• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Prius hybrid battety

Amal86

Question

16 answers to this question

what about The Agent? There seems to be counterfeit Chinese ones,but not sure about the safety of these if you plan to keep the car for a while. In batteries,its always about the quality. A cheap battery with more impurities can easily overheat and leak under our climate.

4 hours ago, Amal86 said:

Thank u for reply.i need a place to buy arecondition hybrid battery.

What do you mean by a re-conditioned battery? You should be able to get a used one from the contact given above.

5 hours ago, Amal86 said:

Recondition mean-only japan use battery year 2013 or above

The only thing I can say for people like u is - pakis booruwa.

Sorry.

Will u buy a used battery for your laptop? Then why do u want to buy a used battery for ur car? How do u know its only japan-used and not used in somalia? Even if its only japan used, how do u know its remaining useful life? And is 2013 some magic number where all batteries made after that are in great condition?

Like rumesh88 said ealier, replace the damaged cells with brand new cells.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Amal86 said:

Replace bad cells not a long term solution.it may not balance voltage capacity.if u not sure ask hybrid repair mechanic.

so you think that in a used battery each and every cell has the same capacity and you think that a cell become a bad cell in a instance and before "that instance" it has the same capacity that other cell has and after "that instance" it is not.

probably you might be right.my knowledge is zero when it comes to electricity or related stuffs.

Edited by MV-5
typo

27 minutes ago, Amal86 said:

Replace bad cells not a long term solution.it may not balance voltage capacity.if u not sure ask hybrid repair mechanic.

First of all, does your mechanic know the difference between voltage and capacity? And what on earth do you mean by balancing voltage capacity? is it something like keeping two batteries on two sides of a scale and checking whether they balance?

Most mechanics in this country are idiots. That's why people come to autolanka to get help. If you think mechanics know everything, then good luck.

• Like 1

i think OP means that imbalance of aging/internal impedance after replacement of individual cells(brand new cells together with 10year old cells which still have some life left) cause the "repaired" battery to deteriorate faster. Like in a Pentorch, you mix a new AA battery with a not so good one,causing imbalance and power delivery issues.And there is no guarantee that he doesn't have to take the whole thing apart again in 3 months,because one of the "good" cells at the time of repair decided to go bad. In that sense it is more sensible to replace the complete thing,where all cells are newly replaced or similarly aged.

• Like 2

Just to shed some light on the issues argued above, if you begin with a set of new cell string and pass a charging current through them, an identical current pass through all the cells. Hence assuming all electrical energy is used just for the chemical conversion inside each cell, all the cells in the string should get charged to an identical capacity. Same should happen when the battery is discharged at least in theory. But in practice nothing is so perfect. All the electrical energy is not used for the chemical process. Part of it ends up as heat. Then the internal electrical leakage of each cell is not identical. Hence after a number of charge/discharge cycles the cells will be charged to different levels at any given instance. So whether you use a brand new cells or used cells there is no guarantee that everything will be 100% perfect after a repair. All you can do is to charge (or discharge) the cells to a similar level on a test rig, install the battery back and hope for the best. So stop being so paranoid, weigh in the pros and cons of replacing the whole thing or replacing the individual cells against the cost of each option and go for the most logical one. If you have only let's say three cells bad IMO best thing is to replace them with new or even used cells. In either case you are taking a chance unless of course you replace the whole bank with a brand new one.

I agree with ajm and rumesh88.

If more than 10 cells to replace ,cell replaceing is useless.for 1 cell cost 7k.my battry checked by 2 times.both of two places told me for my hv battery cell replacement useless.my battery older than 7years.thats why i am going for new one.actually i cannot buy new one it cost more than 500k.then i have to go japan used one.i know we cannot gurante  their millage or conditions.but good battries also among them.thats why i am looking for much reliable place to buy used one.there are so many places in srilanka to buy japan used hv batteris.so please help me.

i was a auto electrician in toyota lanka , what ever other say don't repair a hybrid battery , we also did that several times but the result was so bad, you can do nothing with a waste battery , and if you thinking for a recondition battery make sure to chek the battery before replace , but now you can repair your battery, replacing all the call to new ones ,and no worry to afried about battery within 5 or more years   (eg; prius have 28 cell , replace all 28 cell to new ones) , it cost less than other maintenance  , there are brand new 2018 japan battery with warranty ,  chek it out

• Like 1

I replaced 10 cells in my 2009 3rd gen car. Two year warranty for new cells and 1 year warranty for full battery. Laughs Auto did the job. They asked me only to replace 5 cells, but I asked them to replace 10 cells. 1 cell = 10000 and 50000 for other work. They answered my all questions and I am full satisfied with their knowledge and reasoning. 

On 9/25/2018 at 8:45 AM, Piyalpy said:

I replaced 10 cells in my 2009 3rd gen car. Two year warranty for new cells and 1 year warranty for full battery. Laughs Auto did the job. They asked me only to replace 5 cells, but I asked them to replace 10 cells. 1 cell = 10000 and 50000 for other work. They answered my all questions and I am full satisfied with their knowledge and reasoning. 

so you spent 100+50 thousand rupees to replace 1/3rd of the Prius battery?