• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer EX vs Civic FD4

alpha17

Question

Hello guys,

Yeah I have been planning to buy a car for about 3 years,but gave first place to family expenses and higher education.Finally I decided to move on during the next few months to a new ride.My good old 121 is still serving me without letting me down but I think I had her enough(5+ yrs).

Finally I narrowed down my search list to these two babes,the Ex and Fd4 as both of them are in the reachable price bracket.Previously had the idea for a 3rd gen prius but it is useless as I only do less than 1000kms per month.So my requirements are these.

1.Should be comfortable on long journeys.I might have to travel to places like Jaffna and Matara once or twice in a month.

2.Stability in speeds over 100 as I had to  maintain such a speed speacially when travelling to jaffna.

3.Interior space both front and rear.

4.Fuel economy is not a main priority.I have an extreme light foot most of the times??.But if someone can give exact fuel figures I would be glad.

5.Should have a bit of soul in it???.A bit of handling and oomph

Yet to drive both of them as they are very rare in our area.The problems that I have are

1.Does the Ex feels underpowered due to its 1500cc engine and 1200+kg weight?Also the 1600cc variant is rare and exceeds my budget.

2.I've heard the Fd series is not comfortable on long journeys and has stiffer suspension.Is it true?If someone who had driven both the fd4 and 121 can give me an advice that would be much valuable.

I dumped the Axio because everyone has it and handles worse than the 121.Allion and Premio,again overpriced and common.But I would love to own a 240 series Allion on a Premio with 1800cc,but rarity and 100k+ kms milege keeps myself away.

So i hope you guys will help me to make a good decision.Also any other choices are welcome.Thanks

Like Davy said you'll be able to find many Lancer and Civic related threads in the forum :) 

Anyways looking at your requirements I'd say both cars fit the bill perfectly. 

I've driven both cars and neither of them is as comfortable as an Allion or a Premio - even a CS series Lancer feels comfier. But these are in their own league when it comes to handling and "oomph" :D 

If I were you Id' go for the Lancer - reasons OTOH are:

Lancer:

The better - looking one among the two (looks are subjective though)

Many Lancer EXs are still with their first owners and are being serviced by the agent so you can verify the mileage via the agent -( you can find all information up to the last service done by the agent even if it's not being maintained by the agent anymore )

Better ground clearance (165mm vs 150mm)

A rare sight on roads - Civic FD1, FD3, FD4 all looks the same and collectively there are many civics on the roads than the Lancers.

Agent support, workshop network around the country

FD4 :

Not as rare as the EX so finding a one in good nick should be easier ( I mean, near your area. You won't have to travel a long way just to inspect the vehicle)

Dashboard looks better (again, subjective) 

P.S. come to think of it, I'd buy the Lancer anyways. It's a Lancer after all. 

• Like 2

You might want to look at the mazda 3/ axela bk or even a 2011 Bl if you can stretch your budget.

I have driven all three plus your old car. (ex 1.6, fd4, bk 1.5, and 121)

My personal view is this ;
Ride quality low speed city - ex > 121 > Mazda3 = Fd

Ride quality outstation - Ex > Mazda 3 = civic > 121

Handling - Mazda 3 > ex = civic > 121

Features - Mazda 3 > lancer > civic

Driving pleasure (highly controversial subject :D) - Mazda 3 > civic > lancer > 121

Economy - 121 > ex =Mazda 3 >fd

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davy said:

Already discussed. Search the forum!

Also the BRATT thread if you want info about the EX

Civic FD threads:

Also:

I read the bratt thread.thanks for the other ones.

5 minutes ago, The Stig said:

You might want to look at the mazda 3/ axela bk or even a 2011 Bl if you can stretch your budget.

I have driven all three plus your old car. (ex 1.6, fd4, bk 1.5, and 121)

My personal view is this ;
Ride quality low speed city - ex > 121 > Mazda3 = Fd

Ride quality outstation - Ex > Mazda 3 = civic > 121

Handling - Mazda 3 > ex = civic > 121

Features - Mazda 3 > lancer > civic

Driving pleasure (highly controversial subject :D) - Mazda 3 > civic > lancer > 121

Economy - 121 > ex =Mazda 3 >fd

Thanks bro.This type of answer is what I expected.So it seems like the EX ticks all the boxes.So does the lancer soaks up the bumps and handles the pot holes pretty well??one of my friend called and told me that another friend of him got an EX recently.I will go and drive it and share my opinion asap.

The problem I dumped mazda is the lack of leg space and ground clearance.Anyway a I love the BL one,but its extremely rare.

Edited by DhoRK

Thanks bro.This type of answer is what I expected.So it seems like the EX ticks all the boxes.So does the lancer soaks up the bumps and handles the pot holes pretty well??one of my friend called and told me that another friend of him got an EX recently.I will go and drive it and share my opinion asap.

