get it through Stafford, they would order the battery based on the request. So there very little shelf life - only the time it takes to ship it to SL. Batteries that have sat around idle for long tend to lose their capacity quickly.

As for your question about replacement batteries, I am using a 2011 FD3. I replaced the battery via Sterling warranty back in 2014 and it's been running fine for 3.5 years now. And yes, the fuel figures do not change too much when you have a bad battery. But it gets annoying when it drains fast when you climb a mountain etc.

Once you change the battery, make sure the Battery Control Module software matches the battery. If not get it updated.

Thanks a lot for this useful info!  

• 7 months later...
On 21/09/2017 at 8:23 AM, Rumesh88 said:

How do I contact you....

On 20/09/2017 at 2:12 PM, Goro said:

Anyone here have experience with Hybrid battery replacement of a Honda Civic FD3 ? I'm looking for an alternative option other than agents as their price is ridiculously high (probably because of extended warranty period ).  HybridHub by Edirisinhe motors quoted 330k for a replacement and someone told me some other place near kohuwala does this for around 170k. (I can't exactly remember the name of this place, let me know if someone know such a place near kohuwala). If both of these companies doing the same procedure I'd go with later.   I've also heard some people had trouble later with the replaced battery when they get this done by much cheaper places. Anyways, can anyone recommend me a good place with a reasonable price? 

Hi.. contact Lahiru 0777214490 and check.