• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suggestions for an upgrade from crossover to SUV

zeristo

Question

Hello friends,

I have been mulling on the idea of upgrading from my current car. I currently own a Honda Vezel hybrid 2015. As of now I have no serious issues with the car, just that I need more space for my family and our bags. Also since I live in the up country region, I feel the vezel is seriously underpowered when loaded on the hilly roads. 

My budget is upto a maximum of 14m and I'm looking for an SUV a class above Vezel. And strictly not a hybrid that would be reluctant to carry load around the hills.

Thanks.

Hello, If you have budget upto 14 mil, I would suggest Kia Sorento 2016 as a option which will cater all your requirements. This is Diesel/7 seater and will all other fully SUV functions. You should be able to buy a good one in second hand market with the remaining warranty for 12 - 13 mil. 

4 hours ago, Don Shan said:

Hello, If you have budget upto 14 mil, I would suggest Kia Sorento 2016 as a option which will cater all your requirements. This is Diesel/7 seater and will all other fully SUV functions. You should be able to buy a good one in second hand market with the remaining warranty for 12 - 13 mil. 

Thanks DON SHAN but I'm looking for a new unregistered car. 

Well....the way the industry is going the only proper SUVs are the likes of the Pajero, Prado, Fortuner, Montero Sport, etc...the Pajero and the Prado are out of your budget..but if you can stretch your budget a bit more you might be able to bag a bnew Fortuner or Montero Sport (gasoline variants). Not so sure about the new Montero Sport but the new Fortuner has come quite far in terms of refinement. However, the ride is still a bit bouncy compared to a Prado, mainly because of the truck chassis (although they have made significant improvements).

Other than what you get are slightly larger crossovers. I believe you might be able to find a Harrier as well for that price range (might be 2WD though), then like Don Shan mentioned a few Koreans are around. Apart from that...well the RAV4/vanguard are no more...Vitara has gotten as small (and hideous)...

It strikes me that for the equivalent amount in the US or the UK you'd be able to afford the top of the range GLE class Benz or Range Rover velar or an Audi Sq7.

Ah well...The government needs the moolah, I guess.

If it were up to me I'd give the Harrier and the latest BMW X3 some thought. 

It strikes me that for the equivalent amount in the US or the UK you'd be able to afford the top of the range GLE class Benz or Range Rover velar or an Audi Sq7.
Ah well...The government needs the moolah, I guess.
If it were up to me I'd give the Harrier and the latest BMW X3 some thought. 

What didn't strike you was the fact that you would be paying almost the cars value in insurance. Road taxes, Massive maintenance bills and huge depreciations that are unheard of in this country.

18 hours ago, iRage said:

Well....the way the industry is going the only proper SUVs are the likes of the Pajero, Prado, Fortuner, Montero Sport, etc...the Pajero and the Prado are out of your budget..but if you can stretch your budget a bit more you might be able to bag a bnew Fortuner or Montero Sport (gasoline variants). Not so sure about the new Montero Sport but the new Fortuner has come quite far in terms of refinement. However, the ride is still a bit bouncy compared to a Prado, mainly because of the truck chassis (although they have made significant improvements).

Other than what you get are slightly larger crossovers. I believe you might be able to find a Harrier as well for that price range (might be 2WD though), then like Don Shan mentioned a few Koreans are around. Apart from that...well the RAV4/vanguard are no more...Vitara has gotten as small (and hideous)...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INSIGHT, AFTER MUCH CONTEMPLATION I HAVE SORT OF NARROWED MY LIST TO THE FOLLOWING

1. TOYOTA HARRIER

2. MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER

3. NISSAN XTRAIL

4. KIA SPORTAGE

5. HONDA CRV

ALL OF WHICH I'VE CONSIDERED THE GASOLINE VERSION ONLY.

WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF ANY CURRENT OWNERS OF THESE CARS COULD GIVE A HEADS UP REGARDING THEM.

*EXCUSE THE CAPS, KEYBOARD GONE CRAZY*

you can go for a Prado, fuel is not that great but plenty of space in the car.  power full engine. off road capabilities and comfortable as well. 

