• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mercedes-Benz S320 1999

dilshant80

Question

I presently own a Toyota Aqua and saw a s320 1999 model advertised with the attached spec. It is a "301-" vehicle. It kind of caught my curiosity as whether to replace my Aqua with this. However the interior leather seats are cracked and I guess that needs to be reupholstered, but does it make sense to buy this vehicle given its 18 years old as well? Please no jokes or insults. This is a genuine request. My main concerns are comfort and vehicle maintainability. Thanks in advance!

Image 6.jpg

10 answers to this question

How much of a "car nut"/"petrol head" are you ?

Leather seats can always be redone....however:

The car is going to require pampering and a lot of TLC like a new born baby (or a labrador...those things are very very needy as well). You can source parts locally through the agents; but it will cost you dearly, so you will have to buy/order it abroad and bring it down yourself and little niggles will have to be taken care of asap without letting them escalate (and these things will have little niggles as they have all these funky gadgets that can have small bouts of temper tantrums). 

So when it comes to maintenance..if you are expecting a car that you can just pump petrol and use and do an oil change now and then like the Aqua; then give it to a garage when something comes up and have them replace parts from Panchi...then DON'T BUY THIS.

If you are a complete and utter car nut and think that

- spending hours on ebay looking for parts is the best use of your online time

- spending time at garages/auto-spas gently massaging your car in to good health is joyful and therapeutic

- a car breaking down is away to emotionally connect with your ride...

then buy all means buy it .

In fact, the very fact that you are wondering about maintenance shows that you are probably not going to fully appreciate the car.

Sorry to be negative...but just putting it out there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

Valid point. I am more the "just pump petrol and use and do an oil change now and then like the Aqua; then give it to a garage when something comes up and have them replace parts from Panchi" as you mentioned! :D So maybe I should just stick to them Toyotas!

:)...well hate to break it to you..but most modern Toyotas and other Japanese brands are quite fussy as well...the whole pump petrol and change oil every blue moon and use till you drop days of Japanese cars have faded away.

10 minutes ago, iRage said:

How much of a "car nut"/"petrol head" are you ?

Leather seats can always be redone....however:

The car is going to require pampering and a lot of TLC like a new born baby (or a labrador...those things are very very needy as well). You can source parts locally through the agents; but it will cost you dearly, so you will have to buy/order it abroad and bring it down yourself and little niggles will have to be taken care of asap without letting them escalate (and these things will have little niggles as they have all these funky gadgets that can have small bouts of temper tantrums). 

So when it comes to maintenance..if you are expecting a car that you can just pump petrol and use and do an oil change now and then like the Aqua; then give it to a garage when something comes up and have them replace parts from Panchi...then DON'T BUY THIS.

If you are a complete and utter car nut and think that

- spending hours on ebay looking for parts is the best use of your online time

- spending time at garages/auto-spas gently massaging your car in to good health is joyful and therapeutic

- a car breaking down is away to emotionally connect with your ride...

then buy all means buy it .

In fact, the very fact that you are wondering about maintenance shows that you are probably not going to fully appreciate the car.

Sorry to be negative...but just putting it out there. 

Thank you iRage. Your reply was not negative at all but very realistic indeed. Always loved to own a merc but given their high prices, I have to resort to a old model, but given your feedback, I think its best I stick to my Aqua and maybe if I win the lottery, go for a brand new merc :)

Edited by dilshant80
quoted post

Just now, iRage said:

I don't mean to turn you off from Mercs...they are nice cars. However, they do require a lot of dedication/commitment from its owners.

Valid point. I am more the "just pump petrol and use and do an oil change now and then like the Aqua; then give it to a garage when something comes up and have them replace parts from Panchi" as you mentioned! :D So maybe I should just stick to them Toyotas!

26 minutes ago, ajm said:

unless you are genuinely into cars and mechanics these cars are not for the Prius,Acqua,Fit crowd who consider driving as passionless transport from point A to B.

Everyone else was polite yet you choose to insult me? TBH I don't really care about your feedback.

40 minutes ago, dilshant80 said:

Everyone else was polite yet you choose to insult me? TBH I don't really care about your feedback.

@dilshant80 he was not insulting you FGS. It was just a general comment. Pls do not start unnecessary fights in this forum!