• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Fit GP5 2014 - Heating Problem

GayangaK

Question

I own a Honda Fit GP5 2014 model. Recently i did a 'full' service at a reputed service station (Matara branch) and after a long journey (60 km) car started heating up with error lights including check engine lights. I stopped the car and opened the bonnet to see that the radiator cap is missing (I did not double check after the service - I know it's my bad, No time) and the radiator coolant spread all around the engine area. I informed the service station and they came all the way (100 km) to check my problem. They even accepted that it was their fault (salute!) and found the cap inside. Then they did this and that with a scanner and some other tools for more than 6 hours to find out that the radiator coolant pump is malfunctioning (a fuse was repeatedly operational and the radiator fan was not working in high frequency). They brought a reconditioned part and repaired the car. They ran a full scan and had a trial run and recommended me to have a engine wash. I have not used the car since and would like your expert opinion on what I should do.

I have concerns like whether there can be other parts damaged or prone to damage due to coolant spill or over heating? Do you recommend me to take the car to Honda or other repair personal before using? What else should i do?

Really appreciate your thoughts.

Thank You.

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum!

One thing you should not do is wash the engine because it can do more harm than good. My recommendation would be to use an aerosol degreaser, spray lightly (avoiding electrics) and wipe with clean rags.I assume most of the spillage is towards the front of the engine near the radiator, so you can rinse that area with water if required.

From your story, it looks to me that they have forgotten to secure the radiator cap properly and made use of the opportunity to replace the fan. Now that this is done, just keep and eye on your temperature meter while driving and continue to drive. If the car shows no error indicators and temperature remains normal, then you should be OK. 

It wouldn't hurt to open the bonnet and check what's in there for a change you know... :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

This is a common issue with service stations they forget to tighten wheel nuts, replace fluid reservoir caps etc.  Even at the agent better to open and check everything is in order. It takes only few seconds.

• Like 1