• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Grace Gearbox question

trex

The grace shares a 7 speed dual clutch gb with the fit and vezel. There were reports on the software issue and recalls https://paultan.org/2014/02/11/honda-dct-recall/

However Honda has opted not to use the dct in export models, jazz, city & hrv so there is very limited information available regarding these specific gearboxes even on other sites.

In Sri Lanka also there were reports of gearboxes overheating in long runs.

Since our experience with dct gearboxes in general is minimal it would be difficult to say if it's how it's suppose to be or of its a fault.
I don't know if there is anyone specialized dct transmissions but maybe Stafford can help you out. Better get it checked before any further damage is done.

9 minutes ago, The Stig said:

The grace shares a 7 speed dual clutch gb with the fit and vezel. There were reports on the software issue and recalls https://paultan.org/2014/02/11/honda-dct-recall/

However Honda has opted not to use the dct in export models, jazz, city & hrv so there is very limited information available regarding these specific gearboxes even on other sites.

In Sri Lanka also there were reports of gearboxes overheating in long runs.

Since our experience with dct gearboxes in general is minimal it would be difficult to say if it's how it's suppose to be or of its a fault.
I don't know if there is anyone specialized dct transmissions but maybe Stafford can help you out. Better get it checked before any further damage is done.

I checked my car's information with recalls issued - There is no recall or reported issues for it.

Anyway, I will drop by Stafford so they can check it out.

Any idea what they will charge for just checking it? - I've heard claims that stafford charges exuberant amounts for just nominal things.

are you sure its the clutch that you feel. Normally you feel a small vibration when vehicle shift from EV mode. I think the slight hesitation is normal. Its the same with my Vezel which i have been using since Jan 2015 without any issues.

With regard to agent i did a scan on the vehicle and it cost 5000/- including the battery from what i can remember

Edited by Quiet
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2017 at 4:47 PM, Quiet said:

are you sure its the clutch that you feel. Normally you feel a small vibration when vehicle shift from EV mode. I think the slight hesitation is normal. Its the same with my Vezel which i have been using since Jan 2015 without any issues.

With regard to agent i did a scan on the vehicle and it cost 5000/- including the battery from what i can remember

I am not quite sure what the vibration is.

I don't see other issues what so ever. (I did a 5000km server on Stafford, and they did not tell me anything is wrong - So guess I'm being bit paranoid)

Thanks for pricing info. If I really can't take it, I guess I'll go to Stafford with the Car. Maybe, I need couple thousand more km's to get used to it.

Edited by trex
  • Like 1

Hi Trex, All Honda VEZEL, FIT GP5 and Grace share the same Dual clutch technology called by Honda as iDCT. 

This has dual twin manual gear sets coupled together and controlled electronically so that it appear to be an Automatic transmission for the end user.

odd and even gears are connected to engine and electric motor and when there is a gear change between motor and engine that produce a jerk in low speeds. This is completely normal according to my experience. I am having a FIT and also driven GRACE as well.

This dual clutch need a fluid change every 40 000 km intervals

15 hours ago, trex said:

I've seen so many Honda Grace cars on streets.

Is there no one in the forum that can offer some insite into how it feels (specially if you guys can feel the clutch engaging/disengaging)?

Check the response below:

I've sold my 2015 grace few months back and it too had some hesitation when you need quick power. I thought that was normal in economy mode. But car was fully inspected at the Stafford before the sale and they said "software for the gearbox was not properly installed and gear changing was not smooth due to that". Cost for the reinstallation is Rs 3500.

On 08/08/2017 at 4:53 PM, trex said:

I think I miss the "smoothness" of Leaf. However, I don't see other issues what so ever. (I did a 5000km server on Stafford, and they did not tell me anything is wrong - So guess I'm being bit paranoid)

Sometimes, this could help you understand the DCT.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/videos/a29777/dual-clutch-transmission-durability-reliability/

IMO, comparing it with EV car may not be appropriate. The engine operation in both cars are incomparable.

1 hour ago, H.C said:

I've sold my 2015 grace few months back and it too had some hesitation when you need quick power. I thought that was normal in economy mode. But car was fully inspected at the Stafford before the sale and they said "software for the gearbox was not properly installed and gear changing was not smooth due to that". Cost for the reinstallation is Rs 3500.

Did the software reinstallation solved the issues in the DCT?

The problem with Dual cluth gearbox is it can fail after 40k on odo. Therefore; You should change clutch oil (I think only 1l required n doesnt cost either) near this mileage. Even if you do, thrs still a possibility of getting a defective clutch. N constant aggressive driving cause this as well. U shud not keep on rev up n drive like a its end of the world. It can degrade the life of the box n strand u on road.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the low pulling power is just the nature of the car.I've driven a grace for about 3-4kms including hills,stretches and bends.It was also a new car(less than 5000km done).During low speeds,u need to push the pedal hard,but still the engine hesitates to gain power.What I think is the honda's new sport hybrid system is not as smooth as the previous ima system,which was much less complicated.But when the engine is in high revs thats a whole another story.pretty quick.But recently the owner of that grace told me he notices strange noises(he used an insight for about 5 years doing about 150k kms without any issue).Better to get ur car inspected

On 8/10/2017 at 0:36 PM, Kingston777 said:

The problem with Dual cluth gearbox is it can fail after 40k on odo. Therefore; You should change clutch oil (I think only 1l required n doesnt cost either) near this mileage. Even if you do, thrs still a possibility of getting a defective clutch. N constant aggressive driving cause this as well. U shud not keep on rev up n drive like a its end of the world. It can degrade the life of the box n strand u on road.

