• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota corolla diagnostic

antis

Question

6 answers to this question

Not sure if the chinese ELM27 has necessary protocols for your vehicle's ECU (they doesn't have the protocols for OBDII standard JDM vehicles either) But communication lights should turn on when you connect to ELM27 using your smartphone/tablet using bluetooth - then it'll say it can't scan your vehicle if it's not supported

Edited by Jor-el

What is the model of this corolla? 

First of all obd 2 is a standard ecu operation protocol and not just a plug. Your cars ecu has to support the protocol. If your car doesn't have an obd 2 plug that means native support is limited. However it is still possible to get codes though it can't be guaranteed. 

Your car also has to support the obd protocols supported by the elm 327 adapter. They have the most common like iso 9142 and j1850 but if your cars protocol is different then there is no use. Your get what you pay for with these cheap elm adapters. 

A decidacted good quality handheld scan tool however will work since they support most of the obd protocols even with convertor cables. A good way to check before buying a scanner is to get the car scanned from a place and see if their scanner is able to communicate with your car. 

Also most of these cables don't work because the output pins in each car model even from the same manufacturer is different due to age, model difference, region etc. This is why when you plug in a hand held scanner it asks for your cars make model and year, so that it can recognize the signal lines.

This is one reason why obd 2 plug was implemented, to standardise the output pinout. 

I bought a similar cable for my bj since it's a Jdm and doesn't have the obd plug, but it did not work straight away. What I did was to rewire the connectors based on information from others who have done the same and it worked to a certain extent. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2017 at 5:11 PM, antis said:

My car is a TOYOTA Corolla 2.0 Diesel 1998 (model CE110)

do you know any scanner up to $50 that will work?

Well cant really guarantee that any scanner would work since i have no experience with your car.

But these are good according to others (i did some research previously when i wanted to purchase one)

i ended up buying this (still on the way);

Again no guarantees, buy at your own risk

Beauty of this model car is that you don"t need a scanner at all to scan this . can do a manual scanning. 

image.png.3883cf63dbf90487a4bcae8cf65b5c2e.png

Retrieving the trouble codes on your OBD I Toyota Corolla isn't difficult. In this tutorial I'll explain how you can do it in a step-by-step way.

Checking to see what trouble code is lighting up the check engine light (malfunction indicator light -MIL) is done by jumpering together the TE1 and E1 terminals of the Data Link Connector (DLC) with a jumper wire (with the Key On Engine Off).

Once the jumper wire is installed, the malfunction indicator light (MIL) will start flashing the trouble codes stored in the fuel injection computer's memory.

Contents of this tutorial:

·        Reading The On/Off Flashes Of The Check Engine Light.

·        Location Of The Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC).

·        Toyota OBD I Diagnostic Trouble Code Definitions.

You can find this tutorial in Spanish here: Cómo Leer Los Códigos OBD I (1990-1995 1.6L Toyota Corolla) (at: autotecnico-online.com).

Reading The On/Off Flashes Of The Check Engine Light

As mentioned at the beginning, your OBD I Toyota Corolla flashes the malfunction indicator light (MIL -also known as the check engine light CEL) once you have jumpered terminals TE1 and E1 in the diagnostic link connector (DLC).

The DLC is located on the left strut tower in the engine compartment. To see a photo of the DLC, go to:

·        Location Of The Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC)).

These are the steps to retrieve the trouble codes:

1.   Make sure your battery is fully charged before starting (its customary to place a charger on the battery while retrieving trouble codes to keep the battery from discharging).

2.   Turn the key to the On position but don't start the vehicle.

3.   Jumper terminals TE1 and E1 of the diagnostic link connector in the engine compartment.

4.   Count the number of flashes of the malfunction indicator light (MIL).

5.   If no trouble codes are present:

·       The MIL will flash continuously and evenly (see illustration below).

6.   If trouble codes are present:

·       The MIL will flash the trouble codes in a specific pattern.

·       The digits of the trouble code will be flashed at about 1/2 (.5) second intervals. A 1 1/2 (1.5) second pause will separate first and second digits of the code (see illustration above).

·       If more than one trouble code is stored, a 2 1/2 (2.5) second pause will separate the next flashed trouble code.

·       Once all trouble codes are flashed. a 4 1/2 (4.5) second pause will occur. After this 4.5 second pause, the trouble codes will be repeated.

·       Trouble codes are flashed in order of smallest to largest number.

Once you've confirmed and written down the trouble codes, remove the jumper wire from the diagnostic link connector (DLC) and turn the key to the Off position.

Location Of The Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC)

The diagnostic link connector (DLC) on your Toyota Corolla is located in the engine compartment. More specifically, it's attached to the left-side strut tower (see image above).

Toyota OBD I Diagnostic Trouble Code Definitions

1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995
EFI Toyota Corolla OBD I Trouble Code Definitions

Code

Description

ECU Battery Power Malfunction

G and NE Signal Circuit (No. 1) -RPM Signal Problem

G and NE Signal Circuit (No. 2) -RPM Signal Problem

Ignition Signal Circuit

Oxygen Sensor Circuit

Coolant Temp Sensor Circuit

Intake Air Temp Sensor Circuit

Air/Fuel Ratio Lean Malfunction

Air/Fuel Ratio Rich Malfunction

Sub-Oxygen Sensor Circuit (California Only)

Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit (MAP Sensor Equipped)

Air Flow Meter Sensor Circuit (MAF Sensor Equipped)

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Circuit Malfunction

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Signal Circuit

Starter Signal Circuit

Switch Condition Signal Circuit

Knock Sensor Signal Malfunction

Knock Control in ECU Fault

EGR System Malfunction

Fuel Cut Solenoid Signal Malfunction

image.png

• Confused 1