• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wulfhunter

Question

Hi all

Need an advice on buying my first car. Just a brief intro about me, i currently rice a Jade 250cc m.bike. My first bike was a Honda Spada 250, hence the reasons to some of my options which o looked at. 

The car details. 

1. Price- maximum 1.8/1.9 mn unfortunate.

2. Travel area- mostly negombo, gampaha, nugegoda, homagama etc. 

3. Fuel economy- can be managed, nothing horrendous. 

4. And yes i like to go fast. :)

5. Options (which i thought are good)- ck1/2, eg8, proton gen 2, Peugeot 406.

So please do advise me, and if you can offer better options than those i don't mind. 

Thanks in advance!!

15 answers to this question

I said the 406 is NOT the sportiest of cars. Its pretty much a comfy barge :)

If you can find a SPORTS variant of the Familia you might like it...its not that bland. But you have to accept the fact that cars from a each era look quite similar and has the same blandness. In each era there would be only one or two cars that actually go against the norm, especially in the segment of cars you are looking at. Are you sure the 1st gen basic/standard Imprezza is out of your budget ? Not any of the converted ones but a standard one. If it is out of your budget you probably can thank the conversion hungry kids for that :D How about a Ceres or Marino (hopefully with the 4A-FE engine) ? 

Since you have driven only for 6 hours...are you sure you want to spend that much money and buy a car ? Perhaps you should look at something a bit smaller and older and get to know about cars and be a bit more experienced driving one ? Driving in SL is quite tricky and you are bound to get dings and scratches and perhaps a car that stretches your entire budget might not be the best of things to do ? You can find box lancers, P70 series Starlets, E80/90 Corollas (if not the sedan perhaps something like a Corolla II/Tercel coupe with the turbo charged engine and popup lights ?)  In fact ask J or C (who ever your friend might be) if Dinesh Hendsman's (a well known restorer and collector of classics) AE81 Corolla is still there.

Then there are B12 Sunnae/Sunnies (whatever the plural of Sunny is...there were a few coupe's one was a NISMO package and RZ-1s for sale) for a lot less. 

These cars are simple so if you are in to the whole motor mechanics thing you can do basic repairs and maintenance yourself and will be a good platform for you to learn some skills. Also, these cars are relatively smaller, lighter and has pretty decent visibility too unlike some of the later models with high bootlids and low driver positions, etc...also parts are relatively cheap if and when that ding or two does happen.

Well....how experienced are you in driving a car ? As a newbie something like a 406 might be too big of a car. Also, it is not the most sportiest ride.

Finding an unmolested and riced up Lancer or Civic is easier said than done. But they are out there if you are patient and look around. Of the two the Civic is def the sportier ride.

Have you considered something like an old Imprezza or a Legacy ? They might be towards the upper end of your budget though.

The Mazda Familiar could be another option. Especially if you can find the Sport variant (there are a few around and there were two i think..that were for sale).

Edited by iRage

I wouldn't be so quick to discount the 406. Although it is a very comfortable car indeed, it will also be the most fun to drive of any of the choices in your budget because the chassis really is superbly set up. (If everything is in good condition of course). And if you get a 2.0 Litre version it will have more than enough speed as well. The downside is that fuel consumption will be in the 6-7 range and the electrics are a bit fragile but in my opinion the plus points more than make up for it.

Hi irage.

Thank you very much for your reply. 

Driving cars? Apart from 6 hours, none. Lol

And 406 sportiest as in?

As for finding a vehicle, the owner of carchecks is my friend so he will do the whole rigmarole.:)

As for the impreza or legacy way out of my budget bro.

And  the familia, for some reason i don't seem to like of it. Seems way too bland. 

Ah my bad on the 406. :)

Well check out the familia shorts version. Though i don't think i saw anything like that.  With regards to the subaru in fact the were basic models, buuut they were all converted it seems, all above 2Mn. Besides i was under the impression that subaru is horrendous on fuel mileage, so correct me if I'm wrong. The ceres is something interesting, will check that up.

I have to get a "proper" vehicle for 3 reasons. 1. For the purpose of work it has to be something newer and things like that. 2.My fiancee will be driving the damned thing also, and yes she's been driving way before me. 3. Since i have to go for a lease getting one of the older vehicles will be problematic, like the b12 sunnies and the others. The corolla II/ tercel seems okay though.

My friend is J, and of the list i gave him he did say that the ck1 is the better of the lot. Need to ask him about the ceres.

Aha ! See that changes the equation a bit...especially the lease component. 

The Civic would be the more funner car to drive. However most of these Civics have gone through the hands of the ricer boys and have been molested in some sort of manner. You will have the same issue with the Ceres/Marino. the Ceres/Marino has the same mechanical internals as the E100 Corolla  so engine parts are easy to come by. Same can't be said about the body and interior parts though. The Corolla II/Tercel GP Turbo is hard to come by and also not sure how it would work with the leasing as the car is pretty old.

I would not recommend a B14 series Sunny even to my worst enemy and the B15 is out of your budget. That leaves the E100 Corolla sedan but those things are over priced and then again considering the people who have owned them finding a car without an abusive past would be tough.

The CK1...well...personally i don't see much to write home about with it especially with the 1.3L engine. Not sure how good it will be when it comes to performance; might be economical being stuck in traffic but might be a bit thirsty trying to zip around outside of traffic and city limits. Perhaps the 1.5L will be a better choice ? 

I think CK2 is in your range.. CK1 -1300cc will not give you expected power. Galant petrol 2000cc engine got the power as well as decent+sport look. If you want to sporty more than that Nissan Preasea will be the option. But it is not powerful as Galant.

If you don't consider fuel go for galant... it is fun to ride, not much on the road and trouble free car with heavy strcuture.

16 minutes ago, Alisha Hessle said:

According to me you should go with HONDA VEZEL 2017 which is worth of 7,225,000. Check out is image:

honda-vezel-a12247d.thumb.jpg.be7296d197e08397851c88acf629964a.jpg

OP has clearly mentioned his max budget is 1.8-1.9 mn. How on earth he supposed to get this and why?

16 hours ago, hrm said:

Don't know how above post came under my name. :o  I never commented about alto.

no machan -  she quoted you and then typed her answer there.

Is it me or does Alisha sound like a cross between a budget-version of Siri and an agent from A*W ???

• Like 1