• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Interior lights failed

alpha17

Question

Hello guys,

I got footwell illumination system for both front passengers in my corolla 121.The bulbs in this system were halogen bulbs which gave a nice glow synced with the interior dome light.When I unlock the doors,the lights used to come up together with the keyfob light eventhough the dome light was turned off.Recently I changed the footwell lights to leds at my car audio guy's place and due to the design of the bulb holders the led bulbs short circuited.It blew up a transistor in the small circuit which was dedicated to the footwell lamps.This happened to me previously and replacing the transistor solved the case and had to install the halogen bulbs instead of the leds to keep things working.And again this happened....That day I visited all the electronic parts shops in my area,but couldn't find that certain transistor which died.After that the car audio guy gave a try to make the footwell lights work without the circuit (he said that 'fading away' effect will not happen when the lights are used without the circuit).Finally he totally destroyed the whole thing!!!!previously with the footwell lights gone,dome light and the keyfob light used to work fine without any issue.This time neither the dome nor the keyfob light works!!!He tried to find the cause but he couldn't!!According to him the earth line stopped functioning.Then I took the car to a well know place in our area and they took the earth line from the dome light and connected it to the footwell lamps without the circuit.Now the footwell lamps and dome lights work.But,

-The keyfod light doesn't work

-previously when i unlock the door,all the lights dome,keyfob and footwell,light up for about 10seconds and then fades away(This happened even without the footwell lights burnt, in the previous times)But now nothing happens rather than blinking the signal lights.

-previously when i got into the car and closed the door,all the three lights stays on for about 10seconds and fades away,when the Key is not in the keyhole or when the key is in 'OFF' or 'ACC' positions.The lights go off suddenly only when the key is in the ON position.(The whole light system works just like every othercar)Now nothing happens.The dome light and footwell light show up only when i open the door and goes off when i close the door without fading.

What can i do now?I'm extremely upset about the status.....please suggest me what to do.

3 answers to this question

This is what happens when the wrong people mess with a car's electrics. Just be glad that it wasn't a critical circuit that's malfunctioning.

This is what I think you should do:

- Take the steering column trim out and check the ignition illumination bulb to make sure it's not burnt. 

- Check each fuse in the internal fuse box. 

- Get hold of the wiring diagrams for your car and try to DIY diagnose the issue or take it to a good electrician. 

- Take the car to the agent

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Davy said:

This is what happens when the wrong people mess with a car's electrics. Just be glad that it wasn't a critical circuit that's malfunctioning.

This is what I think you should do:

- Take the steering column trim out and check the ignition illumination bulb to make sure it's not burnt. 

- Check each fuse in the internal fuse box. 

- Get hold of the wiring diagrams for your car and try to DIY diagnose the issue or take it to a good electrician. 

- Take the car to the agent

Thanks.I'll give a little try.