Land Cruiser Prado 2015 16m  ithink but u can find one for 14m :) 

prado 120

Toyota harriar 2014

fortuner

go for a powerfull suv since u had a hybrid before 

Edited by nisala4423

22 minutes ago, nisala4423 said:

you can go for a Prado, fuel is not that great but plenty of space in the car.  power full engine. off road capabilities and comfortable as well. 

Land Cruiser Prado 2015 16m  ithink but u can find one for 14m :) 

prado 120

Toyota harriar 2014

fortuner

go for a powerfull suv since u had a hybrid before 

He wants an unregistered one...so some of those might be a bit hard to find within his budget.

Also, it a mistake to compare your average Aqua, Prius, Axio, Fit, Vezel, CHR type Hybrids with a full size-cross over like the Harrier or an X-Trail. These come with (well the Harrier) quite potent engines than your average little Hybrid. They typically have pretty large engines anyway that has some decent kick to it. Actually, if you take the X-Trail the Hybrid variant has a bit more better because the gasoline only variant is a little bit too under powered.

Granted the new Hybrids like the CHR and new gen Prius have come quite a long way and are pretty decent in the power department for its size.

Edited by iRage

Thanks for the info guys. I have finally made my mind to consider buying the new 2017 Toyota Harrier. 

So I was wondering if I could get the 2000cc petrol  or the 2490cc hybrid version. I had been inquiring around if it is possible to bring down a 2490cc hybrid on a permit but car dealers themselves arent sure since the car is above 2000cc but has tax concessions since its hybrid.

ANYONE HERE COULD EXPLAIN ME IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO IMPORT HYBRID CAR ABOVE 2000CC FOR PERMIT ? 

P.S. I had inquired with several dealers I know and they themselves didnt sound sure about it, and thats why I'm asking here.

THANKS.

8 hours ago, zeristo said:

Thanks for the info guys. I have finally made my mind to consider buying the new 2017 Toyota Harrier. 

So I was wondering if I could get the 2000cc petrol  or the 2490cc hybrid version. I had been inquiring around if it is possible to bring down a 2490cc hybrid on a permit but car dealers themselves arent sure since the car is above 2000cc but has tax concessions since its hybrid.

ANYONE HERE COULD EXPLAIN ME IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO IMPORT HYBRID CAR ABOVE 2000CC FOR PERMIT ? 

P.S. I had inquired with several dealers I know and they themselves didnt sound sure about it, and thats why I'm asking here.

THANKS.

New permits do not specify cc capacity or fuel/ type it is US$ 30k or US$ 40k CIF and duty concessions being 65% and 60% of total duty payable.

You can bring down the hybrid provided CIF as per custom valuation is less than US$ 40k

9 hours ago, zeristo said:

THANKS.

@zeristo there's no need to type in ALL CAPS. It is rude. It is the equivalent of yelling. If you need answers try to be bit polite and respect forum rules.

THANKS.

I always thought it depended on the type of permit. So you might want to explore that a bit...failing which I would say ask customs themselves. Surprisingly the customs guys are quite helpful when giving out information.

I guess you are looking at the Harrier for the luxurious factor ? Because if not..you also have options like the CX-5.

When you say you are buying a 2000cc petrol...which one ? Mid 2017 onwards there is a 2000cc NA gasoline variant as well as a 2000cc turbo petrol variant. The 2000cc NA petrol is pretty nice...but if the Turbo variant is anything like the NX200t then the Turbo variant will be a much livelier car to drive (the NX is a bit smaller than the Harrier but closest in weight to it..NX is about 100kg more than the Harrier. The Harrier is closest in size to the RX but the RX weighs about 200kg more than the Harrier)

The petrol and Hybrid variants are very relaxed and feels very low on torque at low revs...but if you do step on it the thing does move.I know two people who have the Hybrid variants (in Japan) and they claim they get 15 - 17 kmpl in a combined mode (well one gets one and the other gets the other...which probably attributes more to driving style and different locations they live in). In city driving they apparently get 10ish (but please keep in mind city driving in Japan would include driving on urban expressways/loop roads and such and the average speed of traffic in even in congested cities like Tokyo is like 21.5kmph..nearly double the speed of Colombo). So bottom line is don't expect 21kmpl in SL as the book says and expect a little bit less than the actual real world figures from Japan.

