• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is Proton GEN 2 is still a good choice ?

Dina123

I am hoping to buy my 1st car and got a maximum budget of 1.9 mil for that. And also I am a newbie here. I was going through available cars and found that Proton Gen2 is quite pleasing. This car is 1.3cc 2004 model marked at 1.89 mil and has a mileage of 78000km s. Service records of past year support that fact. Car was bought and registered in 2007 so relatively newer than the cars I was looking(Japan ones). So I went through almost all the forum posts about this car in this forum. But most of them are dated back at 2012 or earlier. So is this car still a good one to go for ?  How about the spares availability ? And finally the fuel consumption ? 8kml or above is okay for me since I won't be travelling daily with the car. I am kind of concerned with spares availability. Please note that i am new to this subject. Else what other options I got for the tight budget I have ?   

I would chuck those service records out of the window. Service records of the 'past year' support that fact? Seriously are you that stupid?

Also 1.3 ltr version won't give you the driving pleasure of the 1.6 ltr car. 1.3 also came with lesser options than the 1.6

I can't comment on the fuel economy because I haven't driven the 1.3 version. But 8kmpl would be very optimistic. Expect around 7 7 on average. 

Spares shouldn't be a big issue as it has common components between Mitsubishis. You can also find bits and pieces on eBay.

As for whether its a good car to go for - it will all depend on the way the car is maintained. No one can comment on it without seeing the car. 

If you are looking for a lower engine capacity car for everyday use try a compact hatch like an elite, astar or alto box model... But if you want a sedan and good reliability try for something like a honda city,civic Ek or lancer ck2 etc...  Just go thru alot of classifieds and try find something more common... Its easier for u to insure them, repair and even for aftersale.... Comfort wise also they bring in more options like easy uphostery upgrades, pannels for DVD headunit upgrades n stuff.. Cuz ur spending almost 2 mil i think its better for you to spend a bit more time and make a good choice in that budget 

Hope i helped 

Thnx

@Crosswind found 2 1600 CC vehicles which were manufactured @ 2006 for 2.1 mili. Thanks for clearing out the parts related question. And also is there any good mechanic you know of so I can check the car ?  @HaeylM Actually engine capacity is not a problem as long as if it does 8-10 kmpl. And your point is also valid. Thanks for the help :)

Well many mechanics including very well known friends of mine arent that familliar with Malaysian cars so i'd say check with a mechanic around the place you inspect the car.. And well if ur extending your budget a bit more to 2.1Mil I'd suggest you spend a bit more time and find a car broker or a good friend from a car sale to help you out to find a better option. On the long run for everyday use i think its better for you to go for a Japanese car cuz every tom dick and harry will know basic diagnostics to check the car on a test run thoroughly and as i said its easier to handle around in terms of maintainence reliability and sales..  If you arent that familliar with many brokers or sales agents let me know ill check with some people i know.. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HaeylM said:

Well many mechanics including very well known friends of mine arent that familliar with Malaysian cars so i'd say check with a mechanic around the place you inspect the car.. And well if ur extending your budget a bit more to 2.1Mil I'd suggest you spend a bit more time and find a car broker or a good friend from a car sale to help you out to find a better option. On the long run for everyday use i think its better for you to go for a Japanese car cuz every tom dick and harry will know basic diagnostics to check the car on a test run thoroughly and as i said its easier to handle around in terms of maintainence reliability and sales..  If you arent that familliar with many brokers or sales agents let me know ill check with some people i know.. 

How smooth... :)

@Dina123 - my advice to you is stay away from car brokers. They get the bigger cut from the seller so you can guess the rest...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

@Dina123 - my advice to you is stay away from car brokers. They get the bigger cut from the seller so you can guess the rest...

Agree stay away from brokers. they will never recommend you a good vehicle but one for which they get a higher commission. Better off paying some professional to check the selected cars out and make a decision.

The automatic version of the Gen2 (1600CC) had a gear box issue. Just check on that. Also the car gets run down very soon. Eg- The steering wheel gets tight, engine smoothness reduces drastically,etc. However spare parts are cheap. Just be careful with the gear box issue in the automatic version. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2017 at 10:51 AM, Crosswind said:

Yeah Totally Agree with that :D.... But they do find you a more attractive price for common cars than those people who demand big for their home used cars on classifieds. Well at the end of the day no matter how much of a cut the broker gets if we are able to find a car that satisfies our mind for a cheaper rate than the market then we've all won ^_^. Most of the car sale people you go to check with buy cars directly from brokers to save up a mass than the I**an.*l and other classified advertisers. so its just an opinion to get a wider view of the market.. well if you are able to find a good car thats satisfying enough even from a private seller then go for it... at the end of the day what really matters is your value to what you purchased.

thnx

A reason why people go through sales or brokers to sell their cars is that they don't like to face the buyer. The main reason is that something is wrong with the car. It's met with an accident or is pending a major repair.
In that instance using a middle man makes the seller kind of immune as most of the praising will be done by the middle man so that the seller can say I didn't say that.
And that's the reason they go for cheaper prices. Because face it they are lemons.
Only a broker will advise it's better to buy through a broker.
The only vehicle we sold through a car sale (was one we got from one) was because it had met with an accident overheated and the engine was gasping for it's last breath. We sold it to a broker for cheap cause we didn't want to get involved in a crappy deal. He had cheated another buyer and got top doller for it

• Like 2

On 7/23/2017 at 11:07 AM, HaeylM said:

Yeah Totally Agree with that :D.... But they do find you a more attractive price for common cars than those people who demand big for their home used cars on classifieds. Well at the end of the day no matter how much of a cut the broker gets if we are able to find a car that satisfies our mind for a cheaper rate than the market then we've all won ^_^. Most of the car sale people you go to check with buy cars directly from brokers to save up a mass than the I**an.*l and other classified advertisers. so its just an opinion to get a wider view of the market.. well if you are able to find a good car thats satisfying enough even from a private seller then go for it... at the end of the day what really matters is your value to what you purchased.

thnx

Dude... seriously... stop trying to justify your existence. You can be a car broker and be a part of this forum.. no issue on that but you can't do guerilla marketing here.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

Dude... seriously... stop trying to justify your existence. You can be a car broker and be a part of this forum.. no issue on that but you can't do guerilla marketing here.

Haha..  No worries of what you think but i've never sold a car without it being my capital upto date..  Since i joined ive only just given my opinion upon the experience from my past cars n cars ive used..  I myt drop on some info but at the end of the day its just another rupee to the till. 

Via broker or direct sale no matter if you are know the subject. It means u have an idea about car , car market, people as well as automobile then u can face any seller or broker without any fear. 

Dont trust anyone or anything other than your master mind.

• Like 1