What is the point of sport mode and peddle shift ???

2 hours ago, DhoRK said:

I think the low pulling power is just the nature of the car.I've driven a grace for about 3-4kms including hills,stretches and bends.It was also a new car(less than 5000km done).During low speeds,u need to push the pedal hard,but still the engine hesitates to gain power.What I think is the honda's new sport hybrid system is not as smooth as the previous ima system,which was much less complicated.But when the engine is in high revs thats a whole another story.pretty quick.But recently the owner of that grace told me he notices strange noises(he used an insight for about 5 years doing about 150k kms without any issue).Better to get ur car inspected

At high revs these hybrids are not as sooth as the std engines, it makes a terrible rattling noise and eventually you pull the peddle back out of mechanical sympathy or for fear for the engine. I don't think these engines are intended to rev.

3 hours ago, kush said:

At high revs these hybrids are not as sooth as the std engines, it makes a terrible rattling noise and eventually you pull the peddle back out of mechanical sympathy or for fear for the engine. I don't think these engines are intended to rev.

I don't think so.I know a guy,probably not a friend,who abuses his GP5.High revs are nothing for him and even does drifting.For about 2 years he has been doing this type of abusing and still the car is fine.I dunno maybe in sometime he'll get both of his balls busted by an accident.

6 hours ago, kush said:

well, I don't have a problem with high revs in my Grace. in fact, i like the VTEC kick. In Honda's the hybrid engine is quite good, unlike the Toyota's where they don't rev (or ain't allowed by ECU - can't really say as i never owned one, but just driven few) or have a comparably less acceleration. Of course the hybrid cars are generally not made to rev or be driven like mad, but given the opportunity Grace will actually do it really good.

if i put the car to S mode i do not get the hesitation from gear box at all (of course the fuel economy becomes crap). 

anyway i will get the car checked out by stafford when i get to the next sercice.

Edited by trex
spelling mistakes
  • Thanks 1

Hi Coolthara,

No big issues if you look after the car properly. I am not an expert but using a Grace from 2015 Oct. As per the service engineers advice I check the Duel Clutch oil too when doing it's periodic service and changed once when changing the gear oil. 52000 on the clock now. 

As mentioned in my previous post I switch off Econ mode in heavy traffic and hills. Agree with trex. It is a good car.

• Like 2

I assume you are referring the gear oil. I was advised to change at 40,000 on the clock together with Duel clutch oil. The mechanic who did the job said he noticed the Duel clutch oil slugged even before the normal oil change intervals in some cars. Therefore as a habit I ask them to check the Duel clutch oil too in every periodic service. Safety is better than cure. LOL 

• Like 2

FIt GP5 due to the weight might be having the best pulling out of the three that share the same engine.

What you say seems normal when compared to a GP5. I think it happens when on EV mode usually.

Any you can check for recalls with below link (but yours is a newer version so maybe there aren't any.

http://recallsearch4.honda.co.jp/sqs/r001/R00101.do?fn=link.disp

There's an FB group where you can find more owners. From what I read there were few older Grace s which had clutch issues but maybe due to maintenance issues

• Like 1

I assume you are referring the gear oil. I was advised to change at 40,000 on the clock together with Duel clutch oil. The mechanic who did the job said he noticed the Duel clutch oil slugged even before the normal oil change intervals in some cars. Therefore as a habit I ask them to check the Duel clutch oil too in every periodic service. Safety is better than cure. LOL 

[emoji4] Thanks again
From where u do the services?
Recently I contacted a technician of Stafford and he advised me to change from D to N during traffice and be aware on the hills?

Any driving habbit should follow?

I do not know it is Ok with the admin to publish the names. It is a place near Kettharama cricket stadium. PM me if you need the exact name of the place.

I really don't have any idea about the consequences of changing gears from D to N frequently in traffic. Hope an expert in this forum will help.

For me it is little difficult to shift the smaller gearlever to N often. 

What I do  (switch off Econ mode) is Ok with me to have a better run in traffic and hills with minimum jerk ,normally these duel clutch drives have. 

I do not think much about fuel economy. But apply light throttle and avoid heavy breaking. Use cruise control in highways and specially keep a good tire pressure and clean air filter. Use 95 octane. My car does average 19 to 22 and it is Ok with me.

Please note : I am not an expert on this. LOL

Edited by RKTS
  • Like 2