• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Fit GP5 or Toyota Aqua

mnju1

Question

13 answers to this question

Looks, Power, Sportiness-GP5

Facelift to reach SL soon!

Comfort, smoothness, fuel economy- Aqua

Current Gen too old- 3rd facelift due soon- Maybe Oct Tokyo Motorshow.

Previously owned a GP1

Have driven both Aqua and GP5.

Aqua is a very logical choice but GP5 has the punch!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zeem35 said:

Looks, Power, Sportiness-GP5

Facelift to reach SL soon!

Comfort, smoothness, fuel economy- Aqua

Current Gen too old- 3rd facelift due soon- Maybe Oct Tokyo Motorshow.

Previously owned a GP1

Have driven both Aqua and GP5.

Aqua is a very logical choice but GP5 has the punch!

The facelift that was recently introduced (a month or so ago) was the 3rd facelift. Statement at the time was that the next generation Aqua will be out sometime next year. SO seriously doubt they will introduce a new facelift soon after releasing a facelift just a few months before.

Neither of this cars can be considered comfortable. However, the seats of the fit are a bit more body hugging and cozier. 

At the end of the day...both cars are decent with its own pros and cons...and it will depend on the buyer's taste :)

5 hours ago, iRage said:

The facelift that was recently introduced (a month or so ago) was the 3rd facelift. Statement at the time was that the next generation Aqua will be out sometime next year. SO seriously doubt they will introduce a new facelift soon after releasing a facelift just a few months before.

Neither of this cars can be considered comfortable. However, the seats of the fit are a bit more body hugging and cozier. 

At the end of the day...both cars are decent with its own pros and cons...and it will depend on the buyer's taste :)

Oops sorry guys I was talkin abt the third facelift. Completely forgot it was officially announced. I knew it 2 weeks prior to it. So the confusion.

5 hours ago, ShintaroX said:

I haven't had either car, but going by the interior and exterior of an aqua, I'd say it was most suitable for someone dead inside. No offense.

And @zeem35comfort in an aqua? It has about all the comfort of a boil on the bum.

Aqua is much better than Honda fit in softness.

End of the day as @iRage said. Buyers choice. 

GP1 and GP5 are both stiff!

Edited by zeem35

Having owned an Aqua and driven a GP5, here are my sincere observations for your information..

Aqua

Fantastic on fuel - tank avg is around 22, trip avg to Ratnapura 29.8, Galle highway 23.5, Kandy 26.3

comfort - not so much, rear is a bit cramped, front seats lack back support as with most Toyotas and this is a problem on long drives. This will make the chest area compressed while driving, amd has given me many aches and pains. (Im comparing to my Civic which is superbly comfortable)

visibility - a problem, you can neither see beyond the dashboard or behind for reversing. There are so many blind spots. My wife who is 5'1" finds it difficult to drive, and prefers to take my Civic instead.

build quality - mine has now done a but over 60k, already there are about 3-4 rattles in the interior which needs attention. But mechanically sound. 

Driving feel - better than I expected when bought. It is quite responsive at bends but with the right tyres. When not in eco mode, its got a bit of power to overtake as speed.

Versatility - luggage space is adequate but nothing to write home about, rear seats dont fold down flat

Fit

seats are more comfortable and has better back support

has Sport mode which makes it feel lively

fuel consumption is around 16-18 according to my friend, and around 20 on long journeys

blind spots - not as bad as the aqua, especially for reversing

build quality interior feels better put together with better plastics, mehanically no idea

versatility - has ample leg room even at the back and it feels spacious compared to the aqua. Even has magic seats

• Like 1

On 8/14/2017 at 8:14 PM, asrock said:

Consider the possible DCT issues as well.

is it true that 2013-2014 Gp5 units having aproblem in gearbox...one of my friend's  GP5 had gearbox problem after 40k service..& he spent about 375k to solve it..is it a common issue of this vehicle?

16 minutes ago, KDH <3 said:

is it true that 2013-2014 Gp5 units having aproblem in gearbox...one of my friend's  GP5 had gearbox problem after 40k service..& he spent about 375k to solve it..is it a common issue of this vehicle?

it's the DCT issue I guess. GP5, Grace, Vezel all have the same setup. This was not designed with the hellish driving conditions of Sri Lanka in mind. Suggestion is to change the Oil at more regular intervals than manufacturer recommendations. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matroska said:

it's the DCT issue I guess. GP5, Grace, Vezel all have the same setup. This was not designed with the hellish driving conditions of Sri Lanka in mind. Suggestion is to change the Oil at more regular intervals than manufacturer recommendations. 

is there any method to check these vehicles before buying?

