• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying First Car

Nuwans

Hi  all.
I  am new to this group and i haven't used any vehicle before. I  am planning to buy a used car around 2Mn - 2.5 Mn.
My options are Honda Civic, Honda city, Mitshubishi Lancer or Similar Nissan car. 
Can anyone tell me Advantages/Disadvantages/Things I should know about  Mitsubishi Lancer /Civic/City

Thank You

Edited by Nuwans
adding

Bro its advisable to go through earlier threads before opening a new one for a deeper idea on this topic.

Anyway as of for your budget its actually a good choice to go for a Japanese car considering its resale value and low repair costs.

Well these are my opinions on the cars u requested

Honda Civic ES/EK models- Good Resale value and Easy direct bolt on upgrades with super stealth, Fuel economy worked like 8-10 when i used an Es-5 Facelift model. Repair and maintenance is not that cheap compared to Toyotas and Nissans but doesn't require constant attention. Engine pickup is fair with the 1.6 I-Vtec and comfort wise its a real achiever. As a whole its a good daily driver

Lancer CK2/CS - never used one but from my friends car it works around 9-12 according to him. Acceleration was fair enough and the overall maintenence seems to be fine. Easy modifications are available direct bolt on.

Honda City - Once again havent owned one but know many people who use them- There are 2 models the Japanese one that shares the same design of the Fit Aria and another variant from Thailand.

The 2001-2 model Variant is the Thailand model and well i cant comment on this as i have never driven this model

The 2003 - 2008 model is the Japanese Variant with a much more spacious and modern design. Its 1300 cc model Lags acceleration most of the time but does well in fuel averaging about 10-12.  While the 1500 CC model does well in  terms of acceleration much better but as the general logic it drops economy by 9-10. The interior is all plastic but well built and is much elegant. The seats are much wider and comfortable while offering All power shutters and mirrors and many more tech luxuries including Aux jacks for the factory stereo. Trims and parts available around the country and isnt much expensive comparatively. The 7 Speed CVT Gearbox is pretty much on the durability depending on the way you use it but offers quite smooth gear changes. But you can easily Blow this CVT so do be careful when looking for this car.

Overall all what matters is what satisfies you most. Spend some time and inspect many options and go for one which suits you best. I personally recommend going for a Honda in terms of reliability and Comfort  but it all depends on the way you maintain the car.

Hope I helped. Please feel free to contact me if you need any further support!. And well theres many experts here so you myt be able to get a clear vision on this topic..

Thnx

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your time HaeylM.  I  think I have to study more about this topic before asking another question. 
Honestly , i  don't even know the meanings of some terms that you used here. (Such as "Direct bolt On" )

Thanks  again

7 hours ago, HaeylM said:

Honda City - Once again havent owned one but know many people who use them- There are 2 models the Japanese one that shares the same design of the Fit Aria and another variant from Thailand.

The 2001-2 model Variant is the Thailand model and well i cant comment on this as i have never driven this model

The 2003 - 2008 model is the Japanese Variant with a much more spacious and modern design. Its 1300 cc model Lags acceleration most of the time but does well in fuel averaging about 10-12.  While the

Actually the 2003-2008 model you are referring to (the GD series) was produced in Thailand in a few other countries including India and China. I am pretty certain the Fit Aria (JDM version of the City) was imported from Thailand. Thailand was the main manufacturing hub for the City (even at that time) for the Asian and a few other markets (for the fit). Granted Malaysia and India produced it in small numbers for sub regional markets. 

The Fit Aria as always been marketed as a car manufactured in Thailand so there is no reason why Honda would produce the City you are referring to in Japan when the Japanese variant itself is imported from Thailand.

Heck...even the Grace in Japan was initially assembled in Thailand until production was moved to Japan not too long ago.

Edited by iRage

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Actually the 2003-2008 model you are referring to (the GD series) was produced in Thailand in a few other countries including India and China. I am pretty certain the Fit Aria (JDM version of the City) was imported from Thailand. Thailand was the main manufacturing hub for the City (even at that time) for the Asian and a few other markets (for the fit). Granted Malaysia and India produced it in small numbers for sub regional markets. 

The Fit Aria as always been marketed as a car manufactured in Thailand so there is no reason why Honda would produce the City you are referring to in Japan when the Japanese variant itself is imported from Thailand.

Heck...even the Grace in Japan was initially assembled in Thailand until production was moved to Japan not too long ago.

Yes i totally agree on you about the possibility of the city being thai but the fit aria gave me Jaai and even the auction sheet and other bits i checked on the car prooved it to be JDM than an assembled one... Well the Es5, 4 years back itself i sold for 2.9 so its out of reach for this budget and even the aria 2008 was like 2.7,  2 yrs back but have seen the 2003 model of this for 2.5 thts y i suggested it.. And the Es 8 n Ek3 s also go much in his budget... 

5 hours ago, HaeylM said:

Yes i totally agree on you about the possibility of the city being thai but the fit aria gave me Jaai and even the auction sheet and other bits i checked on the car prooved it to be JDM than an assembled one... Well the Es5, 4 years back itself i sold for 2.9 so its out of reach for this budget and even the aria 2008 was like 2.7,  2 yrs back but have seen the 2003 model of this for 2.5 thts y i suggested it.. And the Es 8 n Ek3 s also go much in his budget... 

Nope..the Fit Aria came to Japan from Thailand. Double checked and every Japanese profile I could read about the car says so (even the one on the Honda website). 

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market..JDM does not indicate where it was assembled (yes in Japan you get JDM BMWs and Mercs and in the US you get USDM Land Cruisers). Thus, a Fit Aria, can be assembled in another country specifically for the JDM. When the Grace, a JDM model, was first released it was fully manufactured in Thailand for the Japanese market (now it is assembled in Japan). Same goes for electronics (mostly from China) to household items. Thus, the Fit Aria was built for JDM in Thailand.