According to consumer reviews actual fuel consumption for the NA gasoline seems to be vary between 8 to 10 for pure city driving (again in Japan and would depend on the city). The Turbo is still too new for people to be reporting long term fuel figures...but the NX200t has the same engine and that apparently does around closer to 10 (which is not bad considering its rated at like 13kmpl). 

4 hours ago, kush said:

New permits do not specify cc capacity or fuel/ type it is US$ 30k or US$ 40k CIF and duty concessions being 65% and 60% of total duty payable.

You can bring down the hybrid provided CIF as per custom valuation is less than US$ 40k

@kushThank you for the info, I shall talk to the dealers regarding this matter of engine capacity not being a problem although fitting a hybrid version of the harrier within the USD 30k limit seems impossible for a new car.

4 hours ago, MADZ said:

@zeristo there's no need to type in ALL CAPS. It is rude. It is the equivalent of yelling. If you need answers try to be bit polite and respect forum rules.

@MADZ I'm sorry I wasn't aware of the caps = yelling thing. I'll make sure to cut out such typos here on. Kindly excuse me.

3 hours ago, iRage said:

I always thought it depended on the type of permit. So you might want to explore that a bit...failing which I would say ask customs themselves. Surprisingly the customs guys are quite helpful when giving out information.

I guess you are looking at the Harrier for the luxurious factor ? Because if not..you also have options like the CX-5.

When you say you are buying a 2000cc petrol...which one ? Mid 2017 onwards there is a 2000cc NA gasoline variant as well as a 2000cc turbo petrol variant. The 2000cc NA petrol is pretty nice...but if the Turbo variant is anything like the NX200t then the Turbo variant will be a much livelier car to drive (the NX is a bit smaller than the Harrier but closest in weight to it..NX is about 100kg more than the Harrier. The Harrier is closest in size to the RX but the RX weighs about 200kg more than the Harrier)

The petrol and Hybrid variants are very relaxed and feels very low on torque at low revs...but if you do step on it the thing does move.I know two people who have the Hybrid variants (in Japan) and they claim they get 15 - 17 kmpl in a combined mode (well one gets one and the other gets the other...which probably attributes more to driving style and different locations they live in). In city driving they apparently get 10ish (but please keep in mind city driving in Japan would include driving on urban expressways/loop roads and such and the average speed of traffic in even in congested cities like Tokyo is like 21.5kmph..nearly double the speed of Colombo). So bottom line is don't expect 21kmpl in SL as the book says and expect a little bit less than the actual real world figures from Japan.

According to consumer reviews actual fuel consumption for the NA gasoline seems to be vary between 8 to 10 for pure city driving (again in Japan and would depend on the city). The Turbo is still too new for people to be reporting long term fuel figures...but the NX200t has the same engine and that apparently does around closer to 10 (which is not bad considering its rated at like 13kmpl). 

@iRage when i meant 2000cc I meant the NA gasoline version since one dealer advised me that the 2000cc Turbo car cannot be brought down for permits. My usage is mostly around a maximum of 500km a month hence I'm not very bothered much by losing out on fuel efficiency figures from a hybrid. I shall look into it if I could bring down a turbo version as it sounds great from what I just read on the website. Thanks for your detailed info on this subject, even some dealers couldn't explain as in detail as you did. cheers.

4 hours ago, zeristo said:

@iRage when i meant 2000cc I meant the NA gasoline version since one dealer advised me that the 2000cc Turbo car cannot be brought down for permits. My usage is mostly around a maximum of 500km a month hence I'm not very bothered much by losing out on fuel efficiency figures from a hybrid. I shall look into it if I could bring down a turbo version as it sounds great from what I just read on the website. Thanks for your detailed info on this subject, even some dealers couldn't explain as in detail as you did. cheers.

Actually, if you are looking at a 30K USD permit then the only Harrier that would fit the permit value would be the 2L NA base variant (Elegance grade according to the Toyota website)...that too will be possible only if you don't get any of the fancy accessories. The lowest grade Turbo variant is about 30K USD starting price. So that might be why the car sales people said the Turbo won't be possible...Of course there are quite a few barely used ones around for the NA and Hybrid variants. Slightly used Turbo variants are bit harder to come by most of the ones I have seen come up are as expensive as a brand new one. The only used Turbo variants I have seen are a couple of demo units from dealerships.