Actually it’s not a common issue , it’s very rare. There so many Honda vehicles on the road with this gearbox. This has been so many times in the forum. As matroska stated , the stop and go traffic and the climate in Sri Lanka are at fault for this. However one can overcome this issue if you treat the gearbox as a dct and not as a conventional auto. Never let the car “inch” on its own in traffic. Always press the gas peddle even when vehicle wants to move slightly forward. What happens in when you let it inch on its own , the clutch is not fully engaged , causing more wear and tear and heating up the transmission. When you press the gas it’s fully engaged and there is no slipping. Even this , it’s a very rare occurrence. 

13 hours ago, TheFlyingFox said:

Actually it’s not a common issue , it’s very rare. There so many Honda vehicles on the road with this gearbox. This has been so many times in the forum. As matroska stated , the stop and go traffic and the climate in Sri Lanka are at fault for this. However one can overcome this issue if you treat the gearbox as a dct and not as a conventional auto. Never let the car “inch” on its own in traffic. Always press the gas peddle even when vehicle wants to move slightly forward. What happens in when you let it inch on its own , the clutch is not fully engaged , causing more wear and tear and heating up the transmission. When you press the gas it’s fully engaged and there is no slipping. Even this , it’s a very rare occurrence. 

I wouldn't call it rare. Honda themselves issued 3 recalls for their early (around 2014) DCT units on the Vezel, Grace and Fit. There's so much discussion online and even here on the forum as well where members have had issues. Given that pretty much all Vezels and Fits in the country are grey imports, they would definitely be affected by this recall and no way to get them fixed. So the issue should be common in the country.

However, newer cars seem to be having these issues rectified. So as long as the car is not affected by any of these DCT recalls, you should be OK. So considering the DCT issues as @asrock said is a valid advice.

The overheating error message on the other hand is not due to an issue with the transmission, but due to the very hellish driving conditions in Sri Lanka as @matroska correctly mentioned. Unlike many performance cars that have wet clutches, Honda's DCT has dry clutches which has limited capability to dissipate heat. Constant acceleration, braking, cutting others off and being cut off by busses and three wheeler drives causes the transmission to shift back and forth all the time. The (dry) clutches in turn heat up and the error message pops up in the dashboard. I've heard many people suggest driving in L gear in traffic to prevent the transmission from shifting up and thereby reduce clutch operation. While that maybe a workaround, the country's general population just needs to learn to drive properly. :) 

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

Didn't the agent do some software upgrade for recalled vehicles. I can remember when i bought my Vezel in early 2015 they did a scan and said my vehicle software version does not have the issue.

According to the agent, Honda Vezels of 2014 only a very few serviced by them run without clutch issues after a mileage of 80K. However i do not have the facts to back their claim

1 hour ago, Davy said:

I wouldn't call it rare. Honda themselves issued 3 recalls for their early (around 2014) DCT units on the Vezel, Grace and Fit. There's so much discussion online and even here on the forum as well where members have had issues. Given that pretty much all Vezels and Fits in the country are grey imports, they would definitely be affected by this recall and no way to get them fixed. So the issue should be common in the country.

However, newer cars seem to be having these issues rectified. So as long as the car is not affected by any of these DCT recalls, you should be OK. So considering the DCT issues as @asrock said is a valid advice.

The overheating error message on the other hand is not due to an issue with the transmission, but due to the very hellish driving conditions in Sri Lanka as @matroska correctly mentioned. Unlike many performance cars that have wet clutches, Honda's DCT has dry clutches which has limited capability to dissipate heat. Constant acceleration, braking, cutting others off and being cut off by busses and three wheeler drives causes the transmission to shift back and forth all the time. The (dry) clutches in turn heat up and the error message pops up in the dashboard. I've heard many people suggest driving in L gear in traffic to prevent the transmission from shifting up and thereby reduce clutch operation. While that maybe a workaround, the country's general population just needs to learn to drive properly. :) 

Actually why they recalled was due a software programming error when the FIT/Vezel was launched in 2013. vehicles were recalled and whatever they could fix with software they fixed and the rest they replaced the gearbox (beyond repair due to the software problem). I recall some people who wrote the software was sacked at that time. after 2014 its purely the climate condition/traffic in SL which affects these trannies. More than the gear oil, changing the clutch oil regularly might be a better bet as the clutch is the culprit for these issues. And yes overall the general population needs to drive properly :D 

Invain I just adored the DCT gearbox in the fit, nothing comes close in terms of driving dynamics specially with a set of paddle shifters. I used a GP5 for almost 2 years and had ~50k when I sold it, mind you a 2013 model which was recalled, I know a lot of people who use cars with this gearbox and never heard of this problem, sometimes word of mouth also goes around like a fire, you might not call it rare but its not common either. I just feel sorry as it is such a good gearbox and fitted to a car which the majority can afford. 

Edited by TheFlyingFox