• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

gearbox oil

phillatrej

If the manufacturer recommends SP III then go for the same. Others like Valvoline Maxlife (even Dexron III) are said to be equivalents but will void the manufacturer's warranty.

• 3 months later...

Finally found a thread to record this, for other users awareness

So I have this daily runner a 2014 Montero Sport, Just took it in for ATF change to the agents,  Kandy branch ie. So I was there each step of the way, they took the sump off, cleaned the magnets, cleaned the filter with carb cleaner,  took off a banjo bolt on the side, let the whole thing drain out, then quick refilled the thing via a dipstick and with just 5 LITRES the dipstick levelled off, 

Anyone with even a palathsaba pajero would know these gearboxes will hold well over 9 litres, thereby after arguing with the mechanic, then taking the same to the superiors, they say that they have never filled more than 5 litres and the dipstick is on the dot. Thereafter after extensive research I found out the service manual says 9.7 litres in the gearbox, thus asking them to drain the hoses as well.

Youtube videos suggest a engine start stop technique to pump all the oil out, which they never did. Thereafter on further research I found out that due to easier running and sustainability costs, in Asian markets they advice partial ATF changes half or 2/3, every 40,000-50,000km rather than messing with the gearbox internals and pipes. Then again looking back, the jokers at the agents never knew this had 9.7 litres inside and never knew the math behind this 5 litre ATF change their computer system suggested. Also where this partial method suggests only to drain via the nut, they did take the sump apart and clean the bits. 

However my previous bills suggest they have taken charged me for 10litres of ATF with same labour charge previously in the popular Colombo branch sometime back for a similar vehicle 

Mixed theories / methods I would say, more or less is the agent running on protocol or gut feeling?

Edited by tiv

13 hours ago, tiv said:

Finally found a thread to record this, for other users awareness

So I have this daily runner a 2014 Montero Sport, Just took it in for ATF change to the agents,  Kandy branch ie. So I was there each step of the way, they took the sump off, cleaned the magnets, cleaned the filter with carb cleaner,  took off a banjo bolt on the side, let the whole thing drain out, then quick refilled the thing via a dipstick and with just 5 LITRES the dipstick levelled off, 

Anyone with even a palathsaba pajero would know these gearboxes will hold well over 9 litres, thereby after arguing with the mechanic, then taking the same to the superiors, they say that they have never filled more than 5 litres and the dipstick is on the dot. Thereafter after extensive research I found out the service manual says 9.7 litres in the gearbox, thus asking them to drain the hoses as well.

Youtube videos suggest a engine start stop technique to pump all the oil out, which they never did. Thereafter on further research I found out that due to easier running and sustainability costs, in Asian markets they advice partial ATF changes half or 2/3, every 40,000-50,000km rather than messing with the gearbox internals and pipes. Then again looking back, the jokers at the agents never knew this had 9.7 litres inside and never knew the math behind this 5 litre ATF change their computer system suggested. Also where this partial method suggests only to drain via the nut, they did take the sump apart and clean the bits. 

However my previous bills suggest they have taken charged me for 10litres of ATF with same labour charge previously in the popular Colombo branch sometime back for a similar vehicle 

Mixed theories / methods I would say, more or less is the agent running on protocol or gut feeling?

Well here my 2 cents;

Generally when you change ATF by removing the pan there is always lesser old atf coming out vs removing it via an exchanger. This is because there is atf left in the torque converter and the atf cooling tank in the radiator. But can there really be 4.7 L of ATF left ?

The proper technique afaik is to add some new atf, while its draining to pump out the old ATF from within. This may use more ATF in the process. So maybe when the service manual says 9.7L they are referring to the total oil needed to fill + flush rather than the actual capacity the transmission holds ?

Take a look at this, this was under capacities,

However when I check the dipstick, oil levels appear slightly on the high side and mostly new-ish with a tinge of old oil.

20171009_203203-001.jpg