On 8/28/2017 at 6:21 PM, iRage said:

Actually, if you are looking at a 30K USD permit then the only Harrier that would fit the permit value would be the 2L NA base variant (Elegance grade according to the Toyota website)...that too will be possible only if you don't get any of the fancy accessories. The lowest grade Turbo variant is about 30K USD starting price. So that might be why the car sales people said the Turbo won't be possible...Of course there are quite a few barely used ones around for the NA and Hybrid variants. Slightly used Turbo variants are bit harder to come by most of the ones I have seen come up are as expensive as a brand new one. The only used Turbo variants I have seen are a couple of demo units from dealerships.

@iRage Thanks for the heads up.

I finally came across a dealer through a facebook advert who explained the whole thing to me and actually said its possible to get a mid spec turbo harrier for USD 30k. Dunno if his words are that reliable. Anyways I'm gonna investigate further and fingers crossed i could get a turbo rather than the NA engine.

@iRage Thanks for the heads up.

I finally came across a dealer through a facebook advert who explained the whole thing to me and actually said its possible to get a mid spec turbo harrier for USD 30k. Dunno if his words are that reliable. Anyways I'm gonna investigate further and fingers crossed i could get a turbo rather than the NA engine.

Well..yes but no....

No because...if you buy a brand new car through an agent in Japan from a Toyota dealer in Japan then its going to be tough (see the base prices on the link below). It would depend on if the Toyota dealer in Japan is having any kind of promotion and price discount. Even then it will have to be the lowest grade with absolutely no optional accessories (only whatever the Toyota dealer in Japan would give for nothing). 

http://toyota.jp/harrier/grade/?padid=ag341_from_harrier_navi_grade

Yes because....sometimes at auction or at Toyota Japan dealerships you find the occasional barely used unit that are just around the 30K USD mark (usually about 300,000yen or so cheaper than the brand new list price). These units will typically have a few hundred kilo meters that were put on by dealerships after using the cars as display/demo/promotional units.

Also, yes because; in the past, I believe these government permits allowed a car's value to be up to 5000US$ or something like that above the 30,000USD permit value. So you can buy a car up to 35,000USD in price. The first 30,000 will be based on the permit's duty concession whilst the excess 5000USD will be subject to standard duty rates. I am not sure if this is still the case with these new permits.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Well..yes but no....

No because...if you buy a brand new car through an agent in Japan from a Toyota dealer in Japan then its going to be tough (see the base prices on the link below). It would depend on if the Toyota dealer in Japan is having any kind of promotion and price discount. Even then it will have to be the lowest grade with absolutely no optional accessories (only whatever the Toyota dealer in Japan would give for nothing). 

Yes because....sometimes at auction or at Toyota Japan dealerships you find the occasional barely used unit that are just around the 30K USD mark (usually about 300,000yen or so cheaper than the brand new list price). These units will typically have a few hundred kilo meters that were put on by dealerships after using the cars as display/demo/promotional units.

Also, yes because; in the past, I believe these government permits allowed a car's value to be up to 5000US$ or something like that above the 30,000USD permit value. So you can buy a car up to 35,000USD in price. The first 30,000 will be based on the permit's duty concession whilst the excess 5000USD will be subject to standard duty rates. I am not sure if this is still the case with these new permits.

Duty value will be based on custom validation which is more or less based on the prices on the official web sites less any local duty.

Price you purchase the car in Japan will not matter

No excesses allowed in the new permits

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Well..yes but no....

@iRage So one of the dealers i spoke to mentioned that a vehicle value of upto 4,200,000 yen could be calculated into the 30K permit since the valuation here is sans any taxes there and so on. It all sounds bizzare to me but if the guy could get it done, thats good for me.

1 hour ago, kush said:

Duty value will be based on custom validation which is more or less based on the prices on the official web sites less any local duty.

Price you purchase the car in Japan will not matter

No excesses allowed in the new permits

@kush Yeah exactly what i was telling above. price purchased there doesnt matter, if it fits in the valuation system here, alls good !

