• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rear Drum Break Metal Rattle Sound(Tak-Tak) When Breaking

dhanuFB15

Dear Experts, 

My Allion 240 heard metal rattle sound like Taka taka, When breaking from left rear wheel. This occurred sudden after car service,

It heard only breaking, I saw this issue to mechanic and he clean drum and adjust break as well but problem exist same, then he inform me to replace rear hub will solve the problem. Any expert please comment what will be issue behind this, My concern is it happened just after servicing, and only heard when breaking, But i never feel any break issue as well

Highly Appreciate your  valuable comments   

Thanks

Same thing happened to me and is happening again on my Elite.

I have spent more than 25k trying to solve the problem. I replaced the drum and didn't solve the issue. 

The temporary solution is to adjust the parking brake. i.e. make it such that you have to pull the handle bit more higher.  Then observe if you get the noise. It's a Rs.200 job.

5 minutes ago, firstgear said:

Same thing happened to me and is happening again on my Elite.

I have spent more than 25k trying to solve the problem. I replaced the drum and didn't solve the issue. 

The temporary solution is to adjust the parking brake. i.e. make it such that you have to pull the handle bit more higher.  Then observe if you get the noise. It's a Rs.200 job.

What is the relationship with parking break,This sound heard not parking brake apply or release, but when i am driving and when brake apply it received left rear wheel.one guy told me drum over run or something i dont know what exactly 

1 hour ago, dhanuFB15 said:

What is the relationship with parking break,This sound heard not parking brake apply or release, but when i am driving and when brake apply it received left rear wheel.one guy told me drum over run or something i dont know what exactly 

Yes I understand your problem. And it's the same with me. There's no issue in parking brake, but when the adjustment varies it causes a noise when braking the normal brake. 

You can identify the problem more clearly if you tighten the parking brake to apply in 2 or 3 "kattas" as opposed to 4 or 5 "kattas". Then with little braking and sometimes with no braking at all that noise becomes prominent. 

14 hours ago, firstgear said:

Yes I understand your problem. And it's the same with me. There's no issue in parking brake, but when the adjustment varies it causes a noise when braking the normal brake. 

You can identify the problem more clearly if you tighten the parking brake to apply in 2 or 3 "kattas" as opposed to 4 or 5 "kattas". Then with little braking and sometimes with no braking at all that noise becomes prominent. 

Thanks Bro. I will check that scenario. Anyway i saw this issue to mechanics and he adjust rear break fully, but issue exist and he said need to replace rear hub bearing, Any comment plz

31 minutes ago, dhanuFB15 said:

Thanks Bro. I will check that scenario. Anyway i saw this issue to mechanics and he adjust rear break fully, but issue exist and he said need to replace rear hub bearing, Any comment plz

Compare the noise when cruising at 60 kmph and apply brake to reduce speed to 50 and  when cruising at say 15 kmph and reduce speed to 5. If you get this noise only at low speeds, let the car run at or below 15 kmph on a empty flat road for about 500m and check if you get an ABS alarm. If you get an alarm, it could be the wheel sensor on one of the wheels. If so mechanic's advice to change the hub is correct. Post your observations.

3 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

Compare the noise when cruising at 60 kmph and apply brake to reduce speed to 50 and  when cruising at say 15 kmph and reduce speed to 5. If you get this noise only at low speeds, let the car run at or below 15 kmph on a empty flat road for about 500m and check if you get an ABS alarm. If you get an alarm, it could be the wheel sensor on one of the wheels. If so mechanic's advice to change the hub is correct. Post your observations.

@Rumesh88 Thanks for your comment. In my case,  I get the noise only at low speeds as you suggested. But I do not get the noise always. I get it only when the wheels are hot.  And I don't get abs alarm (my car has abs). Should the hub be changed only if the abs alarm is triggered?

43 minutes ago, firstgear said:

@Rumesh88 Thanks for your comment. In my case,  I get the noise only at low speeds as you suggested. But I do not get the noise always. I get it only when the wheels are hot.  And I don't get abs alarm (my car has abs). Should the hub be changed only if the abs alarm is triggered?

Rear wheel sensor comes built into the hub. That is why if that's faulty you need to replace the whole hub. But you need to be sure of that. If you can get the car scanned you can read the stored codes. If a wheel sensor is indicated in stored codes then it is a good sign that that particular sensor is on its way out. Other thing is sometimes our maka basses tend to permanently bypass alarm indications on the dashboard. Please keep that in mind too. Then you wouldn't know even if an alarm appears.

Another thing you can do is to keep applying brake very lightly lightly from a speed of about 40 kmph until the car comes to a stop over a distance of about 100m. Then you can observe if the noise occurs below a certain speed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

@Rumesh88 Thanks for valuable information. According to my observation it heard me speed below 40 kmph. I am not frequently high speed runner and i start heard that around 40kmph to 0 kmph when apply break. Another import thing that i pointed out from your reply was ABS alarm. Ya, i remember 3 times i received ABS alarm, but not recently as well as  before this brake noise issue start ,when i am in traffic and frequently touch break on that time , But after  stop engine and start ABS light gone off. 

Currently i thing ABS has no issue because when i start car ABS light blink and off initially 

And another thing Mr rumesh. 

mechanic jack the issued wheel and move freely when checking process. That time i heard one small tak and not after, He move several times but not heard any sound after. 

Any how i will follow ur process and re check it again, Ur feedback is highly appreciate 

3 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

Rear wheel sensor comes built into the hub. That is why if that's faulty you need to replace the whole hub. But you need to be sure of that. If you can get the car scanned you can read the stored codes. If a wheel sensor is indicated in stored codes then it is a good sign that that particular sensor is on its way out. Other thing is sometimes our maka basses tend to permanently bypass alarm indications on the dashboard. Please keep that in mind too. Then you wouldn't know even if an alarm appears.

Another thing you can do is to keep applying brake very lightly lightly from a speed of about 40 kmph until the car comes to a stop over a distance of about 100m. Then you can observe if the noise occurs below a certain speed. 

Thanks @Rumesh88 I will follow ur process and let you know