• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

KIA sportage Transmission oil change

kira

dear all, 

i drive a KIA sportage 2011 petrol version and currently 60k on the clock genuine mileage with agent maintenance records from day one. this model has a sealed type transmission and the agent recommends to change the transmission oil at 60k because driving in Sri Lanka falls under "severe"driving conditions. otherwise the manual says no need to change the transmission oil. 

today i contacted the agent to make an appointment for the transmission oil change and the appointment i got is on july since they take only a limited number of vehicles for tranny oil change since it needs to take out the whole tranny and takes 3 days. on top of that the cost is approximately 80k !!! 

80k just to change the transmission oil? or the lady who was talking to me over the phone is smoking some really good stuff these days? 

have anyone heard of this sort of a transmission oil change? any ideas or any other place that i can check this again?

appreciate your replies.

thanks 

Agents tend to cook up various reasons and excuses to bill you enormous sums, as a informed consumer you would know the abuse your car took and if this maintenance is required at this given instance, but in all every automatic gearbox does need an oil change along the way. So do a bit of online research before you go shell out.

If you are a car owner , then better to have the service (workshop) manual with you.so my advice is try to find the service manual and refer it.service (workshop) manual contains every detail related to your vehicle.

copied form the service manual :

<start copied text>

NOTE:
ATF of 6 speed automatic transaxle doesn't need to be replaced. If the vehicle is used severely in business or
personal use, replace ATF every 60,000 miles.
Severe usage is defined as
• Driving in rough road (Bumpy, Gravel, Snowy, Unpaved road, etc)
• Driving in mountain road, ascent/descent
• Repetition of short distance driving
• More than 50% operation in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 32°C(89.6°F).
• Police, Taxi, Commercial type operation or trailer towing, etc

<end copied text>

14 hours ago, MV-5 said:

If you are a car owner , then better to have the service (workshop) manual with you.so my advice is try to find the service manual and refer it.service (workshop) manual contains every detail related to your vehicle.

copied form the service manual :

<start copied text>

NOTE:
ATF of 6 speed automatic transaxle doesn't need to be replaced. If the vehicle is used severely in business or
personal use, replace ATF every 60,000 miles.
Severe usage is defined as
• Driving in rough road (Bumpy, Gravel, Snowy, Unpaved road, etc)
• Driving in mountain road, ascent/descent
• Repetition of short distance driving
• More than 50% operation in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 32°C(89.6°F).
• Police, Taxi, Commercial type operation or trailer towing, etc

<end copied text>

yes i do have the manual and what is mentioned above is correct. so i guess what the agent claims is correct. my worry is the amount of money they gonna charge for this.any other place who is specialized in Korean vehicles? 

1 hour ago, kira said:

yes i do have the manual and what is mentioned above is correct. so i guess what the agent claims is correct. my worry is the amount of money they gonna charge for this.any other place who is specialized in Korean vehicles? 

There is a slight (!) difference; 60k miles is 96k kilometers. And then, KIA Motors SL has been quoting random values between 40k km to 75k km for the severe ATF change interval, so I can see how this is all confusing.

There was a thread that discussed a similar question on Kia and although the question of when to change is fundamentally different to your question of why is this costing this much, it also makes for interesting reading. In conclusion, you will decide what is good for your vehicle and whether the ATF change is timely and worth it. A typical ATF change in SL costs anywhere between 10k to 30k depending on the model and the oil used so indeed it's a question what KIA is proposing to change for 80k. Even in the US, with the inflated labor rates the ATF change for Sorento was quoted to me at $220.

32 minutes ago, vishkid said:

There is a slight (!) difference; 60k miles is 96k kilometers. And then, KIA Motors SL has been quoting random values between 40k km to 75k km for the severe ATF change interval, so I can see how this is all confusing.

There was a thread that discussed a similar question on Kia and although the question of when to change is fundamentally different to your question of why is this costing this much, it also makes for interesting reading. In conclusion, you will decide what is good for your vehicle and whether the ATF change is timely and worth it. A typical ATF change in SL costs anywhere between 10k to 30k depending on the model and the oil used so indeed it's a question what KIA is proposing to change for 80k. Even in the US, with the inflated labor rates the ATF change for Sorento was quoted to me at $220.

thanks Vishkid for the advice and connecting me with the old thread .even though it does not answer my questions, gave an idea on whats happening with other models and brands. thanks. appreciate if anyone could let me know a specialized KIA/Hyundai repair shop. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Kira,

I won't be able to answer your question because I have not got any experience with the KIA sportage, but seeking your opinion on the KIA sportage, I'm hoping to buy a 2011 model so your input will be highly valued as a KIA user. Do share the pros and cons please.

Edited by Emac

hi Kira, Im using a Kia Sorento 2014 model and my current mileage is 50K.  I too checked with Kia sometime back and they quoted approx 75 - 80K for the Full Major Service which is including all regular servicing + transmission oil change.  I know this is still to the high side.  

If you dont want to go through the Agents, there is a place close to Pannipitiya who does Kia , LR , Ssangyong etc. Prices would be 25 - 30 K cheaper than agents.

19 hours ago, JayZ said:

And also agent recommend to change ATF at 75K along with Major service.  Not sure they asked you to do it at 60K since its a petrol version.

KIA SL has recommended ATF oil changes at a wide range from 40k to 75k in the past for Sportage, to people I know. Makes me think they are pulling these numbers from air.

I have a issue with this company as well, they insist that my Picanto needs a oil change every 5000 km where as the service book recommends change every 10000 km. 

This car is driven 100 km daily and is driven partly on express way and on good roads with moderate traffic and does not meet with any of the criterion for severe use or hash conditions.

Car is serviced every other month just to keep the warranty which is a utter waste of time and money