• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Reliable car around 4.5mil

Niroshan_AM

Question

Hello friends,

I'm thinking about buying my first car next month for around 4.5. (5 million max). My concerns are reliability, space, comfort, easy maintenance, availability and low cost parts. i was going to buy a 2007-2010 allion or a premio, but previous posts on autolanka made me doubt about its reliability especially cvt box. 

What are the other cars that are in allion/premio class (space/comfort/features) but are more reliable?

i dont mind few less kmpl or resale value (second hand vehicle is already depreciated anyway). Performance is not a big issue. i dont want to reach 100kmph in 5 seconds. :D.

Thank you.. :)

Edited by Niroshan_AM

11 answers to this question

Well..for starters....its not like the Allion/Premio CVT is the end of the world or anything. There were no serious defects and recalls on the CVT unit. Its a thing common to CVTs and any other component in a car. If not properly cared for it will break; let it be an Allion/Premio, Nissan or a Honda. Granted CVTs in general might not have the robustness of the old school AT or MT transmissions. Allions/Premios came by the ship load so you hear more stories of that breaking than anything else. Also, 80% of the Allion/Premio buyers bought it to show off and are too cheap to maintain them. You will hear similar CVT issues with the old Fit, Vitz etc...and then other issues with another car, and the list goes on. So if you are planning on buying a car that has no issues then you will be waiting for a long time. There is no such thing as a perfect car.

So if you find an honest, clean Allion/Premio; that has actually been taken care of with proper scheduled preemptive maintenance work and running services carried out; you should not run away from it just because of stories of a CVT box failing. IF that is what you want and desire.

But seriously..those things are seriously over priced. You can buy a Mark X of similar vintage which is a much more luxurious and funner car for the same price or less. Granted Mark Xs are really hard to come by.

You won't find many other options in the same category from Japan but you do get better options in higher categories like an Accord, Mark X (if you can find one) or Teana of the same era. There are also quite a few Euro options but I am not sure if you would be ready for the joy and discipline required to take care of one being a new car owner and all.

Are you sure you don't want something like a Lancer EX or a Civic ?

• Like 1

You can also think about the Korean options as well. The Elantra, Cerato, Sonata and the Optima. Reliability wise they are good cars. No issues if you maintain properly. You get better looks and interior than the allion/premio and in some cases better kit as well.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Niroshan_AM said:

Thank you lkRavenJor-el for your answers and iRage's nice explanation.

I like Civic FD4. interior, exterior looks and features. especially the meter cluster. i have never been in a civic fd series. is it comfy and spacious compared to allions and premios?

Mmm....depends on what you are looking for in comfort. The Allion/Premio has a very soft spongy ride whilst the FD has a bit more firmness to the ride. Because of the soft spongy suspension driving an Allion/Premio has a very lazy feel whilst the FD feel a bit more lively. Space wise I would say they both are pretty much equal in how spacey it feels with slight differences on how you would perceive it because of the differences in shape and space utilization.

Personally, I think if you are somewhat young and like driving the FD would be a better choice over the Allion/Premio. The Allion/Premio would be a decent alternative if you want a comfy cruiser for you and your kids. Go look at a few FDs and see if you can have a test drive or two on both types of cars. If you are okay with a slightly smaller car than an Allion/Premio the Axela is also a decent choice. 

Also....don't blow your entire budget on buying the car. So if what you can comfortably afford is 4.5mil...aim at spending about 4.2mil or even less (unless of course you have a decent amount of residual cash lying around on top of the 4.5mil). No matter how well the car is; you probably will, and should, do some pre-emptive work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Go for a Hybrid mcn :) maintain will a bit expensive, or else check Nissan J31 also comfortable good power space is also great, no trouble at all. but parts are expensive. if you are more into kmpl go for a hybrid. if not go for a luxury car, price is very cheap and they dont give any trouble easily (does around 8 - 10 kmpl) this is my opinion :) 

9 hours ago, Niroshan_AM said:

thank you iRage and nisala4423 . but im not into hybrids..

teana camry and markx are bit hard to find..:mellow:

since honda fd series is discontinued, how about the spare parts availability and cost?

what about the lancer ex spares?

In any car, although the model gets changed the parts get continued;...let it be Honda, Nissan or Toyota, the manufacturers will make the parts for quite sometime. On top of that, for popular cars there are be plenty of OEM options as well for parts.

Personally, I find the Civic better than the Lancer EX (which is a bit plasticy and cheap looking); but then the Lancer boys love it...

There are plenty of Camrys around....so I don't know why you say Camrys are hard to find. 

After considering three allions and one fd1, I bought a 2008 Allion. its a genuine mileage (82K), company maintained vehicle with all document proof from the import so i guess i wouldn't have to worry too much about poor maintenance issues. my mind was drifting between the fd1 and allion but my dad insisted on buying the allion.

I love the fd1's tons of features and look of an alien space ship. thank goes to @iRage for pointing me at that amazing vehicle. I will definitely consider a Honda when i would be able to upgrade on my own.

Thank you for all the replies and your time.