• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid Battery Rebuilding to 95% of its original state

ravindus

Hi All, I have seen this advertisement(from a famous hybrid service station) saying that it is possible to recondition/rebuild the "NiMH battery packs to perform at up to 95% of its original capacity". I called the place and got to know that,

• Procedure takes three days,
  • Procedure called "Battery conditioning" and claims it's American technology,
  • This is not cell replacement. 
  • Cost will depend on the condition of the battery(how much of the current battery can be recovered, they said) - Min cost is close to a second-hand battery pack
  • Rebuild battery will be released with a  1-year warranty.
  • They claim that after the rebuilding procedure it is good as brand new.

Do you any of you have knowledge on this. Is it a legitimate claim and is it possible to do that?

I searched the forum and couldn't find related topics. Hence decided to open a new topic. :) 

Edited by ravindus
found more info

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎04 at 9:43 AM, ravindus said:

it is good as brand new.

if its good as brand new it should have brand new manufacturers guarantee of 8-10 years isn't it? Simple example is what will happen if you use a pentorch with half aged and new batteries. Eventually all batteries will degrade faster than usual.

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2017 at 11:39 PM, ajm said:

if its good as brand new it should have brand new manufacturers guarantee of 8-10 years isn't it? Simple example is what will happen if you use a pentorch with half aged and new batteries. Eventually all batteries will degrade faster than usual.

ajm Yes. I think "good as brand new" is more of metaphorical. At least they give 1-year warranty. The thing I understood from their claim is that rebuilding the battery *might* be better than replacing cells or replacing the whole battery with a used one.