When the Fit Aria was IMPORTED TO JAPAN FROM THAILAND by Honda Japan, the car would be  sold to a Japanese customer/person through a Japanese Honda dealer....obvioulsy it will have the Japanese Honda dealership stickers, registration certificates in Japan, Japanese dealership service stickers, Japanese gvt. road worthy test (shaken) and inspection stickers, etc....

When the above car is sold by its original owner in Japan he/she would probably trade it in to a dealer for a new car. The dealer would try to sell it on their used car lot or send it to auction. In Japan 90% of cars are traded through auctions so this includes all cars irrespective of country of assembly/manufacture. 

The auction sheet does not say country of assembly/manufacturer (at least not for a Japanese car). Anyway, the Auction Sheet is there for any car that goes through a Japanese auction irrespective of where it was manufactured.

The JAAI certificates are there for cars that are exported FROM Japan to countries that require certification. Again, doesn't matter where the car was assembled in. If the car is exported from Japan to a country that needs a certificate you get it. Thus, a 2004 BMW 320i in Sri Lanka that was bought down from Japan will have an auction sheet (if it was sold through the auction) and a JAAI certificate. That doesn't mean the BMW was assembled/manufactured in Japan.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, iRage said:

Nope..the Fit Aria came to Japan from Thailand. Double checked and every Japanese profile I could read about the car says so (even the one on the Honda website). 

JDM = Japanese Domestic Market..JDM does not indicate where it was assembled (yes in Japan you get JDM BMWs and Mercs and in the US you get USDM Land Cruisers). Thus, a Fit Aria, can be assembled in another country specifically for the JDM. When the Grace, a JDM model, was first released it was fully manufactured in Thailand for the Japanese market (now it is assembled in Japan). Same goes for electronics (mostly from China) to household items. Thus, the Fit Aria was built for JDM in Thailand.

When the Fit Aria was IMPORTED TO JAPAN FROM THAILAND by Honda Japan, the car would be  sold to a Japanese customer/person through a Japanese Honda dealer....obvioulsy it will have the Japanese Honda dealership stickers, registration certificates in Japan, Japanese dealership service stickers, Japanese gvt. road worthy test (shaken) and inspection stickers, etc....

When the above car is sold by its original owner in Japan he/she would probably trade it in to a dealer for a new car. The dealer would try to sell it on their used car lot or send it to auction. In Japan 90% of cars are traded through auctions so this includes all cars irrespective of country of assembly/manufacture. 

The auction sheet does not say country of assembly/manufacturer (at least not for a Japanese car). Anyway, the Auction Sheet is there for any car that goes through a Japanese auction irrespective of where it was manufactured.

The JAAI certificates are there for cars that are exported FROM Japan to countries that require certification. Again, doesn't matter where the car was assembled in. If the car is exported from Japan to a country that needs a certificate you get it. Thus, a 2004 BMW 320i in Sri Lanka that was bought down from Japan will have an auction sheet (if it was sold through the auction) and a JAAI certificate. That doesn't mean the BMW was assembled/manufactured in Japan.

Nice bunch of information @iRage

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Country of origin is not the same as country of manufacturing.

8 hours ago, iRage said:

Yes did some research on google..  Its Thai... Thnx for the info bro.... And shocked to know the Grace is also Thai... 

Yeah I get your point... Is there any way to identify the country of manufacture from the car itself before I buy from a dealer.. 

Thnx

1 hour ago, HaeylM said:

Yes did some research on google..  Its Thai... Thnx for the info bro.... And shocked to know the Grace is also Thai... 

Yeah I get your point... Is there any way to identify the country of manufacture from the car itself before I buy from a dealer.. 

Thnx

The Grace  was imported to Japan from Thailand when it was first introduced ; mainly because the Thai plant had the presses and other production processes in place for the City. Last year or so they moved production of the Grace to Japan and is built along with the Fit (being the same platform and all). I think it is also because the Grace has all these fancy safety equipment and stuff that the Thais are not equipped to do yet.

Personally I don't think you need to care that much about where the JDM unit was assembled/manufactured. The cars made for the JDM I think are made with a bit more stringent quality measures and specifications that meet the Japanese market and quality standards, even though they are made along side the same model intended for a different market. There was a time cars like the Corolla were made in Japan for multiple regions and then shipped out and they were very different cars.  Same goes for electronics...I am seeing the same TV and A/Cs manufactured in Vietnam for the SEA region and Japan and they are totally different in many aspects.

Uhhhmmm...the ID plate will say Made in Thailand ? as well as Honda Motor...Thailand. 

The following is from a ID plate of the Fit Aria that was for sale in Japan :) :

BF85709_27.jpg

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HaeylM said:

Thnx

This is what i understood (not sure 100% correct):

there is way (but unfortunately can not be applied for JDMs ), check the first letter (or might be a digit) of the VIN (or chassis number). if it starts with "J" then it was manufactured in Japan (M=shared by few Asian countries including India)

Edited by MV-5

Country of Origin = country where any consignment (including vehicles, machinery, sugar, dhal etc.) is shipped out of. It's taken from the shipping documents. It has nothing to do with the country of manufacture.

In this day and age, there's no point of even talking about country of manufacture. Engine may come from Malaysia, seats from China, Body shell fabricated in Japan, Airbag sensors from Sri Lanka (Takata airbag sensors are made in Sri Lanka), Lamps from Belgium etc. etc. etc.... u get what I mean...

• Like 1

• MADZ featured this topic