3 hours ago, zeristo said:

@iRage So one of the dealers i spoke to mentioned that a vehicle value of upto 4,200,000 yen could be calculated into the 30K permit since the valuation here is sans any taxes there and so on. It all sounds bizzare to me but if the guy could get it done, thats good for me.

@kush Yeah exactly what i was telling above. price purchased there doesnt matter, if it fits in the valuation system here, alls good !

Well...okay..so a complete tax free price of a 2WD Turbo Harrier is 3.1mil yen which comes to a little under 30K USD. 4WD is about 3.3 mil yen even without tax which is a few dollars over 30K USD. So you might be able to swing it. Too bad the yen has gotten strong..if it was a bit cheaper you might have been able to swing a AWD for the required value.

However the whole 4200000yen thing is interesting..that translates to about 37.500USD. How does that work out ? Where did that come from ? Also, I thought the customs valuation is either their valuation or what you paid for the car and is decided upon which one is higher. i.e. even if you get one for 10,000yen they will still value it at 3.1mil yen. but if you pay 4.2mil yen but the valuation is 3.1 mil yen you pay duty based on the 4.2mil yen...at least that is what it used t be..perhaps things have changed.  (EDIT: Okay..I just saw Kush's post...so they use a flat rate irrespective of the purchase price in Japan and void of any sales taxes in Japan...)

(EDIT 2: Are you sure its 4.2mil yen ? Perhaps he said 3.2mil yen because that roughly converts to 30,000USD which in turn converts to about 4.5 mil Rs.)

Anyway, hope you can trust the car dealer because he might tell you that the car is ordered directly from a Toyota dealership in JPN but in fact buy one of the slightly used demo units or something :) Even that would be fine as long as it is not a damaged unit :)

Edited by iRage

8 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...okay..so a complete tax free price of a 2WD Turbo Harrier is 3.1mil yen which comes to a little under 30K USD. 4WD is about 3.3 mil yen even without tax which is a few dollars over 30K USD. So you might be able to swing it. Too bad the yen has gotten strong..if it was a bit cheaper you might have been able to swing a AWD for the required value.

However the whole 4200000yen thing is interesting..that translates to about 37.500USD. How does that work out ? Where did that come from ? Also, I thought the customs valuation is either their valuation or what you paid for the car and is decided upon which one is higher. i.e. even if you get one for 10,000yen they will still value it at 3.1mil yen. but if you pay 4.2mil yen but the valuation is 3.1 mil yen you pay duty based on the 4.2mil yen...at least that is what it used t be..perhaps things have changed.  (EDIT: Okay..I just saw Kush's post...so they use a flat rate irrespective of the purchase price in Japan and void of any sales taxes in Japan...)

(EDIT 2: Are you sure its 4.2mil yen ? Perhaps he said 3.2mil yen because that roughly converts to 30,000USD which in turn converts to about 4.5 mil Rs.)

Anyway, hope you can trust the car dealer because he might tell you that the car is ordered directly from a Toyota dealership in JPN but in fact buy one of the slightly used demo units or something :) Even that would be fine as long as it is not a damaged unit :)

@iRage  So the dealer I mentioned earlier sent me a quote and man it was so confusing that I've decided to put and end to all this by just going directly to the customs with a permit and asking them which grade I can bring down from a list of quotes.

Thanks for your insight anyway. 

I'm done hearing alternative facts from different dealers. Time to take things on to my own hands now. Peace out.

11 hours ago, zeristo said:

@iRage  So the dealer I mentioned earlier sent me a quote and man it was so confusing that I've decided to put and end to all this by just going directly to the customs with a permit and asking them which grade I can bring down from a list of quotes.

Thanks for your insight anyway. 

I'm done hearing alternative facts from different dealers. Time to take things on to my own hands now. Peace out.

Probably the safest choice. These car dealers play all kinds of games of under valuing and false declarations to clear whatever they want. Most of the time it works out because they are "pals" with customs agents, etc. But the whole thing is at the buyer's risk. If their game doesn't play out they will pay the extra duties and penalties and then just simply pass the cost on to you.

All the best with the purchase.