• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steering wheel vibration when idling

Iced-T

Question

Hi all,

I get excessive steering wheel vibration on idle, my idle rev is around 900Rpm (with aircon running). But when I give it a little bit of gas it stops (around 1000RPM).

The vibration is only when the car is idling. 

My engine mounts are new.

Any help is much appreciated.  

Iced-T

Edited by Iced-T

2 answers to this question

If I were you, I'd double check the engine and transmission mounts, just in case they're broken. Does the engine also vibrate when idle?

Are you able to put force and try to move the steering wheel laterally (side to side) and up and down along the axis of the steering shaft. If you feel excessive free play, then you're probably looking at a worn bush or bearing between the wheel to the steering linkages.

22 hours ago, Davy said:

If I were you, I'd double check the engine and transmission mounts, just in case they're broken. Does the engine also vibrate when idle?

Are you able to put force and try to move the steering wheel laterally (side to side) and up and down along the axis of the steering shaft. If you feel excessive free play, then you're probably looking at a worn bush or bearing between the wheel to the steering linkages.

Thanks Davy, I got this vibration as soon as I fixed a vibration on the drivers side door :rolleyes:. Anyway there is no play on the steering wheel. The engine seems to be vibrating the normal amount I think. I tried recording it but on the video nothing can be seen.

But ur right it cant be anything other than the mounts or the steering bushes. I hope i dont have to put the car in for more than a day. These are busy times.