It's good but slightly firmer than your 121, however the seats have softer padding than the rest so shouldn't be too much of an issue.

city ride quality is helped because of the wider wheels and independent rear.

• Thanks 1

Ride both the FD and EX and the end of the day it will be a personal choice. Personally I found the EX rather plasticy inside just like all other Mitsubishis. Somehow the FD feels a lot more refined. A colleague of mine got one brand new and we used to travel to Hambanthota quite a lot in it. The noise becomes very very annoying after sometime.

2 hours ago, iRage said:

The noise becomes very very annoying after sometime.

This I agree - the Lancers engine noise is very audible inside the cabin compared to the FD4. Road noise creeps in too.

These vids will give you an idea - real experience is somewhat similar.

Edited by Jor-el

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Ride both the FD and EX and the end of the day it will be a personal choice. Personally I found the EX rather plasticy inside just like all other Mitsubishis. Somehow the FD feels a lot more refined. A colleague of mine got one brand new and we used to travel to Hambanthota quite a lot in it. The noise becomes very very annoying after sometime.

Again I'm confused.???.Usually I do less than 1000km per month and 90% are based on outstation,outstation means places like Jaffna,Matara,Anuradhapura etc..So lancer has better economy,suspension and as a minus point an unrefined ride.I dunno.I'm gonna find and test them both in order to make a better decision.

1 hour ago, Jor-el said:

This I agree - the Lancers engine noise is very audible inside the cabin compared to the FD4. Road noise creeps in too.

These vids will give you an idea - real experience is somewhat similar.

Oh damn!!!!the engine noise of the lancer????.Man I would be deafened if I race it to nuwara eliya????.Now I'm a bit leaning towards fd4.

32 minutes ago, Jor-el said:

ha ha, enjoy

OMG the driving!!!!and the driver repeats the fact that it is bumpy.man i wonder how a corolla would handle on the same road??.Anyway I gonna focus on the fd4.Thanks for the video.I really enjoyed watching the brutal drive

Edited by DhoRK

On 8/17/2017 at 9:19 AM, kush said:

Look at Corolla 141 plenty of them around with low mileages if you look hard, more comfortable than EX, handling 95% of Ex, same economy, engine more willing at high speeds.

141-common,less power,lacks options

12 hours ago, Jor-el said:

Quoted and deleted? you piqued my curiosity! what did your post say? :blink:

Well I initially thought that the Lancer in that video was a CVT and commented based on that but later realized it may not be a CVT. Coz CVTs scream the hell out of you when floored so the sound would be some what normal if it is the case. However Lancers have a little less noise insulation as per Internet so..

Edited by hrm

Excellent comparison but I thought, this one should be 
Features - Mazda 3 > Civic > Lancer 

Well I thought the lancer was ahead of the civic for a couple of reasons, it has projector headlamps on gls trim with afs.
And Rockford fosgate sound system on some cars.

Finally made up my mind for the FD4.bit easier to find a one with low mileage for less than 4mil.also heard that hondas are pretty solid and reliable.

Anyway i want to know about these little things.i know the Fd1 have them.

-does the fd4 has reading/map lights?

-and tweeters on the dashboard?

7 hours ago, The Stig said:

Well I thought the lancer was ahead of the civic for a couple of reasons, it has projector headlamps on gls trim with afs.
And Rockford fosgate sound system on some cars.

Well i think the mazda 3 1st gen got all the bells and whistles enough to compete with the next-gen Axio.Only 2 things that axio got over the mazda are the push start and that safty sense c.

Mazda also got the bose audio system in some higher end models.But the interior space keeps me dragging away from it.

Edited by DhoRK

12 minutes ago, DhoRK said:

Finally made up my mind for the FD4.bit easier to find a one with low mileage for less than 4mil.also heard that hondas are pretty solid and reliable.

Anyway i want to know about these little things.i know the Fd1 have them.

-does the fd4 has reading/map lights?

-and tweeters on the dashboard?

FD1 have them, FD3 have them , so I think FD4s should have them too.

Btw, go for the facelifted version (2009 and up models that have round fog lamps+ squarish tail lamps)  

8 hours ago, Goro said:

FD1 have them, FD3 have them , so I think FD4s should have them too.

Btw, go for the facelifted version (2009 and up models that have round fog lamps+ squarish tail lamps)  

Fd4 is kinda base version.Fd3 got more options than the fd4.Fd4 even got those black coloured inner door handles,which gives a more plasticy look.But still the fd4's interior looks well put together than the Ex.

Now my mind is between FD1 and FD4.???Fd4 less options.Fd1 less economy.I only drive the car on weekends,therefore my dad is the one who does 90% of driving.We do only about 500-600kms per month.But mostly its dad who fills up the tank.I dunno i'm confused.